Sponsored by:

Metal dust in oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 07:41 PM
Boston4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
When I was researching the problem associated with bearing failure, several unfortunate owners posted pictures with a power dusted filter like what you shown. Once they removed the IMS flange and outer seal, this metal powdered substance was also caked around the inside of the bearing and probably circulating all throughout the engine judging what was found in the filter. Most of the engine expects said replacing the bearing and "flushing the system" would not prevent engine failure.
See emphasized - is that the current consensus? If you get to the point where you catch silver metal in the oil similar to the OP then the engine is terminal as a result and you might as well not bother replacing the bearing or trying to save it?
Old 11-25-2020, 08:00 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston4
See emphasized - is that the current consensus? If you get to the point where you catch silver metal in the oil similar to the OP then the engine is terminal as a result and you might as well not bother replacing the bearing or trying to save it?
IMHO, it's best the engine is fully rebuilt and have all parts addressed.

We have a strong consensus that many shops have installed new bearings in failing engines. Even with engines that are still operational, but metal contaminated from a previous failing bearing. This is why Jake Raby requires pre-qualification from certified installers and strongly recommends it to all DiYr's. They have found that installing a fresh IMS bearing in a Porsche engine that is contaminated with metal will not only take out the new bearing, but the engine with it. No winners when that happens... it hurts the owner, the shop's reputation, the bearing manufacturer as well as the patent holder (i.e. Jake Raby).

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 11-25-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:32 PM
Boston4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
IMHO, it's best the engine is fully rebuilt and have all parts addressed.

We have a strong consensus that many shops have installed new bearings in failing engines. Even with engines that are still operational, but metal contaminated from a previous failing bearing. This is why Jake Raby requires pre-qualification from certified installers and strongly recommends it to all DiYr's. They have found that installing a fresh IMS bearing in a Porsche engine that is contaminated with metal will not only take out the new bearing, but the engine with it. No winners when that happens... it hurts the owner, the shop's reputation, the bearing manufacturer as well as the patent holder (i.e. Jake Raby).
Yeah, I’m familiar with the pre-qual requirements for the LN bearings and IMS solution - was just curious about experiences from others.

I’m sure that many owners have found metal in their oil, replaced the bearing and flushed the oil, and then either sold the car or kept it. There are a tons of used 996s on the market with aftermarket bearings - no way to tell if they were replaced proactively or reactively, though.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:12 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston4
- no way to tell if they were replaced proactively or reactively, though.
I kept mine for just this reason....

Quick Reply: Metal dust in oil