Sponsored by:

Search is over - 996 40th Jahre!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 10:08 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Agree with the above regarding valve seat.
You could try a bore scope with a mirror attachment to look at the head or find a shop that have an endoscope with a controllable camera to inspect the cilinder head
I did try that but it was pretty tough to get a good picture and I was only good enough to get a mediocre image of one of the two exhaust valves, assuming it was an exhaust valve. To what theprf mentioned, the car should have been running poorly, which it has not so who knows. Even the compression numbers looked pretty even across the board. At this point, the wheels for the rebuild are in motion so I guess we will see what Brandon finds once he starts to take the engine apart. For now anyone's guess is as good as mine
Old 12-22-2023, 04:07 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,100 Posts

I am wondering if that piston damage hasn't been there all along......covered up by carbon deposits.....and why it wasn't seen in the previous inspection but became visible after cleaning the piston tops with the Redline product ....

BTW : that product did a very good job of cleaning the piston crown....
The following users liked this post:
wdb (12-22-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 03:11 AM
leoblast1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I found a 2004 40th anniversary 911 with 90K miles for $39K. 3-owner vehicle, Carfax is clean and service records from 2009-present. Service by reputable porsche independent shop.

The IMS had been done by LN Engineering-certified shop, RMS, Clutch, Plugs, Catalytic Converter, Fuel Pump and PPI came back good. Some minor things here and there like scratched front lip, one horn inoperable but nothing major. Engine, Suspension all in great shape. No leaks, etc. Paint meter readings are good.

Would buying this be a smart idea? (If anyone has some extra tips or advice that would be greatly appreciated!)
Old 12-24-2023, 06:06 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by leoblast1
So I found a 2004 40th anniversary 911 with 90K miles for $39K. 3-owner vehicle, Carfax is clean and service records from 2009-present. Service by reputable porsche independent shop.

The IMS had been done by LN Engineering-certified shop, RMS, Clutch, Plugs, Catalytic Converter, Fuel Pump and PPI came back good. Some minor things here and there like scratched front lip, one horn inoperable but nothing major. Engine, Suspension all in great shape. No leaks, etc. Paint meter readings are good.

Would buying this be a smart idea? (If anyone has some extra tips or advice that would be greatly appreciated!)
Fixed it for ya
Old 12-24-2023, 07:49 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,134 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by leoblast1

Best advice is to start your own thread.
plpete84 (12-28-2023)
Old 01-02-2024, 02:39 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Soooo 2024 is off to a start. Not the greatest one though. On my way back from a New Year's Day gravel ride I got a little too close and personal with a deer. Driving at a normal speed, as I went around a blind corner, a deer bolted across the road. When I saw it I slammed on the brakes but it was too late by that point. I didn't see it till it was already on the road as it's coat was pretty much the same color as the dead vegetation. According to my dash cam, it first hit my driver side fender, caught air, hit the windshield and flew over the top taking off my bike. No blood and no deer. It probably ran off and either lived or will die somewhere due to whatever it broke. So this kind of sucks..... Damage seems to be the following: windshield trashed, driver side fender seems to have a small dent that PDR can probably fix, driver side mirror - completely ripped off, Driver door glass seems to have a deep scratch in it either from the deer or the mirror flying off. Feel lucky that the headlight survived just fine. The bike is mostly ok, save for the carbon handlebars that are trashed. Actually, had it not been for the SeaSucker bike mount, the damage probably would have been worse to the car and bike.

Here is the damage:

I opened a case with Geico already and will work with their adjuster. They allow you to choose your own shop so hopefully this will be easy. I have two local shops recommended to me to get this repaired. Any tips re. windshields are appreciated! 2 years ago I got hit by a car (hit and run) on Jan 2nd and now this. Something tells me I should stay inside rest of the month.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:54 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,134 Likes on 983 Posts

Damn man well I’m glad you’re unscathed. He damage looks very fixable.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:55 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,883 Likes on 2,215 Posts

Sorry about the deer and car. It could have been much worse. A long time ago I got a crack in my windshield from a rock on the freeway. Brought it into the Porsche dealer and they had safelite replace the windshield. May still be an option.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:40 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 177 Posts

Dang, all things considered thats actually not too bad!
dporto (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 05:13 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Geeezuuusss !! Was it a Buck or a Doe ?
Old 01-02-2024, 06:03 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Yeah, definitely could have been worse. Just so happens, a neighbor around the corner that has been eyeing my car ended up buying a 40AE of his own after driving mine so we have 2 on the block now. He recommended a shop so hope to have this fixed sooner than later. The deer looked like a youngster. Screen grab from my dash cam.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:43 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 684 Posts

Yikes! Glad you're okay.

I'd push for factory glass. Also replace the windshield surround pieces while you're doing the job. Those trim pieces require the windshield to be removed in order to replace them, and they're 20 years old.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:34 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Sucks dude. They're everywhere.

Best of luck on a hopefully uneventful repair.
plpete84 (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 10:07 AM
merlot
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
Soooo 2024 is off to a start. Not the greatest one though. On my way back from a New Year's Day gravel ride I got a little too close and personal with a deer. Driving at a normal speed, as I went around a blind corner, a deer bolted across the road. When I saw it I slammed on the brakes but it was too late by that point. I didn't see it till it was already on the road as it's coat was pretty much the same color as the dead vegetation. According to my dash cam, it first hit my driver side fender, caught air, hit the windshield and flew over the top taking off my bike. No blood and no deer. It probably ran off and either lived or will die somewhere due to whatever it broke. So this kind of sucks..... Damage seems to be the following: windshield trashed, driver side fender seems to have a small dent that PDR can probably fix, driver side mirror - completely ripped off, Driver door glass seems to have a deep scratch in it either from the deer or the mirror flying off. Feel lucky that the headlight survived just fine. The bike is mostly ok, save for the carbon handlebars that are trashed. Actually, had it not been for the SeaSucker bike mount, the damage probably would have been worse to the car and bike.

Here is the damage:

I opened a case with Geico already and will work with their adjuster. They allow you to choose your own shop so hopefully this will be easy. I have two local shops recommended to me to get this repaired. Any tips re. windshields are appreciated! 2 years ago I got hit by a car (hit and run) on Jan 2nd and now this. Something tells me I should stay inside rest of the month.
Ouch. I've been there. Make sure you pick a Porsche approved shop as they will use OEM panels for the repair. My damages amounted to over $14K.
plpete84 (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 10:22 AM
Junkrat
AutoX

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Dang! That sucks. Glad you're okay. Wow, does that deer ever blend in to the bush like you said!
plpete84 (01-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Search is over - 996 40th Jahre!