Sponsored by:

What steering wheel is this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 08:32 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
THIS. I have an aversion to things that blow up and that includes explosions to the head region. I am a big fan of seatbelts and have noticed that essentially all people who crash cars for a living, ie race car drivers, use seatbelts a lot and that hardly any have airbags in the cars they expect to crash. For people who exercise their rights to be free to choose not to wear a seatbelt things are different and, unlike dinosaurs, there are a lot of those folks around, (see the daily news). For those people I do not think a Momo is a good idea.

I'm not recommending anything here, just a casual observation.
Proceed at your own risk.
Oh, and wear a seat belt...
Racecar drivers are wearing harnesses, not seatbelts. They are also wearing helmets.Seatbelts have give, both because of how they are worn and intentionally by design. This is why before there were airbags companies that cared were still padding the steering wheel.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:39 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
THIS. I have an aversion to things that blow up and that includes explosions to the head region. I am a big fan of seatbelts and have noticed that essentially all people who crash cars for a living, ie race car drivers, use seatbelts a lot and that hardly any have airbags in the cars they expect to crash. For people who exercise their rights to be free to choose not to wear a seatbelt things are different and, unlike dinosaurs, there are a lot of those folks around, (see the daily news). For those people I do not think a Momo is a good idea.

I'm not recommending anything here, just a casual observation.
Proceed at your own risk.
Oh, and wear a seat belt...
Race car drivers have 6 point harnesses, use helmets, and HANS devices to prevent Basal fractures which are the most common cause of loss of life in vehicular accidents I believe. In your hopped up street car, you have none of those items. This is strictly an uneducated and dangerous opinion and it should be called out as such.

As called out above, 3 point seatbelts are designed to allow for deceleration forces to be reduced by allowing torso movement INTO an airbag. Harnesses are designed to prevent this movement and use the Hans device to prevent neck/head injuries.

Guess what happens without the airbag while using a 3 point seatbelt?

Last edited by Olemiss540; 10-27-2020 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sweet victory (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:19 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Race car drivers have 6 point harnesses, use helmets, and HANS devices to prevent Basal fractures which are the most common cause of loss of life in vehicular accidents I believe. In your hopped up street car, you have none of those items. This is strictly an uneducated and dangerous opinion and it should be called out as such.

As called out above, 3 point seatbelts are designed to allow for deceleration forces to be reduced by allowing torso movement INTO an airbag. Harnesses are designed to prevent this movement and use the Hans device to prevent neck/head injuries.

Guess what happens without the airbag while using a 3 point seatbelt?

Someone beat me to it. These systems are engineered to work together. An earlier post justified removing the air bag because they had a harness. A harness without a Head And Neck Support (HANS) device is not going to be as safe as a 3 point seatbelt with an air bag. If your body is strapped in with a harness without a hans device, and you go from 60mph to 0mph, there is nothing to support your head/neck in this type of accident.

I don't think anyone should be condemned for running this set up, but we should at least understand the risks associated with modifying safety equipment.

Last edited by sweet victory; 10-27-2020 at 01:22 PM.
larry.beck (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:35 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
I don't think anyone should be condemned for running this set up, but we should at least understand the risks associated with modifying safety equipment.
I agree with this. Do keep in mind there are plenty of us still driving cars with 3-point belts that predate airbags.
larry.beck (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
I agree with this. Do keep in mind there are plenty of us still driving cars with 3-point belts that predate airbags.
Agreed as well but it means that we should understand it comes with additional safety risks when we do so. Also, those cars that predate airbags typically have around 150hp which helps to negate some of the threats of high speed deceleration hehe.

Removing airbags from a car with 300+ hp should be taken seriously regardless of the final decision made in the sake of style.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:57 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Agreed as well but it means that we should understand it comes with additional safety risks when we do so. Also, those cars that predate airbags typically have around 150hp which helps to negate some of the threats of high speed deceleration hehe.
Removing airbags from a car with 300+ hp should be taken seriously regardless of the final decision made in the sake of style.
Concur about removing safety equipment. This should be done with the realization that the end result will probably not be as safe as it was designed to be.
Oh, by the way my car that predates airbags has 270HP and weights 2600 pounds.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:02 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
Oh, by the way my car that predates airbags has 270HP and weights 2600 pounds.
Congrats!

Quick Reply: What steering wheel is this?