Refreshed suspension - new front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 11:00 PM
dwhitlow
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Refreshed suspension - new front end noise

Hey all,
I recently treated my 2002 C2 with 130K miles to a refresh of control arms on all 4 corners, (tuning forks and coffins), inner and outer tie rods, drop links (all 4), and front sway-bar bushings. Had it aligned and all seemed well. Now, after putting about 50 miles on it since getting it back from alignment, there’s a noise coming from somewhere in the front. It is primarily from a full stop like at a light and under acceleration but also to a lesser degree when stopping. It seems to become more prevalent as the car warms up. Steering input doesn’t make much of a difference, though it seems more pronounced when straight. It does seem like it could be on the left front side, but hard to be sure. The noise is more like a dull rattle vs a specific clunk for whatever that’s worth.

I’ve gone through and rechecked everything and it all seems tight. There’s no play when the car is up on a lift. I’m wondering if it’s a bad top mount on one of the front shocks, but those have maybe 45k miles on them. (I replaced those ~4 years ago) when I did shocks/struts all around.

For the life of me, I can’t figure it out. I don’t want to replace the top-mounts and get realigned if I can avoid it without being sure they are the problem. Anything else anyone can think of that I’m not thinking about?

Last edited by dwhitlow; 10-27-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:50 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,525 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Upper strut mount? Pretty common for our cars even with low miles. Its about the only thing u have not rechecked.

Last edited by De Jeeper; 10-26-2020 at 01:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (10-26-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 12:06 PM
KoljaRennlist
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Upper strut mount? Pretty common for our cars even with low miles. Its about the only thing u have not rechecked.
+1
Old 10-27-2020, 04:09 PM
dwhitlow
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys. I wound up dropping it back off at the place that did the alignment in the hopes that they can track it down. The more I drove it, it kind of seemed sway bar-related, maybe bad drop-link or bushing (even though both are new). But, I agree, there's a good chance it's at least one of the two upper strut mounts or the related bearings.

Appreciate the thoughts. I'll post if we figure it out.

Quick Reply: Refreshed suspension - new front end noise