Sponsored by:

996 Window Crunch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 09:15 AM
david825234
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Window Crunch Noise

Hello, I got my passenger side window regulator replaced at an indy shop about a month ago and now it's making a crunching noise when the window is up all the way. If I roll it down slightly, it reduces significantly. I don't remember this noise happening before I put on my hard top last week. Any idea what could cause this? I've disconnected the battery and reprogrammed the auto up/down window and that changed nothing. I talked to the shop and he said to check the seals but they seem fine. I plan on opening the door this weekend to see if anything is loose.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:35 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by david825234
Hello, I got my passenger side window regulator replaced at an indy shop about a month ago and now it's making a crunching noise when the window is up all the way. If I roll it down slightly, it reduces significantly. I don't remember this noise happening before I put on my hard top last week. Any idea what could cause this? I've disconnected the battery and reprogrammed the auto up/down window and that changed nothing. I talked to the shop and he said to check the seals but they seem fine. I plan on opening the door this weekend to see if anything is loose.

https://youtu.be/83eY0joVQLY

Ask if they replaced it with a genuine Porsche part. Your window regulator probably needs to be replaced again. The crunching sound is the tell tale sign of it starting to go bad. Replace with ONLY a Porsche genuine part. I've eaten crow on this before. Replaced it with aftermarket. One month later, it was crunching again.

You may want to also try exercising the window a few times. That works to moved the grease to the needed areas.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 09-30-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:47 AM
david825234
Track Day

Hello, they assured me before I got it done that it was a genuine OEM part (it better be, it was $300 for the part alone). Before I got it replaced, it would crunch when moving so I knew to get it replaced. Now it just crunches when up all the way only when driving. I've tried rolling it up and down a lot of times to see if it would help and it did not.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Take it back to the shop and let them figure this out. They are the ones that did this.
The following users liked this post:
ZuffenZeus (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:23 AM
david825234
Track Day

Only bad thing is I'd have to take off work to visit them since they're an hour away and not open on weekends. If they were more local, I would have given them a visit already.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:23 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

From your short video, the noise is not coming from the glass-window being operated up and down, right? You are just driving around and you can hear this crunching noise coming from that door area, so looks like something is still loose inside. Just have the shop open the inside door-panel again and check for loose connections, it could just be an attachment point of the regulator (bolt/nuts) rattling from the road imperfections. Clearly this is not normal, please have it checked out by the shop. Cheers,
Old 09-30-2020, 10:25 AM
david825234
Track Day

There was one time that I had a rattling coming from the door and it turned out that a speaker screw was loose. But that noise was a rattle, not a crunch like this one. I'd hate to have to schedule time off work to visit the shop since they're not really local and closed on weekends.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:30 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 797 Posts

I’m in a noisy spot so it’s difficult to hear a “crunch”. Generally speaking, bad regulators make a crunching sound while rising or lowering... not in the full upright position. It sounds to me like they might have left something loose/rattling in the door. Either way, as said in an earlier post, it’s their problem to fix...
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: 996 Window Crunch Noise