Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic is going into safe mode after engine warms up-help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 01:01 PM
Ian Atkinson
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic is going into safe mode after engine warms up-help!

Hey everyone!

i was hoping you can help me out with 2002 Porsche Turbo 996 Tiptronic with 110k miles. It starts up and drive when cold as normal but as soon as the coolant temperature on the dash gets to normal range then the safe mode tiptronic gets activated. I have run the codes a few times and a few different codes are seen including P0175 (tiptronic supply voltage/speed sensor) and 13 (rpm sensor n3). I’ve cleared them and have also see. A different code on another go at it and it was 14 (speed sensor comparison between n2 and n3 implossible). There were some other codes present when this first happened but after clearing a few times those other codes didn’t come back like tiptronic codes 23,25,3139,51.

so I read a little bit I figured it might be the valve body conduction plate with the speed sensor and I did replace this as it seems like the most likely first place to start. It didn’t fix the problem at all and it came back into safe mode after car warms up. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe the solenoids? It was a real pain to do the valve body conduction plate and wanted to get advice before replacing other parts. Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Old 06-22-2020, 02:05 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 758 Posts

Sorry about this advice....take it to a Porsche dealer and have them run the diagnostics on the transmission. In the end, it will pay to have narrowed down to a specific tiptronic component rather than getting ball park guesses from an internet forum, and replacing parts not related to the specific problem. Just saying....
Old 06-22-2020, 02:31 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Sorry about this advice....take it to a Porsche dealer and have them run the diagnostics on the transmission. In the end, it will pay to have narrowed down to a specific tiptronic component rather than getting ball park guesses from an internet forum, and replacing parts not related to the specific problem. Just saying....
+1 My 03 went into limp mode after I did a fluid change. Dealer had it fixed in 30 minutes. Turned out that filling it cause fluid to seep into the main electrical connector. Cleaned it out, cleared the codes, voila, been fine since.

Bring it to the dealer...
Old 06-22-2020, 02:34 PM
Ian Atkinson
Cruisin'

thanks for the advice. I’m a DIYer by heart and have bad experiences at dealer who in fact usually replace many more parts than needed (they tend to replace all parts so nothing can fail again). I just want to fix the part that is broken ideally and not spend a ton of money at the stealership. I’ve seen videos about how to test the solenoids such as checking the electrical resistance and doing a compression test and testing the opening and closing. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any similar symptoms and what was wrong in their situation. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2020, 02:39 PM
Ian Atkinson
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
+1 My 03 went into limp mode after I did a fluid change. Dealer had it fixed in 30 minutes. Turned out that filling it cause fluid to seep into the main electrical connector. Cleaned it out, cleared the codes, voila, been fine since.

Bring it to the dealer...
thank you for your experience. I’ll try cleaning the main electrical connector and see if that helps. If all else fails I’ll take to a dealer but not a big fan of that approach.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:40 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

You can take it to a trusted transmission shop instead of a dealer. They probably have more experience in that area than a typical dealer's facility does.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:55 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 758 Posts

I was not suggesting you have the Porsche dealer (or transmission shop) replace parts and fix your tiptronic. I said have them run the Porsche specific diagnostics on the transmission and you can take it from there. They have the software to do that. You have a specific problem - at operating temperatures your tiptronic goes into limp mode. I'm sure a scan with the diagnostic software can pinpoint what is wrong and remove a lot of guessing and throwing parts at it. That's about all I have...
Old 06-22-2020, 03:03 PM
Ian Atkinson
Cruisin'

I was not suggesting you have the Porsche dealer (or transmission shop) replace parts and fix your tiptronic. I said have them run the Porsche specific diagnostics on the transmission and you can take it from there. They have the software to do that. You have a specific problem - at operating temperatures your tiptronic goes into limp mode. I'm sure a scan with the diagnostic software can pinpoint what is wrong and remove a lot of guessing and throwing parts at it. That's about all I have...
ok thanks for clarifying. Yeah that shouldn’t be too expensive. I’ll consider giving that a try. I’ve just used my basic scanning tool. Just curious if anyone else had something similar happen and if its like a known problem that I could take care of at home. I’m not sure why it happens after the car warms up either and was wondering why that is. Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone has had something similar would love to hear about it.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:56 AM
Ian Atkinson
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Ian Atkinson
ok thanks for clarifying. Yeah that shouldn’t be too expensive. I’ll consider giving that a try. I’ve just used my basic scanning tool. Just curious if anyone else had something similar happen and if its like a known problem that I could take care of at home. I’m not sure why it happens after the car warms up either and was wondering why that is. Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone has had something similar would love to hear about it.

ok quick update, I think I solved the problem. I unplugged the battery to reset the transmission adaptations and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. I assume this is something that would be normally done when replacing electronic such as the valve body conductor plate. I checked all the wheel speed sensors also and they seem to be working fine. I’ll update again if this doesn’t fix the problem or if I end up taking in to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
wyovino (06-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Tiptronic is going into safe mode after engine warms up-help!