996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bore scoring not just on our 996/997/Cayenne's

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 05:34 AM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Nikasil has it's own issues and is not a 'solve-all-problems' solution. Google(make a search which excludes Porsche) and you will find, here is one for you: https://buy.motorious.com/articles/f...jaguar-xk8-xkr.

BMW presumably also moved away from Nikasil due reliability issues.

The grass is always greener on the other side i guess...
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:49 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Oh, it's definitely defensible. The Euro cars you speak of are the ones they sell the most of. And people keep buying them.

The original owner usually won't own the car when it dies since most are leased.

No reason to change the business model. The only time it will change is if they sell less cars. Until then, junk those $80k plastic disposable cars!

^^^ I totally agree with this. It's a cultural thing. Most people just want to get in and drive - or not drive, let the car do it for them (which from what I see on a regular basis, probably isn't a bad idea)... Forget about maintaining, fixing, or god forbid modifying - anything! (it's not just cars - have you taken a trip to the dump lately and see what people throw away? It's crazy!!!)
Porschetech3 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 09:08 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Just gasp. You would think porsche would help a little bit and not bend you over. I was thinking the stock pdk would be the weakest link for a macan to hit 150-200k miles but the motor maybe shotty too especially with these stupid recommended oil change intervals. my friend who worked at the porsche dealer strongly recommended against buying a macan s and turbos since they came out.....this was a few years ago and I was optimistic they may have sorted some of these issues.

I’ve been following 4-5k oil changes for years in my 957 GTS <knock on wood> Hoping to hit 200k+ before it’s “junk,” 155k and counting now.

What motor was in this?
Old 05-11-2020, 11:22 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Standard 3 liter
Old 05-12-2020, 08:43 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Unfortunately this crap can happen .... Am I worried no and I own 2 955 Cayenne's and a 997.1 and so far never had an issue........ Lokasil & Alusil - Nikasil I have had 4 decades of experience with these coating processes on cylinders. All my Japanese race bikes and dirt bikes since the late 70's had either one or the other and once in a while for no reason one would seize or wouldn't be running right and you would pull the head off and find scoring. This is a proven cost effective process which pretty much works for mass produced engines for decades by most mfg's but it does suck when one fails for no apparent reason. Unfortunately most cars regardless of brand are all pretty much disposable bick lighters and not worth going the extra mile to repair unless you have a cost savings angle on parts and labor.

Here is what I've learned Lokasil & Alusil - Nikasil all pretty much the same crap regardless and would not deter me from owing another engine with one or the other .... Oil changes no later than 5k ....Good oil with a decent Moly content or additive ....Start let them warm up until the rpm drops then drive gingerly until engine reaches operating temp then go for broke and hopefully the engine God's are on your side.
The following 2 users liked this post by rileyracing1:
Porschetech3 (05-12-2020), vtgt (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,582 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Unfortunately this crap can happen .... Am I worried no and I own 2 955 Cayenne's and a 997.1 and so far never had an issue........ Lokasil & Alusil - Nikasil I have had 4 decades of experience with these coating processes on cylinders. All my Japanese race bikes and dirt bikes since the late 70's had either one or the other and once in a while for no reason one would seize or wouldn't be running right and you would pull the head off and find scoring. This is a proven cost effective process which pretty much works for mass produced engines for decades by most mfg's but it does suck when one fails for no apparent reason. Unfortunately most cars regardless of brand are all pretty much disposable bick lighters and not worth going the extra mile to repair unless you have a cost savings angle on parts and labor.

Here is what I've learned Lokasil & Alusil - Nikasil all pretty much the same crap regardless and would not deter me from owing another engine with one or the other .... Oil changes no later than 5k ....Good oil with a decent Moly content or additive ....Start let them warm up until the rpm drops then drive gingerly until engine reaches operating temp then go for broke and hopefully the engine God's are on your side.
Holy **** !!!! Spot on !!!! Someone I agree with, my sons race Dirt Bikes and I have experience the same, from Millennium to US Chrome to Lancourt..,,Great coatings, but for some unknown reason, it can fail !! Sacrifice to the Porsche/engine gods is all that will overcome !!
vtgt (05-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Bore scoring not just on our 996/997/Cayenne's