Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

VIN/ID sticker paranoia...normal to not get one on new car/maintenance booklet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 04:04 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN/ID sticker paranoia...normal to not get one on new car/maintenance booklet?

All other paranoia questions now being answered, I've not got just one left that concerns me the most.

Bought a new '04 C4S two weeks ago - while I didn't get to see it rolled off the truck, the odometer milage was right around what I'd expect for a brand new car.

Didn't even think it was strange until I read some archived threads, but from everything I've read, with a brand new car you're supposed to have:
a) VIN ID plate on driver's side front under windshield
b) VIN ID with build month on sticker on driver's side door
c) ID sticker with all factory installed option codes stuck under front hood
d) ID sticker with VIN, engine code, etc. stuck on first page of maintenance book

For my car and the owner's package I was given, the sticker that is supposed to be under the hood is ripped off, and I have no ID sticker in my maintenance book.

Is this normal? Should I be paranoid/worried that something shady is going on here?
Old 03-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen it on 2 local cars. Someone who did not know any better tried to pull them off. Ask your dealer to order replacements.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:03 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

is ordering replacements definitely possible? Hate to sound like the manual-dweeb but the manual says they can't be replaced. But then again, some sea manual used to say the world was flat too.

So hoping I can order new ones, I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to complain and see what action I can get taken to get new ones. If I was the potential buyer 2-3 years down the line, I'd suspect something was wrong like the car had body work or something that required a new hood.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:23 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

I had always been told they could not be replaced. Then one day a guy I know at the parts counter said it could. Then the parts manager said it could. There is a special procedure they have to go through - I forget the details. If they tell you no then have them call Atlanta. If that does not work then I will give you the number of my local parts department for the details.

This guy had the wrong sticker on his car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=101406
Old 03-08-2004, 05:33 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

thanks TP, I may take you up on that, but hopefully my dealer in Long Beach won't get me to the point of screaming bloody murder.

I'm going to personally go down rather than just call, and let my sales guy know his potential sale of another p-car, the Cayenne, is down the toilet if I can't get replacement stickers for my hood/maint. book.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

I have to now take back what I said. Apparently what I was told last year applied to other stickers under the hood. Not the option stickers.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:20 PM
mozhacker
Instructor

Well, hope it works out for me. Went down to Long Beach dealer (Circle Imports) and told the Porsche Service advisor what was up with my stickers, showed him the torn off area under my hood and no maintenance booklet sticker, and he said he'd ask how they go about taking care of it.

So at least the first answer wasn't a no. But then again, he didn't know it was a yes either right now.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

What other stickers under the hood?

Originally posted by Tool Pants
I have to now take back what I said. Apparently what I was told last year applied to other stickers under the hood. Not the option stickers.

Quick Reply: VIN/ID sticker paranoia...normal to not get one on new car/maintenance booklet?