996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Preventative turns to fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

michaelo, I would suggest that the examples you refer to are more a function of skill level, individuals whose DIY skills and/or tools were not up to the task they attempted. As Clint Eastwood famously uttered, "Man's gotta know his limitations." As with so many other problems in life, accurate diagnosis is equally or even more important than remedy. Having said that, perhaps its just a matter of perspective: professionals looking to make a living, sometimes unscrupulously vs. rational economic DIY'ers. Many, many competent DIY'ers on this forum whose experience and encouragement will assist the uninitiated in getting over the learning curve, paying it forward, and that's all good.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:00 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
Leaking seals are typically followed by bearing failure due to lack of oil/lubrication. Both the seals and the bearings should be changed. Yes, mechanics sometimes make mistakes and have to redo a job. However, other times they don't make a mistake but the job has to be redone due to a defective part that they installed. Sure, anybody can attempt to do any job they want, but that doesn't mean it's always a money saver.
Many of the DIY posts on this forum read:
"Very frustrated, just changed my clutch and now it won't go into gear. Now I have to redo this again. Aaarrrghhh".
"Just put in new coilovers twice and I still have a bad clunking sound"...
"Need advice, tried to change my spark plugs and one shattered inside the cam covers"...
"Help! I rebuilt my power steering rack and it still leaks"...

Lot's of people post here how easy doing these jobs are and if you tackle them yourself you will save a bunch of money. But that is not always true.
DIY is great, but not always worth it.
^^^ Much clearer and more reasoned post! The first one came off as you were just pissed off that people were doing their own work, and that they couldn’t possibly do what a “experienced mechanic” could... Generally speaking, I totally agree with what you’re saying here. My point earlier was that most people with a modicum of mechanical knowledge and skill could pull off that job and save money. Clearly, many come here asking questions after they’ve already screwed something up, so we get a skewed viewpoint regarding diy...
Old 04-18-2020, 10:25 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 155 Posts

Just hope I don’t need new bearings. As mentioned, car drove perfectly fine. I guess with Covid going on, the mechanic had more time to look over entire car before bleeding brakes. Pointed out bearings, oil return tube and confessor leak. Said brakes I can do myself soon. Usually just fix what I bring in for. Big shop, usually super, super busy. Quiet yesterday, owner worked on it. He’s a super nice guy and has done all great work for me on the past. Usually off racing when I go.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:40 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

I did my front wheel bearings the first time I changed out my suspension (C4 so, front axles to deal with). Once again, not a "difficult" job per se', bit it's quite involved. I even had to fabricate my own hub puller as the "official" Porsche special tool was $400 plus. I made one out of scrap steel and coupled it with a $90 bearing puller kit - worked like a charm! https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...al-tool-2.html One of the main trick when re-installing the wheel bearings is to put them in the freezer over night before installing... they go in like BUHHHHTAHHHHHHH
Old 04-18-2020, 11:05 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

I would try it, I just do want to leave the car up on blocks for a month or so. I replaced the struts on my 986. I got it done but it took me a month and I lost weight stressing about it. I use to have that fearlessness. I now worry about leaving a car on stands for an extended period. I was once semi fearless. When I had my 77 carerra 3.0, I built stands and pulled the motor out in my garage so a friend could rebuild tranny. I was a guy who never did more than an oil change. I also stripped this car down to bare metal and painted in my garage. Google “Argeo a pelican success story”. I did pop in a wheel liner last night so I’m not totally useless. Oh, I want to drive now, not in August.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:10 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

I hear ya... Time is always a major factor. If you have someone you trust and don't mind paying them, then that's a fine situation! Good luck with it & I hope you're driving soon!
Old 04-18-2020, 11:21 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Argeo
I would try it, I just do want to leave the car up on blocks for a month or so. I replaced the struts on my 986. I got it done but it took me a month and I lost weight stressing about it. I use to have that fearlessness. I now worry about leaving a car on stands for an extended period. I was once semi fearless. When I had my 77 carerra 3.0, I built stands and pulled the motor out in my garage so a friend could rebuild tranny. I was a guy who never did more than an oil change. I also stripped this car down to bare metal and painted in my garage. Google “Argeo a pelican success story”. I did pop in a wheel liner last night so I’m not totally useless. Oh, I want to drive now, not in August.
Ha!^^^ I just did a quick skim...You may have been a newbie then, but after that project, I'd say you moved into the "well versed part time mechanic" if not "closet pro" ! Great Job...do you still have the car, or has it moved on? I bet during times like these, you at least get a little itch, no?
Old 04-18-2020, 11:34 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I’m a okay hack. Anything technical, my head starts to spin.
No, sold the car to a guy from a Miami. After finishing the outside, started working in inside and found rot. I had just had enough and decided to sell. The car had electrical gremlins all the years I had it. I bought a book about car electricals and never figured out. I typically couldn’t go to the end of the street without breaking down. Best buyer ever. Flew up, bought and drove home from Boston in February with no heat. I heard he made it to the Mass Pike and tried to shift like a Honda and jammed something. Had it towed to a local shop to get it going again. I think it was minor and was off again the next day. He never called me about it. Sold for a whopping $8.5k. I think he did okay.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:06 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
Leaking seals are typically followed by bearing failure due to lack of oil/lubrication. Both the seals and the bearings should be changed. Yes, mechanics sometimes make mistakes and have to redo a job. However, other times they don't make a mistake but the job has to be redone due to a defective part that they installed. Sure, anybody can attempt to do any job they want, but that doesn't mean it's always a money saver.
Many of the DIY posts on this forum read:
"Very frustrated, just changed my clutch and now it won't go into gear. Now I have to redo this again. Aaarrrghhh".
"Just put in new coilovers twice and I still have a bad clunking sound"...
"Need advice, tried to change my spark plugs and one shattered inside the cam covers"...
"Help! I rebuilt my power steering rack and it still leaks"...

Lot's of people post here how easy doing these jobs are and if you tackle them yourself you will save a bunch of money. But that is not always true.
DIY is great, but not always worth it.
Then might as well change the ring/pinion gear and all the other gears in there.......you know, just to be sure! Throwing parts at a project without any need is a colossal waste of money. If you are so concerned about the bearings, take the differential apart and have a look at everything AND THEN replace only what's needed.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:29 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 429 Posts

There are a lot of DIY guys on here and some are really good. But there are hundreds of thousands of Porsche drivers of all types and the overall majority of owners are not DIY people. Professional mechanics are not at risk of losing their jobs. You just need to find a good one.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (04-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Preventative turns to fix