Sponsored by:

Preventative turns to fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Preventative turns to fix

Took car to get brake fluid flushed this morning. $150, not the end of the world.

Now I am going back next week to get oil return tube fixed and replace front differential seals on 4S. With alignment, $1,700. 1st big expense in the 9 months of ownership. Excluding replacing IMSB, clutch, coolant tank, and water pump.

Amazed my wife hasn't divorced me.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:32 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

It helps a lot if you can do at least some of these jobs yourself (all the ones you've listed are easily doable with basic tools) and give the savings to your wife.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:40 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Very true. A man must know his limitations though.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:46 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

^^Yes^^ The wife being a major one...
Old 04-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

In my case my wife says “spend more time with me, pay someone to do the work”. Since she made me buy my 996 when i was just considering buying one, who am i to argue. Happy wife.....
Old 04-17-2020, 01:15 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Weird, In my case the wife has gotten a not more carefree with the spending with the 996. With the Boxster S and 77 C3 (both sold), not so much. Maybe I have worn her down.
The following users liked this post:
Optionman1 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 03:17 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

What is the issue with the oil return tubes?
Old 04-17-2020, 03:39 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
It helps a lot if you can do at least some of these jobs yourself (all the ones you've listed are easily doable with basic tools) and give the savings to your wife.
Leaking differential front seals is a sign of failure, hence the seals and bearings should be replaced. Otherwise you will be in a world of financial pain if that front diff fails. I don't see how this is very doable with basic tools and no experience. Even experienced Porsche mechanics have had to do this job twice because the customer brought it back because it was leaking again. There is no savings doing this job yourself, better off to pay somebody.

Wayyyy to many folks on this forum devalue the experience, skills and specialty tools that a professional Porsche mechanic brings to the table and think everything is DIY. This is simply not true.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:07 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Return tube is cracked. Not yet making the car run funny but oil visible. Surprised I didn't see the oil change at all. Car still runs and drives great.

I hope it's just seals. Shop said it could lead to bad things happening down the road. Guy is good and I feel trustworthy. Heck I told him to replace the alternator since removing with the oil tube. Told me it looked new. Leave be.

I personally envy these guys. Worth every penny.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:47 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

My wife has no problem if I spend time working on the cars, as long as it doesn't cost too much money. How much time do you really need to spend with your wife? Instead of watching the Hallmark Chanel with her, go work on your cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Imo000:
dporto (04-17-2020), SoundnSpeed (04-21-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 04:57 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelo
Leaking differential front seals is a sign of failure, hence the seals and bearings should be replaced. Otherwise you will be in a world of financial pain if that front diff fails. I don't see how this is very doable with basic tools and no experience. Even experienced Porsche mechanics have had to do this job twice because the customer brought it back because it was leaking again. There is no savings doing this job yourself, better off to pay somebody.

Wayyyy to many folks on this forum devalue the experience, skills and specialty tools that a professional Porsche mechanic brings to the table and think everything is DIY. This is simply not true.
Spoken like a true "Experienced Porsche Mechanic"... Leaking seals is a sign of failure of what? Uh...The seal...? Yes even experienced mechanics can make a mistake and have to do a job again. That doesn't mean no one else can do the job. In case you didn't know it, lots of people remove the front diff. and prefer the car that way... No savings ? How much do the seals cost $20 ea. That's $40 in parts, another $70 for the oil fill tube, and $200 for an alignment - Gee that leaves about $1390.00 in labor - I'd gladly spend the $110 in parts and even a leisurely day or two to pay myself (or my wife) $1390.00... Nahhhhh no savings there Granted, this type of work isn't everyone's cup o' tea but if it is, there's plenty of $ to be saved...
The following 2 users liked this post by dporto:
jjbravo (04-17-2020), wildbilly32 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

I have to agree with "dporto" on this one, way too many horror stories about "professional Porsche mechanics" and some of the shoddy work they've performed on unsuspecting/trusting customers' cars. I am not suggesting they are all bad, but there are enough bad ones, including dealerships, to make it a crap shoot which can be a hell of an expensive lesson. Personally, the best thing I ever did automotive wise was liberate myself from having to rely on someone else to repair/maintain my cars.
dporto (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:36 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
My wife has no problem if I spend time working on the cars, as long as it doesn't cost too much money. How much time do you really need to spend with your wife? Instead of watching the Hallmark Chanel with her, go work on your cars.
Classic chauvinistic point of view!... I love it!!!
Old 04-18-2020, 12:15 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Leaking seals are typically followed by bearing failure due to lack of oil/lubrication. Both the seals and the bearings should be changed. Yes, mechanics sometimes make mistakes and have to redo a job. However, other times they don't make a mistake but the job has to be redone due to a defective part that they installed. Sure, anybody can attempt to do any job they want, but that doesn't mean it's always a money saver.
Many of the DIY posts on this forum read:
"Very frustrated, just changed my clutch and now it won't go into gear. Now I have to redo this again. Aaarrrghhh".
"Just put in new coilovers twice and I still have a bad clunking sound"...
"Need advice, tried to change my spark plugs and one shattered inside the cam covers"...
"Help! I rebuilt my power steering rack and it still leaks"...

Lot's of people post here how easy doing these jobs are and if you tackle them yourself you will save a bunch of money. But that is not always true.
DIY is great, but not always worth it.
dporto (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 08:40 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
Lot's of people post here how easy doing these jobs are and if you tackle them yourself you will save a bunch of money. But that is not always true.
DIY is great, but not always worth it.
I think it depends on a variety of factors:
  • abilities - fairly obvious, but the learning factor of doing things yourself cannot be over emphasized. So many people own these cars and know absolutely nothing about them, it is amazing
  • facilities - if all you have is a gravel driveway to work in, this becomes a problem for some jobs admittedly. Tools are also a factor. Tools to me are an investment. I’ve got tools I purchased 40 yrs ago and still use today.
  • disposable income - this one is obvious. If you’ve got lots of disposable income, don’t care to get dirty, or want to learn anything about the car, there are lots of $150/hr mechanics that will add windshield washer fluid for you.
  • enjoyment factor - I personally enjoy wrenching on my car. It’s my zen time. Plus I like the independence of it. I’ve always been extremely independent and like to be able to manage on my own (with a little help from friends periodically - like Rennlist)
Remember, while there are lots of those threads where the DIY ends up bad, there are almost as many where the car went to the paid shop and came back with issues.

Quick Reply: Preventative turns to fix