Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 12:56 PM
srop816
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Oil Change?

Hey All,

Here's an easy question.... Should you check oil level on the dipstick when the car is cold or hot? I've read an entire thread about checking it when it's cold and an entire thread to check when its hot/warm. So which way is it?

The threads are also several years old, and people are still learning new things about the 996 today. My local Porsche mechanic says to check when the car is still warm.

When my car is cold the oil level is right above the bottom dot, but not really on the shaft. When the car is warm, it reads about half way up the shaft(last time i checked)

I don't have an owners manual yet, so I'm not sure what that suggests. Although after reading, not everyone even trusts the owners manual.

I'm about a month away from doing my first oil change on this car...

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 155 Posts

My guess is cold. Right to the middle line. For giggles, monitor oil consumption at intervals and track. It can go to the bottom line without ruining anything from what I have read here.
3k or 6 months.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:24 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I check cold in the garage , having said that whatever you chose be consistent.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:53 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Check it cold after overnight sit. Should be at least midway between the lower dot and upper dot. What does your digital oil level gauge read? Sounds like you are low with it only reaching the lower dot. Don't be afraid to add some oil, even before an oil change. It's the best insurance for the health of the engine to maintain a proper level at all times.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Owners manual for my 02 996 states to check the oil warm after waiting a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan. Warm or hot level will be higher than cold, so son't fill all the way to the top dot of the dipstick with a cold engine. or you will overfill the crankcase.

When I changed my oil the PO had it overfilled by about 1 quart. Book states 9 quarts with filter change, but my car has the LN spin-on filter. I refilled 8 quarts, got the engine warm with a quick drive, and then checked the dipstick. I filled to about half way between the low and high marks, but the oil level sensor in the car was reading 1 or 2 bars above half way. I added just enough oil, perhaps one more pint, to get the electronic gauge to read one bar below full. On the dipstick it read about 1/16" below the high dot.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:24 PM
srop816
Racer

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Check it cold after overnight sit. Should be at least midway between the lower dot and upper dot. What does your digital oil level gauge read? Sounds like you are low with it only reaching the lower dot. Don't be afraid to add some oil, even before an oil change. It's the best insurance for the health of the engine to maintain a proper level at all times.
It's about midway on the stick when it's warm and I let it sit for a few minutes to drain. The oil level gauge consistently reads 1 or 2 bars above the low mark.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:26 PM
srop816
Racer

Originally Posted by Joel987
Owners manual for my 02 996 states to check the oil warm after waiting a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan. Warm or hot level will be higher than cold, so son't fill all the way to the top dot of the dipstick with a cold engine. or you will overfill the crankcase.

When I changed my oil the PO had it overfilled by about 1 quart. Book states 9 quarts with filter change, but my car has the LN spin-on filter. I refilled 8 quarts, got the engine warm with a quick drive, and then checked the dipstick. I filled to about half way between the low and high marks, but the oil level sensor in the car was reading 1 or 2 bars above half way. I added just enough oil, perhaps one more pint, to get the electronic gauge to read one bar below full. On the dipstick it read about 1/16" below the high dot.
Thanks for the owners manual comment. Mine is a 02 as well. I don't have a manual for my car yet.

I've heard overfilling these cars is REALLY bad for them.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:33 PM
Joel987
Racer

Do you mean one or two bars below the high mark on the instrument cluster? And we are talking about the digital oil level indicator, not the oil pressure gauge, correct? Also, make sure the car is on level ground when filling and checking the oil. If yes on the oil level indicator then you are probably still a bit low. I'd add 2 or 3 ounces at a time, run the engine, then let it sit for a few minutes. Check the oil with the oil level indicator in the dash until it gets one or two bars below the top. Check the dipstick as you go along.

What year is your car and do you have the stock cartridge style oil filter?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:34 PM
srop816
Racer

Originally Posted by Argeo
My guess is cold. Right to the middle line. For giggles, monitor oil consumption at intervals and track. It can go to the bottom line without ruining anything from what I have read here.
3k or 6 months.
Thanks. I've pretty much been checking it before I drive each time. I'd be hesitant to fill it half way up the stick when cold because i think it would be way over the second dot when warm. However, I don't really know! Hence why I started this thread.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:34 PM
Joel987
Racer

Oops, you posted when I was writing my reply. I see that you have an 02.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:43 PM
srop816
Racer

Do you mean one or two bars below the high mark on the instrument cluster? And we are talking about the digital oil level indicator, not the oil pressure gauge, correct? Also, make sure the car is on level ground when filling and checking the oil. If yes on the oil level indicator then you are probably still a bit low. I'd add 2 or 3 ounces at a time, run the engine, then let it sit for a few minutes. Check the oil with the oil level indicator in the dash until it gets one or two bars below the top. Check the dipstick as you go along.

What year is your car and do you have the stock cartridge style oil filter?
Yes, I'm talking about the digital oil level indicator that you can run to check the oil level. Mine shows usually between 1-3 bars above the low mark on the digital indicator. Doesn't seem to change much whether the car is cold or warm, but I haven't used it religiously. I've been more checking the dip stick. I do agree, that ultimately I think I'm bit low. I may start adding just a little bit. I've heard/read that over filling these cars can be a REAL big problem

I've got a 02 4S. I'm not sure about the current oil filter. The oil was changed when I did the IMS bearing back in December. When I do the oil change, I suppose I'll order the filter of of Pelican, but I haven't done much research yet to know if there is a better place to get them.

I am still a bit perplexed why there is not a clear and concise answer on this though?? It seems like such a simple question. The owners manual says check when warm, but many people check when cold. It's a bit weird to me...
Old 04-07-2020, 03:43 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by srop816
Hey All,

Here's an easy question.... Should you check oil level on the dipstick when the car is cold or hot? I've read an entire thread about checking it when it's cold and an entire thread to check when its hot/warm. So which way is it?

The threads are also several years old, and people are still learning new things about the 996 today. My local Porsche mechanic says to check when the car is still warm.

When my car is cold the oil level is right above the bottom dot, but not really on the shaft. When the car is warm, it reads about half way up the shaft(last time i checked)

I don't have an owners manual yet, so I'm not sure what that suggests. Although after reading, not everyone even trusts the owners manual.

I'm about a month away from doing my first oil change on this car...

Thanks for the input!
For my '99 (FSI 3.6) my routine is the following. Check it when cold via the dash gauge. When it gets to the bottom line, I verify the level with the dip stick and add 1/2 quart. I never have very much above middle of gauge or dipstick and never fill it to the top line.
The following users liked this post:
wildbilly32 (04-11-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:50 PM
srop816
Racer

Originally Posted by essjayarr
For my '99 (FSI 3.6) my routine is the following. Check it when cold via the dash gauge. When it gets to the bottom line, I verify the level with the dip stick and add 1/2 quart. I never have very much above middle of gauge or dipstick and never fill it to the top line.
Thanks for the input. Another tally in "checking while cold" column!

Although, with your FSI engine it could be totally different than what to do with a stock I suppose
Old 04-07-2020, 04:09 PM
Joel987
Racer

Regarding your readings, you may have a failing oil pressure switch, which feeds the digital indicator gauge and the oil pressure gauge. At the very least, pull off the leads to the oil pressure switch (one at a time) and reconnect. That may wake it up for a while. Do a search on the 996 forum as to where it is located (too hard to describe here without pictures, but it is on the passenger side). You can get to the leads from the trunk, just don't stick your arm in there when the engine is hot.

I would get the oil level set correctly with a hot engine to get a baseline. Then when it is stone cold check the dipstick and make note of the difference between the hot and cold readings. After that you can always check your oil cold and know if it is low or not. As Essjayarr says, NEVER overfill with oil on any car.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:48 PM
srop816
Racer

Regarding your readings, you may have a failing oil pressure switch, which feeds the digital indicator gauge and the oil pressure gauge. At the very least, pull off the leads to the oil pressure switch (one at a time) and reconnect. That may wake it up for a while. Do a search on the 996 forum as to where it is located (too hard to describe here without pictures, but it is on the passenger side). You can get to the leads from the trunk, just don't stick your arm in there when the engine is hot.

I would get the oil level set correctly with a hot engine to get a baseline. Then when it is stone cold check the dipstick and make note of the difference between the hot and cold readings. After that you can always check your oil cold and know if it is low or not. As Essjayarr says, NEVER overfill with oil on any car.
Thank you very much. I never thought that a sensor might be going out. I'll do a search and look into that. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Oil Change?