996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Weird Wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 11:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I agree on stock mounts. They just work. You can have good luck using other mounts, maybe there are better mounts, but I’ve also read some folks struggled with aftermarket mounts, so for me, I wanted low frustration.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:47 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

good point, I'm just going to order the rein mounts, while I'm down there I will take a look at the other suspension bits
Old 04-10-2020, 03:23 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I had the same situation. It was due to worn out suspension bushings, rear wheel bearings that were starting to fail, and zero degrees camber on the rear wheels. I replaced everything, got a professional alignment at a speed shop with 911 track car experience, and it made an enormous difference. 99 C2 with 92k miles. My car had a lot of track time in its past. The suspension was just worn out. I used Meyle and RSS suspension components.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:57 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

I just bought coilovers about a year ago, hopefully, I just need the engine mounts, I gonna do that and then taking it to a shop and see what they think.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:44 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by TheYoung911
Hey, due to the current situation, I'm back home and get to spend the rest of my school year with my 996, and wanted to take care of a few issues that I've been having. Specifically, I've been having a weird swaying in my car when cornering, usually at higher speeds, jokingly I've referred to this as "death wobbles". I already have coil overs that are around a year old installed in the car. I've had the car aligned a few times, and at some point, my father took the car to a shop, but I removed the hardtop recently and noticed that the death wobbles are back, only now the speed threshold for this to occur is significantly higher. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing these issues? I'm planning on taking my car back to the shop once the corona situation improves. But if there is something as simple as swaybar bushings that need replacement, I'd rather do it my self. The car is now at 154K miles and I'm doubtful that any of the PO's bothered to replace any of the bushings.
When I first installed the coilovers the back end was all over the place until it got adjusted and corner balanced. It had a lot of weight biased on the front passenger wheel until it got fixed. Maybe the shop your dad took it to messed with the coilover settings?
Old 04-12-2020, 04:21 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Possibly, however many of the issues that I've had do seem to point to my having an issue with motor mounts. Once I fix those, I will be getting my alignment checked and further investigating the issue. I will keep you posted on the details!
Old 05-10-2020, 05:23 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I thought I should update this for those wondering what happened, I ended up getting new engine mounts due to the wobbling, sagging, and the wheel hop I noticed when the car was auto crossed a while back. I will have a post detailing how I did it

Quick Reply: Weird Wobbling