Sponsored by:

Zip sound when rotating engine by hand

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc1218
I soaked the lifters, the tensioners I did not, the shop manual did not mention this, oh well I guess I can remove uninstalling soak and reinstall. Sucks because she is all timed up.

Another question ..does anyone know what these strange clear half capsule things are? They came with the gasket set and look like one half of a medicine pill I'm thinking maybe a type of shrink wrap /seal for a bolt? What bolts? I have no idea
It's best to "cook" the lifters in engine oil at 100 degrees while using a pushrod to compress the lifter plunger surface. This fills the lifter with engine oil so they will function properly on initial engine startup. Same for tensioners.
I bought a cheap Walmart electric plug-in plate with cover for this. Teflon for easy cleanup!
Old 03-24-2020, 03:02 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 507 Posts

[QUOTE=Sarc1218;16501883]ok a 996 with 30k equipped with a dual row IMSB, info from 2 10 year porsche techs from 2 different dealerships reporting 0 dual row IMSB failures. What is it, a 1% failure rate on the dualbrow equipped cars? Hell I should have my perfectly good cylinders replaced with nickes as well right because they may get scored? Or just done an ls1 swap to avoid ALL potential failures.....What's with all the smart *** remarks. If you have something helpful to say the say it. I'm sure we can all do with out the smart *** comments.[/QUOTE]
Wow! This is a forum and people will offer their opinions that might be contradictory to your actions. Don't be so sensitive...just a suggestion.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Duplicate my bad!
Old 03-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Sarc1218, I'll offer the same experience I had to you that I offered to the other poster whom said he was not going to change his IMSB while doing clutch/pp/to brng/rms. My experience relates to my 1999 986 Boxster which has the same engine architecture as the 996. My plan was to do the clutch/pp/to brng/rms and IMSB. The car needed a clutch and the rest of the work was preventative in nature. The car had 70K miles and, when I pulled the original dual row IMSB, it was rough and the center stud was wobbly. It was probably less than a couple of thousand miles from failure which would implicate catastrophic engine failure. I had bought the car with 52K miles and had religiously changed the oil every 4K miles with high quality oil, although not synthetic. Didn't get much in the way of service records from the PO so the frequency of oil changes prior to my purchase was unknown. Put the car back together with Vertex cylindrical roller bearing and 18K miles later all is well. My point is that dual row bearings do indeed fail, and if my memory serves me correctly, the lower mileage cars are particularly susceptible. It's often the case that preventative maintenance can save your bacon as was the case for me. Wouldn't it suck for you if you did all that work, then had the IMSB fail suddenly? Apologies if my original post offended you, but I stand by it. As the saying goes, sometimes the truth hurts.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:42 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 445 Posts

A professional mechanic who has not seen a Dual Row IMS Bearing fail is someone who has not worked on enough Porsche 996. I have seen one fail on a 1999 996. It came out wobbly and probably a few hundred miles from an engine blow up.

Still, this is your car, your wallet, and your risk to take. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:23 AM
Sarc1218
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok guys I do actually want to apologize. It is solid advice, I am active duty and this Covid crap is stressing us out beyond belief. That and I already dropped about 5k on it ot more o lost track after 5k. But I see now 600 more is cheap insurance. I really do not know which one I should go with. I like the roller style but read it's not as good as the ln products due to lateral stress resistance or something like that. It's been a long project due to uncle Sam's demands and I guess I'm just being unreasonable anxious to put her back on the road, I see that now thanks for not tearing into me.. Again please accept my apologies guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarc1218:
Dana Whicker (03-25-2020), Weazer (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 04:32 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Welcome to owning a Porsche,, term maintenance items
cost a lot. Its just part of the game,, There are MASSIVE
amounts of info on here about the IMSB ,, Dealer mechanics
are the last reference you should use,, other than warranty work
they wont see most of these. The 996 Indi shops will have seen
way more of them. When you consider that for almost half the
life of the car,, Porsche denied there was a problem at all..

There is NO cheap exit out of this game, and Straight replacement
is good for approx 60 to 80 K just like the average clutch life..

Good luck and we have all been there or are going there..
Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 AM
Weazer
Racer

Sarc1218, I researched the cylindrical roller bearing prior to installing it and was attracted to the fact that it has 5 times the radial (side to side) load capacity as a ball bearing. I did, however, read anecdotal accounts that it did not possess the same axial (front to rear) capacity as a ball bearing. I am an ex-machinist from the former Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, and it was my experience that cylindrical roller bearings were the preference for heavy duty applications, that's why I chose the cylindrical roller bearing. In our application on 986/996 series Porsches the cylindrical roller bearing is captured axially by the IMSB cover plate at one end and the IMS shaft itself at the other end of the bearing. I don't expect that there is much axial stress on the bearing from the IMS shaft because that shaft is connected to the crankshaft and to the cams by chains which are under tension. If there is axial stress on the bearing from the IMS shaft moving front to rear, the engine has much greater problems than axial stress on the IMS bearing. Also, from the research I did, It was apparent that radial stress and poor lubrication are the killers for the original ball bearing design. I am happy with the choice I made, and was going to put the cylindrical roller bearing in my 1999 dual row ball bearing 996 as well, again as preventative maintenance while doing the clutch, only to discover it had a replacement engine that the PO did not disclose to me which contained the later large single row bearing which requires splitting the cases to replace. I did remove the oil seal from the bearing for added lubrication, and change the oil and filter religiously every 4K miles, including dissecting the oil filter looking for ferrous material. Anyway, best of luck with your project, and a salute to you and all of our men and women in uniform all of whom I hold in the highest regard. I retired after 38 years as a Department of Defense employee and had the good fortune to work with and for many fine military personnel, we are all lucky to have you protecting our country.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:03 AM
Sarc1218
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Weazer
Sarc1218, I researched the cylindrical roller bearing prior to installing it and was attracted to the fact that it has 5 times the radial (side to side) load capacity as a ball bearing. I did, however, read anecdotal accounts that it did not possess the same axial (front to rear) capacity as a ball bearing. I am an ex-machinist from the former Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, and it was my experience that cylindrical roller bearings were the preference for heavy duty applications, that's why I chose the cylindrical roller bearing. In our application on 986/996 series Porsches the cylindrical roller bearing is captured axially by the IMSB cover plate at one end and the IMS shaft itself at the other end of the bearing. I don't expect that there is much axial stress on the bearing from the IMS shaft because that shaft is connected to the crankshaft and to the cams by chains which are under tension. If there is axial stress on the bearing from the IMS shaft moving front to rear, the engine has much greater problems than axial stress on the IMS bearing. Also, from the research I did, It was apparent that radial stress and poor lubrication are the killers for the original ball bearing design. I am happy with the choice I made, and was going to put the cylindrical roller bearing in my 1999 dual row ball bearing 996 as well, again as preventative maintenance while doing the clutch, only to discover it had a replacement engine that the PO did not disclose to me which contained the later large single row bearing which requires splitting the cases to replace. I did remove the oil seal from the bearing for added lubrication, and change the oil and filter religiously every 4K miles, including dissecting the oil filter looking for ferrous material. Anyway, best of luck with your project, and a salute to you and all of our men and women in uniform all of whom I hold in the highest regard. I retired after 38 years as a Department of Defense employee and had the good fortune to work with and for many fine military personnel, we are all lucky to have you protecting our country.
Hi Weazer, thanks for the kind words and good advice my thoughts were the same regarding the roller bearing. Which one did you go with I have seen them made with steel cages, brass like cages and plastic/polymer.

Anyone have any thoughts on which one they would suggest. Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into one of the countless imsb vs. Imsb threads lol! I think LN partnered with one manufacturer at one point and has not entirely endorsed, I suspect due to their own product line but they definitely did not knock it down. I've heard good things.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:01 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

The LNE "Solution" is the best way do go!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:07 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sarc1218
Ok guys I do actually want to apologize. It is solid advice, I am active duty and this Covid crap is stressing us out beyond belief. That and I already dropped about 5k on it ot more o lost track after 5k. But I see now 600 more is cheap insurance. I really do not know which one I should go with. I like the roller style but read it's not as good as the ln products due to lateral stress resistance or something like that. It's been a long project due to uncle Sam's demands and I guess I'm just being unreasonable anxious to put her back on the road, I see that now thanks for not tearing into me.. Again please accept my apologies guys.
Thanks for your service. Take care of your mental health. The wrong kind of stress is not a good thing...at all.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 01:32 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,427 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
The LNE "Solution" is the best way do go!
Yes, go with The IMS Solution and NEVER worry about it again.

https://lnengineering.com/products/i...s-my97-01.html
Old 03-25-2020, 07:35 PM
Weazer
Racer

Sarc1218, I went with the Vertex cylindrical roller bearing (brass cage), again due to the 5X radial load capacity, and also due to the lower cost (approx. $500 if memory serves me back in 2017). My personal situation, mortgage payment, paying for college, child support and a wedding, was/is such that I attempt to maintain these cars on a budget. While the LN "Solution" may be the preferred lifetime remedy, at 4X the cost of the cylindrical roller bearing I just couldn't swing it. I'm confident the Vertex cylindrical roller bearing will last me until the next clutch job (conservatively, 60K miles per clutch) at which time I'll change it out as a routine maintenance wear item. I'd have to go through three more clutches for the LN "Solution" to have been cost effective for me. Such is the life of a retired DoD employee, I blame myself. BTW, TexSquirrel, that car is boss, love the headlight covers and aero kit!

Quick Reply: Zip sound when rotating engine by hand