Sponsored by:

Winter Project(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 09:12 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts
Default Winter Project(s)

I bought my car, a 03C2 in March of 19 in FL, car had about 75K and was coming off a major service done at Orbit, like it came out of service and I picked the car up a week or so later. Items addressed:

Direct Oil Feed Kit (IMS Bearing Kit)
Single Row IMS BearingSachs Clutch Kit
Dual Mass Flywheel
Flywheel Bolt, M10 x 50mm
Crankshaft Seal Ring
Camshaft Plug
Oil Separator
Mahle Oil Filter Kit
Liqui Moly 5w40 Synthetic Engine Oil
Engine Oil Drain Plug
Coolant Return Hose
Cooling Hose Connector
Coolant Filling Hose
Porsche Coolant
Bosch Spark Plug
Direct Ignition Coils
Engine Mounts
Engine Drive Belt
Brake Pad Set, Front
Brake Pad Set, Rear
Porsche Brake Fluid
Drive Belt Tension Roller
Drive Belt Idle Roller
Brake Pad Sensor
Sylvania High Performance Headlight Bulb
Bulb Socket for Front Turn Signal
HVAC Pollen Filter (Cabin Air Filter)
Valve Cover Washer

I picked the car up in FL and drove it home to Massachusetts. Over the course of my ownership I have done one oil change, washed it a bunch and put on about 6K miles, it's been great. Pic below is the day I picked up up minutes before starting my 2 days of 10HRS each in the car, what a blast.

I wanted a car that had the feel of a car purpose built for driving, hard. Regardless of the location street or track I want to get in and be removed of all distraction, creature comforts are not my thing in a weekend car.

First I put a set of cheap muffler deletes on, for the price I can replace them 3 times before spending for name brand stuff and for what they are, they work (Less weight) and sound amazing.

Next I put in a Sparco EVOII hard mounted to the floor, no more wife of guest drivers. I left them a perfectly good comfy Porsche factory seat on the passenger side if they're brave enough to get in.

Now the car is up on jack stands for the winter plan, the stuff below is bought and on the way or here:
Ohlins R&T
Tarett Drop Links
CAE Shifter
OMP Corsica Suede Steering Wheel
NRG Hub and quick release
12MM F and 15MM R Wheel spacers and extended wheel bolts
Refinish and Powder coat the stock wheels

Looking for a used roll bar setup and need to order a harness.

Still thinking about adding deep sump and baffle kit and a accusump setup.

If anyone else has some plans for the winter hibernation, feel free to share what they are and your progress.

Last edited by zbomb; 01-26-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Got some parts in:

Ohlins - sent a picture of these to my Dad, he asked if they were for an art museum or use on the car

Steering wheel and hub parts installed - Suede steering wheels are awesome. The removable hub should make it a fair bit easier to slide into the car without riding the seat bolster the whole way in. I hate when the bolsters get worn down.

Got the wheels back from the powder coater and mocked one up - Renewed excitement to get the car back on the ground.

Picking up an RSS 930 from a member tomorrow and the CAE shifter is due in early next week. Hopefully next weekend installs will be done.
The following 3 users liked this post by zbomb:
cucumber (03-27-2020), cwbrown (01-11-2020), Kodiak535 (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 11:19 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

Looking good. Wheels look even better on the car.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:29 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 185 Posts

Are you going to put some better rubber on, worthy of those coil overs?😎
looking good.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:15 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 204 Likes on 120 Posts

This looks like it's going to be an awesome thread. What made you go with the CAE shifter over the numeric shifter?
Old 01-12-2020, 01:40 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by sweet victory
This looks like it's going to be an awesome thread. What made you go with the CAE shifter over the numeric shifter?
Thanks.

I really like the shifter position on the CAE, I geeked out on CAE videos and although the numeric looks awesome as well, the CAE was the one for me.

Today was a long day, picked up the roll bar from an awesome member a couple hours away. removed the passenger side stock struts, finished the prep on the Öhlins and got the driver side installed. Tomorrow back on the ground.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Very cool thread!

Man, you're not wasting any time on your build!

Is your goal to track it, too?
Old 01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Very cool thread!

Man, you're not wasting any time on your build!

Is your goal to track it, too?
Thank you.

Going to do DE days this summer. Mostly will get driven hard on the street.

Got the car back on the ground this morning. Took a quick pic that doesn't really do the car justice IMO, but I'm bias.

ETA: Ohlins were setup per factory specs and I am really happy with the ride height so far. I expect a tad of settling but man, what a difference from factory. Now I need to find a competent shop in the area to dial the alignment and corner weight. Any suggestions in the MA/RI area welcomed.

Everyone loves pictures though.

Last edited by zbomb; 01-12-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm going to install a deep sump with baffle as well. I considered an Accusump setup, but I met a guy at the track last year who has a 996 C2 that he's been tracking for 5 years. He said the deep sump and baffle has been perfectly fine.

Is this your first 996?
Old 01-12-2020, 01:30 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
I'm going to install a deep sump with baffle as well. I considered an Accusump setup, but I met a guy at the track last year who has a 996 C2 that he's been tracking for 5 years. He said the deep sump and baffle has been perfectly fine.

Is this your first 996?
Good info, thanks.

And yes, this is my first Porsche.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:15 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Washed off garage dust and grabbed a pic outside.

And... Pulled it back in and removed seats, console - Roll bar going in now and the shifter gets here tuesday.

Almost there.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:21 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

your next project IMO should be to repaint those ugly yellow calipers back to black.
Otherwise looking good. take a pic without such a busy background so the car stands out more
The following users liked this post:
dporto (01-13-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 10:02 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
your next project IMO should be to repaint those ugly yellow calipers back to black.
Otherwise looking good. take a pic without such a busy background so the car stands out more
For the first time since I have owned the car I actually like the yellow calipers behind the bronze wheels so probably going to keep them for the time being.

After I get the car finished and can get out in it without all the sand/salt we have up here I'll take some less spur of the moment pics. These are all really just to update and pass along the view I have, with the time I have, in the place I am.

Evening update is I am pitched in an epic battle of wills with the roll bar install and getting all the mounting points to jive together. I am going to be a sore dude tomorrow. Also got the center console out in preparation for the CAE shifter. Found a long dead salamander under the passenger seat along with some CD's and a business card someone must have left on the windshield a life ago offering to buy it if the PO was selling. Glad I got there first.

And yes, I vacuumed the **** out of the interior while all the seats and console were removed and gave the salamander a proper send off.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:13 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 185 Posts

Are you going to keep the Amber side markers?
I see you kept the Sumi's. Sounds and looks like you're going to drive it like intended. When they wear out, treat yourself to a set of Michelin Pilot sports. Transforms driving experience.
looks good!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Amen to that brother !

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
I see you kept the Sumi's. Sounds and looks like you're going to drive it like intended. When they wear out, treat yourself to a set of Michelin Pilot sports. Transforms driving experience.
looks good!
Michelins n 911's along w/ the mid engine cars work pretty well together.

Or get a set of Pilot Sport Cups/2 on 2nd wheels and your track days will last a season or 2.
Just no autocross FTD's.

Quick Reply: Winter Project(s)