996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Winter Project(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 12:50 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I like the yellow calipers and orange fender lights.

Pics of decayed salamander carcass?

Which CDs? Something interesting like Color Me Badd or Right Said Fred? Perhaps Chumbawumba'so greatest hits?

I can't wait for the shifter install and review. My friend is getting one for his 986 Boxster race car as well.

Did you order the shifter cables, too?
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
I like the yellow calipers and orange fender lights.
Thanks !

Pics of decayed salamander carcass?
No dice...Off the the vacuum Gods

Which CDs? Something interesting like Color Me Badd or Right Said Fred? Perhaps Chumbawumba'so greatest hits?
Classics such as Blues Traveler and 25 Motown #1 hits over 25 years - Not my bag

I can't wait for the shifter install and review. My friend is getting one for his 986 Boxster race car as well.

Did you order the shifter cables, too?
No cables for now, I'll see how it works with the standard and go from there.

I picked the shifter up today from a DHL location. Picked up in Germany on Friday and picked up in good ole Rhode Island USA on a Monday. Bang up job by DHL.

It's a pretty impressive piece of kit.

The roll bar install kicked my *** last night trying to get the 2 bolts that mount to the seat belt anchor locations in. Going to take some real persuasion to make the whole setup dance.

If anyone knows a really, really strong person of very small stature who could supply some muscle I would compensate with a hearty pat on the back.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:58 PM
zbomb
Race Car

The roll bar may have won a few battles and left me with some bumps and bruises...but.... In the end... I was victorious. That being said, it was one of the more unenjoyable installs I have done in a while.

After pushing / pulling / prying with multiple people over the weekend unsuccessfully I took a day off to think about a better solution. In the end, I ended up using a ratchet strap to pull the offending bar into position and secure the hardware, did the trick and didn't need any other hands.

Once that was behind me, I put in the CAE shifter which after the roll bar fiasco, was enjoyingly simple.

Bolted the seats back in and all that's left is the console. I think I will wait and give it a little drive to prove out the settings of the CAE before I put it back in.

With that, installs done for this winter round of goodies. I will setup an alignment and suspension setup soon and then wait for the roads to clear up to really enjoy the fruits of my labor in anger, for now, I'm pretty happy just to admire.

I'll refresh this thread with some not garage / driveway pics when the next opportunity presents itself.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:07 PM
zbomb
Race Car

I had to tidy up the garage after completing all the installs, it is a beautiful, if windy day in central Massachusetts and the car was begging to get more that a 1/4 mile down the road, I caved and obliged.

Car needs an alignment, but, those Öhlins sure feel like they are going to fly. 15 clicks on bumpy roads and if anything, more compliant than the worn out stock stuff. Chassis feels very taut with the addition of the cage.

I have to say though, in the beginning of this round of changes I wanted to transform the driving experience to a more direct, sharper feel and driving it for the first time after all this stuff was installed, the shifter stands out. It is expensive and anything but discrete but man does it feel awesome. The placement is perfect and the engagement is so mechanically satisfying, it is worth the money.

If anyone bumps across this thread and has questions on any of the items or their installation, please feel free to reach out.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:25 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 815 Posts

Everything looks awesome. You're doing pretty much exactly what I wanted to do with my old C2.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:48 PM
zbomb
Race Car

DIY Lower console delete.

Going to see if I like it before going for the GT3 setup.

Or maybe something different, don't know but had some time to kill and figured I'd see what it looked like.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:44 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Made some adjustments to the CAE shifter and am happy with the action.

It's pretty awesome.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:53 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow! looks really nice, you should see if you can get some vinyl pieces for the center caps, that's what I did.

Quick Reply: Winter Project(s)