Sponsored by:

At a crossroads on my 1999 996 C2 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 08:25 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 247 Posts
Default At a crossroads on my 1999 996 C2 Coupe

I am the third owner, having bought this car in 2001, then two years old, from a co-worker who keeps meticulous care of his cars. I've put on ~30,000 miles in the ~18 years I've owned it, with much of the last 8 years sitting under cover in my garage. Dusting it off now, poring through this forum (awesome resource!), and debating whether to: (1) drive more or less as is; (2) perform IMS, RMC, clutch, etc., and continue to drive it for years; or (3) sell as is and buy a Tesla. I am leaning toward option 1, with a basic program of typical maintenance. Local dealers here in Silicon Valley (can there be a more expensive place to have a Porsche serviced??) are quoting almost $4,000 to perform IMS, and my recent research suggests the car is worth in the low teens with IMS done, so if wikipedia is right, that ~1% of early 996's will have a major IMS failure, I'm inclined to roll the dice and drive it as is. Being suddenly stranded somewhere if I am unlucky doesn't bother me. It becomes a roller, I take an uber home, and go buy that Tesla.
So over the past week I've picked up the Bentley bible, the 101 projects book, and have spent too many hours reading all your great posts here. I think I'll run the Blackstone oil analysis, check the oil filter on a change this week, and assuming no major bad news, the tactical project list then includes:
  • basic maintenance as prescribed by the factory, probably targeting the 60,000 mile list
  • personal vow to change oil every 6mo or 5,000 whichever comes first
  • drive it hard most of the time, with RPMs > 2,000 and foot firmly on one one pedal or another
  • radio upgrade to get AM/FM and Bluetooth. Thinking the Continental radio covered in this 993 project post.
  • clear out all drain ways (currently feeling damp carpet behind driver seat)
  • fix driver window regulator, which just failed recently
  • replace windshield (pitted, worn, ruins a beautiful day in a beautiful car)
  • minor paint touch up
  • implement the clever "cheap key" solution, as I currently have only one key
  • replace frunk shocks
  • buy a decent car cover
  • tires and pads are good for now, but will need both within 2020
  • MacGyver a combo solution of cup holder and phone holder, wedged gently between center console and shotgun seat. Haven't seen any aftermarket solution that does what I want here. Maybe I'll even try to get wireless charging into the phone holder.
  • fix a few minor issues broken inside: both visor mirror flaps, center console hinge
  • shampoo carpets and original floor mats
If no bad news shows up over the next several months, then I might spring for the performance software upgrade, and buy a bit of Porsche swag. But can't fall [back] in love with this car if heartbreak appears likely.

Roller valuation: if my engine blew tomorrow, any predictions of value post tragedy?

Thanks all. A few pics attached. The underneath photos were 5 minutes with my phone in the driveway. See anything that portends big bills or broken heart?

Kelly

Manufactured in Feb 1998

Need to look up the option codes. Car is pretty stock though.

The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Question for ya. If you've driven it for 18 years without issue, why are you worried about it blowing up tomorrow? It's a 99, so less prone to IMSB issues. If you are asking for opinions, I'd vote for maintaining and driving that awesome C2! I also can't think of a more boring appliance than a Tesla. Rode in an S model a few weeks back. Pretty dull. Miles away from a sports car. Also check out shops in the East Bay. Might be cheaper than SV.
Ratchet1025 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:45 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

If it has spent the last 8 years covered up then 1. you must not “Need” the money from it but 2. you must also not really enjoy it. If it has no sentimental value then just get a different car you will enjoy as chances are you will just cover it up again.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSETarga:
Elumere (01-01-2020), Gingerman (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:46 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by wkf94025
I am the third owner, having bought this car in 2001, then two years old, from a co-worker who keeps meticulous care of his cars. I've put on ~30,000 miles in the ~18 years I've owned it, with much of the last 8 years sitting under cover in my garage. Dusting it off now, poring through this forum (awesome resource!), and debating whether to: (1) drive more or less as is; (2) perform IMS, RMC, clutch, etc., and continue to drive it for years; or (3) sell as is and buy a Tesla. I am leaning toward option 1, with a basic program of typical maintenance. Local dealers here in Silicon Valley (can there be a more expensive place to have a Porsche serviced??) are quoting almost $4,000 to perform IMS, and my recent research suggests the car is worth in the low teens with IMS done, so if wikipedia is right, that ~1% of early 996's will have a major IMS failure, I'm inclined to roll the dice and drive it as is. Being suddenly stranded somewhere if I am unlucky doesn't bother me. It becomes a roller, I take an uber home, and go buy that Tesla.
So over the past week I've picked up the Bentley bible, the 101 projects book, and have spent too many hours reading all your great posts here. I think I'll run the Blackstone oil analysis, check the oil filter on a change this week, and assuming no major bad news, the tactical project list then includes:
  • basic maintenance as prescribed by the factory, probably targeting the 60,000 mile list
  • personal vow to change oil every 6mo or 5,000 whichever comes first
  • drive it hard most of the time, with RPMs > 2,000 and foot firmly on one one pedal or another
  • radio upgrade to get AM/FM and Bluetooth. Thinking the Continental radio covered in this 993 project post.
  • clear out all drain ways (currently feeling damp carpet behind driver seat)
  • fix driver window regulator, which just failed recently
  • replace windshield (pitted, worn, ruins a beautiful day in a beautiful car)
  • minor paint touch up
  • implement the clever "cheap key" solution, as I currently have only one key
  • replace frunk shocks
  • buy a decent car cover
  • tires and pads are good for now, but will need both within 2020
  • MacGyver a combo solution of cup holder and phone holder, wedged gently between center console and shotgun seat. Haven't seen any aftermarket solution that does what I want here. Maybe I'll even try to get wireless charging into the phone holder.
  • fix a few minor issues broken inside: both visor mirror flaps, center console hinge
  • shampoo carpets and original floor mats
If no bad news shows up over the next several months, then I might spring for the performance software upgrade, and buy a bit of Porsche swag. But can't fall [back] in love with this car if heartbreak appears likely.

Roller valuation: if my engine blew tomorrow, any predictions of value post tragedy?

Thanks all. A few pics attached. The underneath photos were 5 minutes with my phone in the driveway. See anything that portends big bills or broken heart?

Kelly

Manufactured in Feb 1998

Need to look up the option codes. Car is pretty stock though.
Wow, super clean, love the car. IMO you will miss it if it goes. I have driven and love the Teslas, but the experience is completely opposite (of course). Is it possible to keep both?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:51 PM
blacksquid
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Beautiful early '98 production 996. The car looks immaculate! Dual row IMS so I wouldn't worry about that for the moment. Are those hollow spoke wheels?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:59 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

How many miles are actually on it? I can't imagine it's worth only low teens, while it might not fetch higher amounts on the 996 spectrum it doesn't look like a dud. First and foremost with it sitting for so long find a good independent shop and have them go through it and see what they recommend. If you have a leak in the rear main seal you might as well do the IMS while you are in there. I know you are in one of the most expensive parts of the country but a good indy should be cheaper than a dealer. After that drive it a little and see how you feel. I've always liked red with the beige interior, it seems like such a classic look.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:07 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for your quick and thoughtful responses. I wish I knew how to multi-quote, without spending all afternoon cutting and pasting, but here are some responses/clarifications:
  • I *do* love driving the car
  • Work situation for 5+ years was such that the optics of driving *this* car was problematic. Thus the 2005 F150 crew cab with lumber rack. ;-)
  • #1 reason to switch to a Tesla is not performance, it's environmental conscience, esp with two younger kids (11 and 7) talking about it daily
  • I am not living in daily fear of IMS explosion, and agree that if I've made it this far (apparently), chances are good I am in the Lucky Majority on IMS
  • Yes, keeping both is an option, though wife might not be too happy with that driveway-wise, but yes.
  • One of you asked about the wheels. No clue as to the vernacular. They are original from the factory, whatever they're called.
  • 52k miles on it. First 2 years it live in Austin, Bay Area ever since.
Leaning further toward Option 1. Thanks gents.

Kelly
Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Oooh, just figured out multi-quote!

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Question for ya. If you've driven it for 18 years without issue, why are you worried about it blowing up tomorrow? It's a 99, so less prone to IMSB issues. If you are asking for opinions, I'd vote for maintaining and driving that awesome C2! I also can't think of a more boring appliance than a Tesla. Rode in an S model a few weeks back. Pretty dull. Miles away from a sports car. Also check out shops in the East Bay. Might be cheaper than SV.
East Bay shops a good idea.

Originally Posted by JSETarga
If it has spent the last 8 years covered up then 1. you must not “Need” the money from it but 2. you must also not really enjoy it. If it has no sentimental value then just get a different car you will enjoy as chances are you will just cover it up again.
See prior post. I do love the car and love driving it. 2nd gear my fav, going over toward the coast on a tight windy road.

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Wow, super clean, love the car. IMO you will miss it if it goes. I have driven and love the Teslas, but the experience is completely opposite (of course). Is it possible to keep both?
Agree, I could very likely have seller's remorse ...

Originally Posted by blacksquid
Beautiful early '98 production 996. The car looks immaculate! Dual row IMS so I wouldn't worry about that for the moment. Are those hollow spoke wheels?
Thanks all.
Ratchet1025 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 09:14 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

I think getting it sorted and driving it a bit is your best option since you don't need to sell it. If you just sell it you might regret it, if you get it sorted, drive it a bit and then decide it's okay to let it go you will have a clear conscience over it.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:25 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Seller’s remorse is real!
Old 12-31-2019, 12:31 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Also, not sure I believe in the whole “environmentally friendly” thing with Tesla, or any other electric car. Lithium mining and what happens when the batteries have served their lifecycle are not what I’d consider “sustainable”.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bash Hat:
escimo (12-31-2019), Ratchet1025 (12-31-2019), TechSavvySam (01-01-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 12:57 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 366 Posts

That's a real beauty, original right down to the factory Becker CDR210 radio and exterior lights.
generally don't like red 996s but the fried egg headlights and amber tails are a very nice contrast! The white (silver?) inserts in the bumper are interesting.

If you want to know the options:
234 Internal production code related to tyres
408 18" 993 Turbo Technology hollow spoke wheels (haven't seen these in Hollow spoke before, poster above was right!)
424 CD compartment (seems to be missing, replaced with a secondary storage cubby)
437 8-way electrical seat, left
438 8-way electrical seat, right
490 Basic sound system
537 Seat memory, left
688 CD-radio Becker Porsche CDR-210 USA
936 Leather rear seats
983 Leather front seats

I've got a 99 just like this but a few months "newer"
Has 134k miles, a stack of maintenance records and I'm the third owner. I'm going to drive it til the wheels fall off and fix what comes up.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:01 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I think purchasing a new car (let alone one that requires a lot of mining to produce, heavily reliant on aluminum production, with large batteries being shipped around the world, and uncertain end of life cycle recycling of said corrosive metals -and is powered by whatever the electric grid relies on) is more damaging to the environment than using a properly operating modern car with emission controls for the rest of it's useful life.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ahmet:
Randy Watson (01-04-2020), Ratchet1025 (12-31-2019), Rdrcr (12-31-2019), TechSavvySam (01-01-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 01:02 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Most People have no clue about "environmentally friendly" when it comes to EV!

When was the last oil change and the one before that? Old acidic oil eats bearings...
Ahmet (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 01:03 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by wkf94025
Thanks all for your quick and thoughtful responses. I wish I knew how to multi-quote, without spending all afternoon cutting and pasting, but here are some responses/clarifications:
  • I *do* love driving the car
  • Work situation for 5+ years was such that the optics of driving *this* car was problematic. Thus the 2005 F150 crew cab with lumber rack. ;-)
  • #1 reason to switch to a Tesla is not performance, it's environmental conscience, esp with two younger kids (11 and 7) talking about it daily
  • I am not living in daily fear of IMS explosion, and agree that if I've made it this far (apparently), chances are good I am in the Lucky Majority on IMS
  • Yes, keeping both is an option, though wife might not be too happy with that driveway-wise, but yes.
  • One of you asked about the wheels. No clue as to the vernacular. They are original from the factory, whatever they're called.
  • 52k miles on it. First 2 years it live in Austin, Bay Area ever since.
Leaning further toward Option 1. Thanks gents.

Kelly
I don't think I'll ever understand this. People at work comment on mine all the time. And then I tell them it cost less than the 2019 Civic they just stepped out of and they look all puzzled
"But it's a Porsche"

That it is, Ace.
The following 2 users liked this post by GarrettSR5:
Capt. Obvious (12-31-2019), Gingerman (12-31-2019)

Quick Reply: At a crossroads on my 1999 996 C2 Coupe