Sponsored by:

New owner chasing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 03:22 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
One suggestion - don't just clear the codes, reset the ECU/DME entirely. Disconnect the battery negative lead for about an hour. You really need to do this after replacing O2 sensors. It will return all ECU/DME settings to default. Then go for a drive so the ECU/DME can re-learn all the O2 sensor values feedback and can adjust to new 02 sensors.
^^ I would second this - I had a situation where I got a CEL, subsequently did a bunch of work to address the code(s), and although everything spec'd properly the codes/CEL remained. It wasn't 'til I did a hard reset that they went away and remained away. In addition to disconnecting the battery, when you do, touch the two loose leads together for a second. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:38 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
^^ I would second this - I had a situation where I got a CEL, subsequently did a bunch of work to address the code(s), and although everything spec'd properly the codes/CEL remained. It wasn't 'til I did a hard reset that they went away and remained away. In addition to disconnecting the battery, when you do, touch the two loose leads together for a second. Good luck.
WARNING what he is talking about is disconnecting BOTH battery leads from the battery...the negative AND the positive leads from the battery and then touching the two together.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:39 AM
mojoreese
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DBJoe996!
This seems to have fixed the problem. I disconnected the battery for a few hours and now the O2 sensors are communications with the car computer. I'm seeing voltage where before it was 0.00. No CEL for the time being. The battery leads are not long enough to touch to each other so I didn't even try that part.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:08 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

I love a good success story. Great to hear!
Old 06-22-2020, 08:59 PM
sacman
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm chasing this very own issue and i'm down to the last suggestion of disconnecting the battery. I assume that I would have to do the drive cycles to get the readiness flags corrected?
Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 AM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your exhaust rattles don't discount the cat converter.I have one where the substrate came loose in cat ,the whole assy became detached from internal mount .Depending whether I accelerated or stopped the cel light would come on .Looking inside it was clear the cat was defective.

Quick Reply: New owner chasing CEL