Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever fight a paced speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:47 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOLLOW UP: Anyone ever fight a paced speeding ticket?

Oddly enough I got one saturday on my way to a DE 88mph reduced to 84mph

I am thinking it was dark and there were lots of other cars on the road so maybe i can get a lawyer and "tell my version of what happened"

Anyone ever succesfully fight a VASCAR (sp?) ticket ?
Anybody know how to get my ticket fixed for a fee?
Anyone from AZ who can recomend a good lawyer?
How much?
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jbdmd; 04-08-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:56 AM
NiveK
Racer

i asked for a small jury trial, and when it came time it was dismissed because the cop didn't show up, i imagine they just didn't want to waste all that time and money with a 6 person jury with such an inaccurate way of determining speed
Old 02-18-2004, 09:51 AM
RWO
Burning Brakes

I did. In my case we proved that the cop did not have enough time to start from a dead stop, accerate to catch up, and then pace for for a minimum distance (I don't remember what that distance was), in order to get an accurrate read on my speed. The other factor in my case was that all this happened on a city street, not a highway... Part of the Judge's ruling was that "pacing" was intended for the highway, not city streets...

Roy
Old 02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Juan
Instructor

The undoubtedly used his speedometer for pacing. The speedometer "head" is removed and calibrated on the test bench, there is NO calibration certificate as installed, too many variables, tire pressure, etc.

The officer likely checked the as installed calibration just after coming on-shift with another officer's radar until therefore "hearsay" evidence. When he came on shift the tires were likely cold and he will likely have no idea of the change in accuracy as a result of the tires heating up and air pressure increasing their rolling circumference.

And how often does he even check his tire pressure himself?

Is the speedometer driven from the front, FWD, or the rear?

You don't mention the posted speed limit, if it was 70 or 75 you might have a chance with the above arguments, if 45, you're toast.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:19 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

i get an attorney involved in all speeding tickets--it's cheaper than increased insurance premiums.

your local porsche club should be able to advise you of a good lawyer--porsche owners are great clients and repeat customers.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Cool996
Advanced

I got a similar ticket a couple of weeks ago. But mine is 80 in a 65 and the officer didn't pace me. I didn't see him in the carpool lane and passed him.

Now is there a law about the calibration thing and do you guys think that it'll be worth fighting (do I have a chance to win)?

When I was in college a professor (ex CHP) told us about how they are supposed to have their radar's calibrated every 3 months and that they never did it. I don't remember how to prove this in court.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:13 PM
wilam
Instructor

Let me know how your case turns out as I could use this AZ info for the future. Were you going too fast to qualify for traffic school to get this ticket removed? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ignacio
porsche owners are great clients and repeat customers.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:29 PM
silver996
Instructor

just to set the record straight, i think that jason got paced by an airplane (VASCAR), not by a cruiser on the road...
Old 02-18-2004, 08:59 PM
safetywork
Instructor

Ouch. Aircraft instruments are pretty accurate. But.... how would the pilot or the co-pilot of the aircraft determine your speed? Match against the wing tip? Or is there a device to make sure the plane is following at the same speed as the car below? I mean if I move my head slightly forwards or backwards (and depending on altitude) matched up against the wing tip (or something or point of reference), you could very possibly be traveling 10 or even 15 miles faster or slower! ????
Old 02-18-2004, 09:31 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Have you ever wondered what the white stripes painted a 1/4 mile apart on the highway are for? They're for the highway patrol to time you across a measured distance so they can compute your speed. VASCAR == Vehicle Average Speed Calculator & Recorder
Old 02-18-2004, 11:32 PM
JakeMate
Racer

I too, got a speeding ticket over the weekend. I wasn't even in the Porsche. I was driving to the car show with my little boy in the back. He was crying up a storm and I didn't notice the cop behind me.

He says I was doing 62 in a 45 but wrote it up for a 62 in a 50. It was 8 in the morning and there was no one on the road. His pacing distance wasn't very far at all either. It was on Laguna Canyon Road.

Is it worth getting a lawyer, or should I do the school? If a lawyer, can anyone recommend one in Orange County?

First ticket in 12 years.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Juan
Instructor

I absolutely love going to court against a bear in the air. The FAA says his primary responsibility is keeping his eyes open for other air traffic. He dare not testify otherwise, usually he won't even show up in court. Be damn sure he is supenaed by the court.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:05 AM
NiveK
Racer

fight all speeding tickets regardless of guilt or outcome, because the hit it takes on your insurance is terrible, then if you fight and loose they usually have you do a driver Ed. course or give you deffered Ajudication so that it doesn't go on your perm. record
Old 04-07-2004, 09:41 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Default I won!!!!

just a little follow up

I got a lawyer and he went to court on my behalf today and the officer never showed so my ticket was dismissed!!!

The piece of mind representation gave me was worth the price! Plus I didn't have to miss a days work...which would have cost me way more than the price of the lawyer!

fight the power!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever fight a paced speeding ticket?