996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 06:56 PM
mozhacker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair, this one bad incident in 20 days of p-car ownership has been far outweighed by the positive thumbs up and other many cheerful people asking questions, looking, or smiling as I/they go by/fill-up at gas station.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:46 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bass GT3

I drive a loud and leery Zanzibar red GT3 about here in the UK,
I'm jealous, that's exactly the color I wanted. For the new GT3 (at least in the US) they won't do it even as a "paint to sample." Nice ride and nice color!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Keyvan
Racer

Yes I would agree the UK is too socalist. But it's not as bad as the rest of Europe.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Originally posted by mozhacker
Location: Manhattan Beach/El Segundo border area, red light at corner of Rosecrans Ave. and Aviation. I was in middle lane, two guys in one of those monster SUVs - Yukon, Tahoe, something like that pulls up to stop on my right.

Driver leans out, makes some weird face and spits on right window/door. Then he and his buddy laugh and make disco moves or something that causes the truck to rock up and down, with of course the accompanying insanely loud + megathump bass of what I presume is the latest 8-Mile wannabe music.

Hardest part was sitting there for the minute or so before the light changed wondering what else they would do. Odd part I wasn't so much afraid as just pissed off, but not wanting the cretins to actually drive into the side of my p-car, I just sat in the car instead of getting out. And this is LA, for all I know, they might have had guns.
There are far to many young punk bu** heads like that in the MBch/Torrance area. I use to live in MBch. You probably did the right thing under the circumstances. But, I am not sure I would have been as proper as you were. Under the circumstances, if something happened, their SUV, could clearly be construed as a lethal weapon.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:01 PM
fahren affair
Pro

hostility towards my car is something i've never experienced. however, i had a friend in high school with a ferrari 308 gtsi. we weren't spit on but we'd find a pool of it on the seats if the top was off. worst incident was getting one side of his car keyed nose to tail. he kinda deserved it, we took two parking stalls in a crowed lot.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:31 AM
drafting
Instructor

Originally posted by mozhacker
Driver leans out, makes some weird face and spits on right window/door. Then he and his buddy laugh and make disco moves or something that causes the truck to rock up and down, with of course the accompanying insanely loud + megathump bass of what I presume is the latest 8-Mile wannabe music.

Hardest part was sitting there for the minute or so before the light changed wondering what else they would do. Odd part I wasn't so much afraid as just pissed off, but not wanting the cretins to actually drive into the side of my p-car, I just sat in the car instead of getting out. And this is LA, for all I know, they might have had guns.
That totally blows . There's an underlying rage in some people that just seems to manifest itself when presented w/ a situation of perceived inferiority or have/have not.

Those asswipes likely aren't going anywhere in their lives, and spewing a lugey onto your sweet ride was the most intellectual effort they'd undertaken all day. The positive spin here is that you were under control, your car is okay, and those dudes will be stone deaf in a couple of years after bass-hammering their auditory system. It is fortunate that the incident was at a busy intersection and that they didn't see your car in a parking lot somewhere. Persons of their diminished social/cranial capacity surely would have left a mark that wouldn't wash away. fwiw....

Jeff
Old 03-12-2004, 03:38 AM
wilam
Instructor

Did you guys read the story of the African American doctor in CA who picked up his new GT3 and was run off the freeway by a couple of trailer trashers in a pickup truck not long after he took delviery in January? The car was totalled by the ins. co.. Luckily the doctor walked away. This was on the GT3 Rennlist board. If I recall correctly, it was a post for a "anybody need a parts car" or something like that. It was a terrible story and a sad statement on our society today.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

What's the longest thread ever in the history of rennlist?
Old 03-12-2004, 01:22 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Joe2000C4Cab
What's the longest thread ever in the history of rennlist?
This one I think. It needs to be retired
Old 03-12-2004, 03:09 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Why do you feel this tread needs to be retired? If you feel, quit posting...
Old 03-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

brh986,

thanks!
Zanzibar is one of those colours you either love at first sight or it leaves you cold. Depends if you want to be noticed or not!
Just to tantalise you a bit more, check out this web page.
She should be in this months GT Purely Porsche! fame and fortune beckons!!

http://www.featurecars.com/GT3%20996.htm

Regards,

Steve B
Old 03-17-2004, 10:43 AM
dhud
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Envy

I know this thread is getting long but I have to tell everyone how much it has helped. I bought my first P-car 3 years ago which was a Boxster. A year ago I bought a 2002 911 C4S. And a week ago I added a 2004 Cayenne S. I have loved all of the cars and am obviously a certified Porsche nut. I have been a Porsche fanatic since I was a kid and I am finally in a position to indulge my passion. But boy, in the past week now owning TWO Porsches, I have seen the envy come out from co-workers, family, and friends. I don't get it. Growing up I was happy for people who had success. That obviuosly is a rare trait. Thank you all for this thread. I feel better now and plan on enjoying my Porsche's. The heck with jealousy.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm bringing this thread back to life. A new generation of Porsche owners have issues, and they're all the emotional kind.

So vent!!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:05 AM
woody-77
Racer

Originally Posted by riad
I lived in one of the most exclusive areas in NY, Scarsdale in Westchester, and people still noticed it. Now I live in a more blue collar area and I stick out like a sore thumb... but yeah I would say if you're driving in South Beach with a Turbo Cab, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
I would think driving around Monroe you would get a lot of looks especially when you pass one of the hundreds of rusted pick up trucks in that town.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by woody-77
I would think driving around Monroe you would get a lot of looks especially when you pass one of the hundreds of rusted pick up trucks in that town.
I'm not sure when the last time you were in Monroe, but it's turning into the next Westchester. Just down the road from me they are building homes starting at $680,000 - 40 of them!

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?