996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 10:21 AM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment much on the midlife crisis front. I'll be 25 in a couple months. But I must say that while most people are positive about "me" having this/these cars, there are a lot of people out there who are hostile about it. In my town of 5k people, driving downtown usually gets other young people yelling and talking ****. Of course, I'm in a very poor area, but there's a certain sector who would rather vandalize than ignore the situation altogether. I have to hide my cars on Halloween...

As for the Porsche envy situation...my parents kinda shake their head in disbelief at my automotove exploits. My siblings are secretly and disdainfully jealous. Some of my "friends" are too...
Old 02-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Chicago996
Racer

Other than my bro-in-law, nobody knows/gets the 911 in my friends/family circle. The epitome of luxury and having "made it" is a big Jag or a big Benz to these folks, I'm sorry to say. Some remarks that have stuck in my mind:

1. A girlfriend of my wife visiting us and saw the Carrera in the driveway in our old house. Comment "I love your Camaro!"

2. My father-in-law after I gave him a ride. Comment "Something's not right. You could feel all the bumps on the road!"

3. A couple of friend of ours who found out thru a mutual friend about the p-car. Comment: none. That was weird. If I suddenly found out that someone I have been hanging out with drives a p, f, or l car, you bet your a** I would wanna know all about about it.

4. A co-worker who had just hired on with the company went out to lunch with me. His comment: Oh, wow a porch-kee (pronounced just like the way I spelled it)...LOL

5. Most heard comments: Is it a turbo? "This" drives fast. Isn't "that" very expensive?

You drive a bimmer/benz/jag, everyone gets Bimmer/benz/jag envy in my circles. You drive a Porsche and you get the above

C'est la vie!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

My favorite...

"Carrera 4 - does the 4 mean it has 4 seats?"

ugh.

A bell hop who tried to put my luggage in the engine.. that was pretty funny for all the hotel guest waiting outside.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:39 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally posted by BostonMarkC
To summarize this thread, lots of people who don't understand the driving pleasure achieved from these cars follow the old addage...

P-O-R-S-C-H-E = proof only rich suckers can have everything
lol
Old 02-19-2004, 12:51 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok OK........ i have a good one! I am 32 , and i am Italian,so everyone who knows NOTHING about me , assumes I am in the MOB, but the ppl whom I am close to, know how hard I have worked to get here..Funny I still feel like an *** for living out my dream.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:56 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Being a Computer Consultant, I also get the look, Once I rolled up to a meeting and the first thing out of the client's mouth was "Oh your too expensive" HELLO - you get what you paid for slick. I never apologies for owning a Porsche, Why, How does that impact someone else's life ? It's my monthly nut I have to deal with not there's, if they like it so much, go get one, there's many out there. Enjoy the toy you worked so hard for my friends. I drive my Targa with Pride and a Smile to last the experience. Can I Get A AMEN !
Old 02-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Gnome
Racer

Chicago996 - Hilarious. #1 and 2 in particular.

Riad - I thought "Carrera 4" meant it has 4 wheels?

Old 02-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Chicago996, I agree, hilarious. Especially the one about the father-in-law.

After I took my dad for a ride (local streets) he said "Don't you ever get it out of 2nd gear? Then I showed him my ticket for 120mph. "Oh, I guess you have...". :-)

Okay, we've mentioned envy, jealousy, "mid-life crisis", hasn't anyone ever gotten "trophy car"? I really wanted to curse fluently in reply to that one but since it was from a friend of my wife's I replied "No, I got a trophy WIFE instead."
Old 02-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

lol
My mom called my car a 'camaro' too.

RJMDAD, I'm a consultant too, and I drive my Explorer to clients for that very reason. It's weird, people want 'successful' brokers, agents, lawyers, and other fields so they don't mind the nice cars, but in our field, it's a negative perception for having things like this.

I once had to drive my Turbo to a lunch meeting. After lunch we were all walking out to our cars, and I had forgotten that I wasn't in the Explorer. One of the clients as a joke pointed to my car and said, "I bet that's your car with what we're paying. haha" I was stunned when I remembered it was here. I said, "I wish!"
Then told them I had to go back inside and use the restroom before hitting the road. I went inside and waited for them all to leave before going back out to my car! haha
It's just not worth the discussion to let them see my car. It really can affect business.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Scott 996
Intermediate

You guys are killing me with this stuff.
I s*** you not, I just got the "Camaro" comment yesterday from a colleague--walked up on my car, saw the "Carrera" script, must have read "Camaro"...
Have you ever had the negative vibe from someone that you know well enough to know that they could have bought a P- Car or two as well if they hadn't pissed their money away on their own " frivilous" luxuries ????
It's all about priorities brother !!!
Old 02-19-2004, 05:12 PM
9 0NE 1
7th Gear

Originally posted by riad
I was 32 when I bought my new 2001 C4, and yes people asked if I was going through a mid-life crissis... I would reply, "I'm going to die at 64? Do you know something I don't"
HAHAHAHA! I like that!

I once had to drive my Turbo to a lunch meeting. After lunch we were all walking out to our cars, and I had forgotten that I wasn't in the Explorer. One of the clients as a joke pointed to my car and said, "I bet that's your car with what we're paying. haha" I was stunned when I remembered it was here. I said, "I wish!"
Then told them I had to go back inside and use the restroom before hitting the road. I went inside and waited for them all to leave before going back out to my car! haha
It's just not worth the discussion to let them see my car. It really can affect business.
This also applies when I go to Church. I had my car blessed when it was new (commom Filipino tradition) and ever since then, the Priest always gives me a longer handshake and gives me that look that says "I know you put a big donation on that envelope, right??...I'm sure you did". Now I drive my Nissan Sentra to Church and stay waaaaay at the back, usually away from the isles.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Originally posted by Scott 996
You guys are killing me with this stuff.
I s*** you not, I just got the "Camaro" comment yesterday from a colleague--walked up on my car, saw the "Carrera" script, must have read "Camaro"...
Have you ever had the negative vibe from someone that you know well enough to know that they could have bought a P- Car or two as well if they hadn't pissed their money away on their own " frivilous" luxuries ????
It's all about priorities brother !!!

hahaha. Yeah. My mom can't see very well and mis read the Carrera script.

She noticed the Turbo b/c after I told her what she did, she always looks there at the car and noticed the "Turbo". I'm surprised she didn't say, "You got a Tiburon?" hehe

As for friends w/ other stuff. I'm not kidding. My boss thinks I'm nuts and wasting money. He has FOUR.... that's FOUR f$#%ing boats! 2 sit in a marina. LOL
I called him on it and he got it after that.
Another friend is a member of 3 expensive, nice country clubs! haha He gives me crap all the time and I give it right back with "At least I have a car worthy of one of your clubs" hahaha (He's got a Chrysler 300 M) lol
Old 02-20-2004, 01:24 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Originally posted by Scott 996
Great thread.
How many of you more " life experienced" gentlemen have been accused of suffering your mid-life crisis by your possession of a P-car ??
Exchange went something like this--Young girl (20ish) in bar talking with older guy (50ish)--
He: " I think I'm having my mid life crisis .."
She: " Bought a Porsche yet ?? "

I recall when I purchased my car ( at age 32), having somebody tell me that "at least nobody will accuse you of having your mid life crisis.."
I remember actually thinking " what the F*** is that supposed to mean ??"
I think I finally know now. Most people just don't get it. Probably never will....
Yep... that's one of the first "a**umptions" made by those that haven't watched my "whole" life uncover. If you ask those that have known me for 30+yrs, they'd say doesn't surprise them. That remark is also generally made by a woman that hasn't stepped out of her worker drone box of expectations, and if by a man it's likely he's to concerned about his proper mature image or fears stepping outside the box and having fun.

Funny thing, that 20ish girl will likely latch on to him and enjoy life like never before and he'll probably have fun too. Look at the younger babes Michael Douglas and Sylvester Stalone have (if I recall, they both have Porsches). If we're all working hard doing the right things and can't have some fun along the way, life will become a vanilla folder.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:33 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Originally posted by Scouser
Scott 996,
Hit that one right on the nose.
I am approaching 50. Had my 996 almost 4 yrs but still everyone I know refers to it is my mid life crisis. I think the fact is that by the time your 50, your mortgage shuld be approaching closure and if you invested well you should be at a position where you can afford your dream car. As a result you will see many middle aged folk buying them.

Cheers,
Berny
I got a great laugh at your statement "mortgage should be approaching closure"...LOL. I live in So CA... If you live anywhere at all upscale, you've got almost a mil or more into your home and the paying it off LOL, means you "really" have "large" dollars and don't need the tax benefits.

Here in So CA very few stay in their home long enough to pay it off. If I recall in So CA, average ownership is 3-5yrs. Good part is when we sell this home (in 5-7yrs) the appreciation will be really nice thanks to CA's RE mkt.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:50 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Originally posted by Brian Lopez
Yea, that's what a friend of mine said too, "you must be having a mid life crisis", he also said "I know you bought that car because you knew that's what I wanted" -- ***.

I guess some people just can't stand it when you're succesful...too bad for him, I think he's a jerk now because of that stuff.

Real friends get stoked for you...
Brian, you said a mouth full there. Who needs jealous people at their side. All they do is think negative "a**umptions" and seek folks to commiserate with

Haven't you found it difficult to socialize with folks that are not on a similar success path or better? We surely have. Not because we're snobs either. I got married when I was 48.. to a woman with a 5 yr old boy...greatest move of my life. (even though sometimes I fight it)... When we attempt to socialize with the parents of our now mid-school son's friends, we run into social stature issues. Their all just starting out or reached their peak for one reason or another. Either way, petty differences surface fast when they're invited to our home. They spend so much time in awe and envy of our home, toys and lifestyle, they loose site that we're just folks too... and that pi**** me off all to often.

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?