996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done an LS3 swap on here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:52 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Although I am not considering doing this (unless things change dramatically with my car), this thread got me curious. Between the vendors supporting it and affordable/available crate motors, I can see why someone would do this.

This one sounds like an easy plug and play: https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...95009/10002/-1
Old 07-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
This one sounds like an easy plug and play: https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...95009/10002/-1
That’s a good choice for powers emissions compliance. 6600 rpm max, wonder what it would take to get another 1000 rpm out of it reliably?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:25 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

It is a good option but its tought to get above 7k rpm without a lot of work to the heads. I did the math on building my motor and i think it will be around 13-14k including harness, computer and dry sump. All new parts. Getting to 8k prm cost money. Im shooting for a flat hp and tq curve passed 7.5k rpm and 500hp. It should be reliable as they r making these high rpm destroked motors over 800hp and they r staying together.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Its the California influence, the wall needed to be between OR and Cali.
Yeah, but, you can actually build and drive an LS3 swapped car LEGALLY in CA when using an E-Rod and getting it CARB certified at a referee station. According to the previous post regarding OR's new laws, that doesn't sound possible in certain situations. That's really disappointing.

Mike
Old 07-02-2019, 05:56 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Anyone who has done this...aside form installing the engine and getting that running...what happens with all the electronics..instruments..a/c heat...etc.
What is the exhaust system .. headers? Mufflers?
I've a friend who is really good at this kind of stuff, he did a Chev Jag XJ6 for me a few years ago,...he's not working right now...he'd probably be up for a project.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:49 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
Anyone who has done this...aside form installing the engine and getting that running...what happens with all the electronics..instruments..a/c heat...etc.
What is the exhaust system .. headers? Mufflers?
I've a friend who is really good at this kind of stuff, he did a Chev Jag XJ6 for me a few years ago,...he's not working right now...he'd probably be up for a project.
Depends on the year. Early cars were not CANBUS and you can piggyback the ECU by mounting the P car sensors in the LS motor and by using a 58x crank signal for the tach. They also have signal conversion boxes to go from 24x to whatever wave signal the tach needs, which is 4 pulses IIRC. Someone may want to double check that number, it's been a couple months since I searched that part. I have an early car so I am piggybacking. I am using a standalone LS engine management system from Holley, the Terminator X.

The other options for CANBUS cars include a k6 emerald ECU that marries the P car computer to the LS computer. You can also use an AEM complete replacement computer that takes the place of both the P car and LS computers in one unit. This might require you to swap the gauges but I'm not sure. The emerald ECU uses the factory P car gauges for these CANBUS systems IIRC. I believe AEM says this is 996T and 997T only but I believe they had something for the n/a carrera crowd too.

k6 emerald http://www.emeraldm3d.com/
AEM https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...e-996-turbo-mt
Holley Terminator X https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../terminator_x/

Stuttgart Muscle has a ton of tech on the hardware side but I don't really agree with the hardware he uses for the cooling system. My system will get -16 or -20 AN fittings throughout.
https://stuttgartmuscle.com/

Last edited by gtxracer; 07-02-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Just realized I only answered part of your questions...

A/C is simple for the early cars, it's a one wire hookup IIRC, use the GM mini pump and conversion fittings or lines. Not hard for a AC shop to do.

Power steering, lots of options. Use none if you don't feel you need it. Some people use MR2 setups and some people use the GT3 setup.

Heat is controlled the same way, just run the coolant lines through the new LS water pump and adapt the hoses.

Exhaust isn't that bad, plenty of options there too. Some people just run block hugger heads, others use factory manifolds. I designed a set of 180 degree headers for a more exotic sound. There are quite a few guys that have done crossover setups. Mufflers are easy too, get smaller ones that fit in the new space or make the originals work.

Cooling fans are usually controlled by the CANBUS computer on later cars and either computer desired on the earlier cars. Just need accurate temp readings and you'll be fine with either one.

There are people with working cruise control, AC, steering, etc. with build threads on LS1tech. One thing I would mention is that there is no need to cut an access hole above the the new LS like many do. You'll have to cut some of the lower support out under the "trunk" but that's it.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:44 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

You don't happen to have a link to using the Emerald to run the porsche side of the car do you?
My google fu seems to be weak on finding info on it.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
You don't happen to have a link to using the Emerald to run the porsche side of the car do you?
My google fu seems to be weak on finding info on it.
All of that info is on the FB group "Swapped Porsche" but I believe it's done through a private party also. There's quite a few guys that do these swaps full time.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:25 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by kondata17
I have an Ls2 in mine. I would personally stay away form Renegade. If I had to do it again, I would buy everything from Andrew (Stuttgart Muscle). Things like engine mount plate/mounts, gas pedal adapter and harness for the C7 pedal, clutch flywheel and trans adapter (although that I would get from Kennedy Engineering personally). Everything else is off the shelf, wire harness, headers, starter and manifold all fit. Exhaust you're left with a custom fab job no matter what. Hope that helps.
In your opinion what would be the benefit of the Kennedy adapter vs Stuttgart?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:18 AM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
In your opinion what would be the benefit of the Kennedy adapter vs Stuttgart?
I dont believe there is a benefit going one way or the other other than lead time and price (if you can find one cheaper and quicker). Otherwise, the Kennedy flywheel is huge and strange looking while the SM looks a bit more traditional (but I havent used it so no experience with it). Andrew, the guy that started SM, is a smart guy and very active with these swaps. I would trust him just as much as Kennedy. Initially, I didnt know if his Adapter cleared the sway bar, but now that we confirmed it does, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:32 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by kondata17
I dont believe there is a benefit going one way or the other other than lead time and price (if you can find one cheaper and quicker). Otherwise, the Kennedy flywheel is huge and strange looking while the SM looks a bit more traditional (but I havent used it so no experience with it). Andrew, the guy that started SM, is a smart guy and very active with these swaps. I would trust him just as much as Kennedy. Initially, I didnt know if his Adapter cleared the sway bar, but now that we confirmed it does, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
I spoke with Andrew, and I like the goods.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 PM
nickdee62
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a Porsche cause I wanted a Porsche. Ill do whatever it takes to keep mine pure The options out there are impressive... but, they're just not for me.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdee62
I bought a Porsche cause I wanted a Porsche. Ill do whatever it takes to keep mine pure The options out there are impressive... but, they're just not for me.
Ahh, Ship of Theseus argument (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus).

I have to agree that replacement of the heart or the car could certainly impact its soul. I like them both, both don’t blame you one bit. If it only had a Mezger engine...
Old 07-10-2019, 08:26 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

I don't think OP or anyone else asked about others opinions. I think we all know most P car owners are purists and don't like these swaps. This thread is dedicated to those swaps and questions about them so let's keep it that way. I think there's been plenty of arguing on that subject in a more chit chat related forum so no need to start it up here.

Coyote swapped Cayman, same car featured on Smoking Tire. Just another fun swap for the M96 P car variants to alleviate the dreaded IMS or oiling failures and high price tags of replacements that are doomed anyway.

The following 4 users liked this post by gtxracer:
cdk4219 (07-10-2019), dcdrechsel (07-10-2019), escimo (07-10-2019), Kiko Alexandrov (07-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done an LS3 swap on here?