Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which video playback option do you prefer?
Streaming Rental/Ownership - Amazon Prime
47.62%
Streaming Rental/Ownership - YouTube
26.98%
Streaming Rental/Ownership - Vimeo
1.59%
DVD-video discs (sold at various retailers)
11.11%
BluRay HD video discs (sold at various retailers)
12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Flat 6 Innovations M96/M97 Rebuild Video Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts
Default Flat 6 Innovations M96/M97 Rebuild Video Series

Bobby here, coming to you from the Flat 6 Innovations team and we’re interested in hearing from you. I am a new member of the team, adding my talents on The Knowledge Gruppe side of the house, where I act as Director of Digital Media. As most of you are aware, Jake Raby holds exclusive Porsche M96/M97 hands-on rebuild classes at his training and research facility. Over the years, many people have sent him messages about producing a M96 video series as an alternative to the hands-on classes. Here is where we need your input. There are many ways to distribute a video series of this nature.

Earlier this year we started the YouTube channel called "Rennvision", which has been an overwhelming success. The resource materials that we have been able to put together, and share on this channel has helped many enthusiasts diagnose their own engine issues, and even carry out repairs themselves. While these free videos will continue to be posted to YouTube, we have finally decided to offer engine rebuild videos for sale. The sales of these videos will help fund the “Rennvision” channel, and the free content that it is able to distribute worldwide.

Once we see which medium is most desired, we will create another poll to see the length/ detail of video(s) you desire, and what you’d be willing to pay for this.

Filming of the assembly video is scheduled to happen over the next two weeks. In this video a “Stocker” 3.6L/ 3.8L M96.03/ M96.05/ M97.01/ M97.21 engine will be assembled from scratch. The engine being used for this video will specifically cover the exact assembly order of all of these engines. A supplemental chapter will be added for all other engines in the M96/ M97 series, completing the coverage for the entirety of both engine families. This means that someone with a 1997 Boxster, or a 1999 996, or any other M96/M97 family engines can take advantage of the video the same.

We will go over preparation of the work area, the components, machining, balancing, and all items associated with the assembly of a stock engine. Extra time will be spent to illustrate camshaft timing, and piston installation, as these are the trickiest portions of engine assembly. The engine will be built up to “long block” form.

If demand is great enough we will produce a teardown/ inspection video, as well as a video to go over the proper way to “dress” the ancillaries to the engine. If the demand for these other two videos is great enough, we can offer a “box set” of all 3 videos once all are completed. These 3 videos would take an engine from the point of being extracted from the car, to being reinstalled as a completely rebuilt beast.

For now, the focus is on the engine assembly video, and that’s what we’d like to hear from you most about in this poll.

Our plan is to release this video on Black Friday, 2019 as a tentative premiere date.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Just for posterity. If I were FSI I'd release it on several platforms... Maybe start with the Amazon/Youtube and then follow up with DVD/BlueRay depending on inquiries... Either way, I think it will be a huge success. The quality of the current productions is very good...
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dporto
Just for posterity. If I were FSI I'd release it on several platforms... Maybe start with the Amazon/Youtube and then follow up with DVD/BlueRay depending on inquiries... Either way, I think it will be a huge success. The quality of the current productions is very good...
Thank you. We are just about to begin shooting the first segments of video this morning.

We will more than likely need to offer this in several formats. Since we do not really sell anything other than engines, having a partner to buy the packages DVD/ Blu-ray’s in bulk, and resell them will be a necessity.

We wanted to avoid that, but it looks like something we will need to deal with.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:10 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I did not, and will not be voting, but here's my take on it. Access to the internet sites is ubiquitous. Anyone can get on anywhere with the right credentials. However - if I am not mistaken, the hosting and distribution costs are wildly disparate. The cost models for Amazon and Vimeo seem to be miles apart. So, all I would care about is price, as the quality of the product remains exactly the same, no matter the distribution method. Since price and costs are not discussed, there is no way to make a quality selection.

Amazon prime(requires membership) maybe $99
YouTube(membership optional) maybe $79
Vimeo(one time membership/full membership) maybe $49 or $39 for full members

?

Anything put on digital media will eventually be hacked, if not in the US, certainly in Bangkok, or India, or China in a matter of days. Bootleg copies will show up within a month on download sites or as physical media from overseas. This has happened to the John Deere, and Kubota, and Case tractor stuff already. Thank you RIAA!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Quaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 42 Posts

The video would be a wonderful resource to have available, but could you also put together a print/manual/guide as well? It could be distributed on Amazon and Apple as an online book. Maybe the purchase of one gets you access to the other.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 642 Posts

Bobby,
For me, the best option offered is Amazon Prime video. I can access the videos for leisure study on any device and on my pad or laptop in the garage for the hands-on work. Plus, no materials, packaging or shipping costs; less reliance on third-party QC. Few to zero platform compatibility issues. However FSI decides to proceed, I’m looking forward to the release.
Mike
The following users liked this post:
Doug996InKC (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I did not, and will not be voting, but here's my take on it. Access to the internet sites is ubiquitous. Anyone can get on anywhere with the right credentials. However - if I am not mistaken, the hosting and distribution costs are wildly disparate. The cost models for Amazon and Vimeo seem to be miles apart. So, all I would care about is price, as the quality of the product remains exactly the same, no matter the distribution method. Since price and costs are not discussed, there is no way to make a quality selection.

Amazon prime(requires membership) maybe $99
YouTube(membership optional) maybe $79
Vimeo(one time membership/full membership) maybe $49 or $39 for full members

?

Anything put on digital media will eventually be hacked, if not in the US, certainly in Bangkok, or India, or China in a matter of days. Bootleg copies will show up within a month on download sites or as physical media from overseas. This has happened to the John Deere, and Kubota, and Case tractor stuff already. Thank you RIAA!
I agree.

I love the idea and would definitely enjoy the videos and content.

Mike
Old 06-24-2019, 02:12 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

My personal opinion is anyone who is interested in the content will be interested in buying it no matter what media it is on. The audience is small. It's not like you're marketing a drifting video where the audience is bigger and their interest in buying can be swayed based on how they can buy the content.

The people interested in 996s are more likely an older group. We tend to still view forums over Facebook groups, etc. Potential buyers of the M96/M97 engines either will want the content or not.

I personally like DVD format because I no longer buy from Amazon (personal and political reasons) I dont have an Amazon membership and have literally bought less than 10 things from Amazon in my life. I'm definitely in the minority though.

I hope you're able to bring this content to us!!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quaz
The video would be a wonderful resource to have available, but could you also put together a print/manual/guide as well? It could be distributed on Amazon and Apple as an online book. Maybe the purchase of one gets you access to the other.
Jake here.
Ive been working on this resource for 6 years now. It is very far along, but has more work to be done. I lost my graphic layout guy to another project, so if anyone is in that field, I’d consider employing them to get this finished up.

We are shooting the crankshaft carrier assembly portion of the video now.. its coming along nicely!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:54 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Jake here.
Ive been working on this resource for 6 years now. It is very far along, but has more work to be done. I lost my graphic layout guy to another project, so if anyone is in that field, I’d consider employing them to get this finished up.

We are shooting the crankshaft carrier assembly portion of the video now.. its coming along nicely!
CRAP! I have trouble staying inside the lines with crayons...so I'm out.

Six years! That is dedication. Patiently waiting for the finished product.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 PM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Put me down for the DVD media. I can add it to my library that starts with the 356 series of cars. I like the physical media.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:00 PM
Looneybin
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I’d purchase the box set DVD in a heartbeat
Old 06-26-2019, 02:27 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

I would just assume that as previously mentioned, once out of the box,, you cant put it back,
I suspect your sustainable price on the video is < 50 bucks,, or at least will be a balance,
too high and its pirate-able too low you cant afford to produce it.. I suspect the hard media
is more desirable, at least for me,, I'd likely be playing it on a laptop when sorting out what
I thought I should do next.. Would make a fantastic companion to the Bently manual.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Looneybin
I’d purchase the box set DVD in a heartbeat
Same here.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM
MajicB
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't imagine ever taking this on (but who knows?) but will purchase to support Flat6/Rennvision. Can't put a price on what I have learned already.

What I would really like to see is a Flat6 vid on step-by-step process "for idiots" for dropping/re-installing engine for routine service - maybe those steps are included in this production?

(voted Amazon btw - don't have much use for hard media anymore)

Quick Reply: Flat 6 Innovations M96/M97 Rebuild Video Series