Sponsored by:

PPI results: please comment

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:21 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Lol, I think he has to go through West Virginia too> "Deliverance" country!

I see no reason not to, make sure they use Porsche parts and not after market, pay for a plug change too. Get AAA and hit the road!
With any luck I'll be buying a plane ticket tomorrow.

If this happens, I'll be asking for route suggestions. I've never driven through that part of the country (West Virginia, southern Ohio).
Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeh
The dealership says they will replace the AOS at their expense.

So, that would be taken care of in VA, then I would drive the car home to have the clutch/IMS/DMS done.

Any reason not to proceed?
Buy it, drive it, love it! I personally agree on the non-aero kit preference.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:51 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

If this happens, I'll be asking for route suggestions. I've never driven through that part of the country (West Virginia, southern Ohio).
I suggest you start mapping routes, hotels and restaurants etc. Find out if any of us (not me) will be near by (state to state) in case you need help. Get the car, eat a big meal then go to Walmart and get cooler stocked up for a road trip! This should be a fun trip...Keep us posted.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:54 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

With the AOS replaced and the shop’s other comments on wear items... go for it and enjoy the drive. As for route advice, just steer clear of Cletus.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:18 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Dobolina
But do sellers agree to dropping oil pans and cutting open filters? To start wrenching on a car seems invasive. And on top of the costs for doing the PPI, you are then paying for the work plus a new oil filter and new oil. Cheaper than buying a 911 with a failed bearing, of course, but still I'm not sure how many PPIs really go that far,
The only one I bought, I insisted. The filter is a wear-use item. Oil pan R&R is a common procedure, and if the seller says it's too invasive, well so be it. Next.

I've seen soooooo many threads that start out; 'Well, I just bought this car, and it has a ticking sound. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?' When I sold my car, I offered to pull the pan and have it looked at. I even brought a tube of the sealant to replace. The buyer felt that my willingness(including the pan sealant) to drop the pan was good enough for him, and we just cut in the filter. He was happy as I already had the IMSB replaced.

I don't care if few, or none of the PPIs go that far. I did, and I'm glad for it.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:26 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
the ims on a 99 i wouldn't be to worried, but i to would address the aos, if you get stuck in some hickville little town you could be there for days with Cletus and his wife / sister lol

no offense to anyone named Cletus
Car is a 2003, so single row. Low mileage + single row + long distance drive + moderate cold climate(not MN cold, but not AZ warm either) history.

There's some risk here. Price is no bargain, but if the rest of the car checks out, it may be a fair price. AOS leakage is no surprise either. Get the over-rev info. See if they will give a month/3000 mile used car power train warranty(if it is a Porsche or high end dealer). Ask for it anyway.

Signed
Cletus. (lolz)
Old 05-31-2019, 01:02 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 140 Posts

Take pictures along the way. If possible try to run Ohio 26 out of Marietta. One of the best roads in the USA (IMHO). Please update us!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:15 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Just found this thread.

Since the dealership is fixing the AOS I would also pay to have them do plugs at this time "while they're in there".

If its in/near DC, theres a shop called Performance Autosport that does fantastic Porsche work. I've been meaning to take mine down there for them to give it a once over.

Unlike you, I bought mine without any history or a PPI and i've been picking up the pieces ever since but its been very rewarding so far.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:31 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Originally Posted by DGI
Just found this thread.

Since the dealership is fixing the AOS I would also pay to have them do plugs at this time "while they're in there".

If its in/near DC, theres a shop called Performance Autosport that does fantastic Porsche work. I've been meaning to take mine down there for them to give it a once over.

Unlike you, I bought mine without any history or a PPI and i've been picking up the pieces ever since but its been very rewarding so far.
The place that did the PPI, and I assume will be replacing the AOS, is Loudoun County Exotics:

https://www.locoexotics.com/
Old 05-31-2019, 08:55 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Default over rev data

Here is the message I received from the tech that did the PPI when I asked for over rev data:

I have checked again with both my scanners, neither read over rev data on this car. I have read it on many other Porsches. But its not listed for this car.

I've asked for clarification...anybody care to interpret that comment? Could it just be missing?

Received clarification:

I don’t have a factory Porsche tester so we cant pull the engineering data. On some of these it’s a status you can read through status request. This one is not so I cannot see it.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:17 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Take pictures along the way. If possible try to run Ohio 26 out of Marietta. One of the best roads in the USA (IMHO). Please update us!

Went to Marietta College in the late 60s early 70s. Had a 1960 Bug-Eye Sprite that I drove on Rte. 26 numerous times many years ago. Highly recommend your suggestion. OP I think you have done your due diligence regarding your Porsche purchase, have fun driving it home and share your story.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:33 AM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't really have any suggestions since I've only done it once but I picked up a car and drove through Ohio/West Virginia as part of a 750 mile trip home. WV was strikingly beautiful.

I let Waze direct my route and I ended up on some backroads (I'm guessing to get me around some traffic) and found myself on some curvy roads with absolutely no other traffic. It was like a dream. I didn't push it too hard because I was still getting a feel for the car but I would definitely call it spiritied. Said it before on here but it was about a 10 hour drive and one of the best solo trips I've ever done.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:48 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
If this is the extent of the report, the car is either in amazing shape or the mechanic didn't really do anything I'd consider overwhelmingly useful for a 996 PPI.

"The oil pan showed no evidence of being recently dropped. It was clean and free of any debris" - stuff like that is what I'd like to see on a PPI report. Anything less I can just do myself with a Durametric, a mirror, and an hour...
Judging by the "report" i'd say that "ppi" is totally inadequate. How much did you pay? If it's any more than $250 you got ripped off... If it was $250 or less, you got what you paid for. Caveat Emptor...
Old 05-31-2019, 10:20 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Originally Posted by dporto
Judging by the "report" i'd say that "ppi" is totally inadequate. How much did you pay? If it's any more than $250 you got ripped off... If it was $250 or less, you got what you paid for. Caveat Emptor...
Price was $200
Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Default can't get over rev data

So, the dealership doesn't have a durametric reader, which means no over-rev data.

I assume that's not a deal breaker...thoughts?

Quick Reply: PPI results: please comment