PPI results: please comment

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:34 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeh
Here is how the PPI was initially described to me:

we test drive the vehicle , we go through all features and functions of the car. Hook up a scanner to check the fault memories of all control modules to see if any thing is stored. We put the vehicle on a lift and fully inspect the suspension, chassis, fuel system and drive train for any leaks, damage wear and tear and anything out of character . we check brakes and tires for wear and tear and evaluate life.

I get the impression the tech knows these cars pretty well, but it's obviously not at the CPO level.
Thats great, but did they report back their findings? What % is the alternator currently charging at? What mill thickness are all four rotors? Compression check of the cooling system for leaks pass the test. Not being difficult, this is the data you paid for with a PPI on the cheap side. Pay more and get the cylinders scoped for boring and drop the oil pan to investigate further the overall health of the motor. You only get one chance to obtain this data before buying. After, and it’s gonna cost $$$ to make right. I did at least know a clutch was needed and got $2500 knocked offf the purchase price because of it and a few other repairs that were needed. Good luck, I do hope it all works out as these are fantastic cars for what they sell for. But they can be a handful to own if ya get a needy one.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:39 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
Thats great, but did they report back their findings? What % is the alternator currently charging at? What mill thickness are all four rotors? Compression check of the cooling system for leaks pass the test. Not being difficult, this is the data you paid for with a PPI on the cheap side. Pay more and get the cylinders scoped for boring and drop the oil pan to investigate further the overall health of the motor. You only get one chance to obtain this data before buying. After, and it’s gonna cost $$$ to make right. I did at least know a clutch was needed and got $2500 knocked offf the purchase price because of it and a few other repairs that were needed. Good luck, I do hope it all works out as these are fantastic cars for what they sell for. But they can be a handful to own if ya get a needy one.
The most important things to look at weren't done or requested to be done...I doubt they'll want to go back out to do more PPI inspecting unless it was done by the selling dealership?

Did they even check for over-revs?
Old 05-30-2019, 05:46 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
The most important things to look at weren't done or requested to be done...I doubt they'll want to go back out to do more PPI inspecting unless it was done by the selling dealership?

Did they even check for over-revs?
Assuming that would show up as a code on the computer, yes they did.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:00 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

No it wouldn't.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:41 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Over-rev report is part of the DME dump, wouldn't show up on a simple code scanner. This can be read with PIWIS, Durametric, or other Porsche diagnostic tool. Certain other generic scanners (like the Foxwell, I believe,) can read the DME data as well...

Long story short - it's usually included, and if it wasn't, should be something you can request for free. Ideally it would look like this:

Range 1: XX (some number.)

Range 2: 0

You don't want any Range 2.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If you didn't see the explicit words: "over-rev range 1, range 2" it didn't get checked

<edited to correct the syntax>
Old 05-30-2019, 07:07 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Further info from the tech that did the PPI:

No debris in the oil filter.
The air oil separator should be replaced yes it could cause a Check engine light eventually (it wont leave you on the side of the road )
The brakes and tires are in good condition and do not need replacement. 8/32 is basically a brand new tire. They are date coded 2018 ( they are Sumitomo a cheaper tire ) I believe they have been sitting a little bit slight vibration at highway speeds.
The car drives well no issues.
There is no leak from the Rear main seal.

I will ask the dealership if they can give me overrev data. Thanks everybody!
Old 05-30-2019, 07:12 PM
mrfeh
Racer

So, any other opinions about the AOS? The tech that did the PPI seems to indicate it's not something that would prevent me from driving the car home.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:23 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Trust me, you don't want to be on a 1000 mile road trip when it lets go!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

It's not something that would prevent you from driving the car home - however - trust us when we say you don't want to dig your way out of a blown AOS while in the middle of nowhere. If the AOS is already exhibiting signs of failure then it's kind of a no brainer to me...
Old 05-30-2019, 08:46 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 186 Posts

I would have a 1000 mile trip home w/ the car - can it be driven in this condition, or would I need to have it fixed near the dealership first?
I personally would be paranoid on the 1000 miles home with a failing aos and original imsb. Wouldn't be fun at all.

That's why I shipped mine home and had imsb, aos and clutch done by my local shop in case I needed to use any warranty on the parts and service.

Hope it works out!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:00 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

the ims on a 99 i wouldn't be to worried, but i to would address the aos, if you get stuck in some hickville little town you could be there for days with Cletus and his wife / sister lol

no offense to anyone named Cletus
Old 05-30-2019, 09:30 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Default update

The dealership says they will replace the AOS at their expense.

So, that would be taken care of in VA, then I would drive the car home to have the clutch/IMS/DMS done.

Any reason not to proceed?
Old 05-30-2019, 09:35 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tekkie
the ims on a 99 i wouldn't be to worried, but i to would address the aos, if you get stuck in some hickville little town you could be there for days with Cletus and his wife / sister lol

no offense to anyone named Cletus
Lol, I think he has to go through West Virginia too> "Deliverance" country!

I see no reason not to, make sure they use Porsche parts and not after market, pay for a plug change too. Get AAA and hit the road!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:40 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The dealership says they will replace the AOS at their expense.

So, that would be taken care of in VA, then I would drive the car home to have the clutch/IMS/DMS done.

Any reason not to proceed?
not from my perspective, just make sure they use oem and not some cheap aftermarket one

Quick Reply: PPI results: please comment