Sponsored by:

more than one type of IMS replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:26 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
At this point, with the time, effort, and cost involved in remediation, you might as well go with the type and quality of bearing that Porsche should have used at the start. A plain (babbit style) bearing, which is lubricated by clean, cooled oil. This type of bearing has been used for a long, long time with excellent wear and load characteristics. a properly designed, installed and lubricated plain bearing has a lower coef of friction than any ball or roller bearing. This means less heat, and less mechanical vibration, less drag, and less installed parts to potentially fail. Even a minor defect in one of the ***** of the dual row bearing will eventually ruin the race, and then the other *****, and then the other race, and so on to complete failure. The fractional increase in cost of the lubricated plain bearing fix is a worthy upgrade over all other fixes. The trans will be out, the time and effort to get in there, and resolve this sort of defines the correct fix one time.
You are describing something like this, correct?:

http://theimssolution.com/
Old 05-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeh
Thanks for the clarification.

I realize that many of you know this stuff like the back of your hand, but for anybody that hasn't spent hours on research, it's all a little opaque. Having a FAQ on this issue that lists the options, their physical attributes and the pros/cons of each would be really helpful.

The existing thread mentioned upstream, while useful, is hardly concise.
One can Google "ball bearing" then "roller bearing" then "plain bearing" and end up with the differences in a few minutes. There's even images for those who don't understand technical terms.

See, the copy cats use the terms to make it appear as if what they have is like everything else that is held in higher regard than what they've imitated. That's the only angle they have. Its the only target they have other than the "fresh meat" that just bought a car, and buys the cheapest thing they can find to "fix" a problem they never knew existed.

This is the same way that the imitators try to use the word "solution" to describe their offering. "IMS Solution" is capitalized, because it is the actual name of a product. The imitators always target the originator, the people that did it first, did it best, and originated the whole thing. The people that answered the call first, developed the procedure, and invented tools, and procedures to actually perform the retrofit. If you Google "IMS Solution" you'll see that these imitators have worked hard with SEO and Google Adwords to spend money to try and nab the unknowing that are looking for a Solution to the problem.

I see that a Rennvision video on the topic of different bearing designs is necessary to help keep people from being tricked. I also see that its time we do a video on the true history of this development scenario, to help people understand how things have changed over the years. There's a lot more to all of this than any of you know, or would know, unless you were under the roof here at F6, or at LN during that period. The one and only person who inspired Charles and I to do what we have done was Bruce Anderson, and if you don't know who he was, well, you are likely not a very well educated Porsche enthusiast.

If you go back to the time around 2005-2008 you'll see that these posts were much different. They were more like "I have an IMS bearing failing, or something like that. The dealer says the bearing is impossible to change, and Porsche doesn't sell them, so I need a new engine."
It was during those days that our challenges were real, and it took 12 bucks worth of parts from a local hardware store, some junk in my scrap pile, and a Bridgeport milling machine that was originally used to build parts for WW2 B-24s to change it all. You don't see those questions about the 1997-mid 2005 bearings being impossible to replace anymore, and there's one reason why.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:50 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

You are describing something like this, correct?:

http://theimssolution.com/
Yes.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:24 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the clarification.

I realize that many of you know this stuff like the back of your hand, but for anybody that hasn't spent hours on research, it's all a little opaque. Having a FAQ on this issue that lists the options, their physical attributes and the pros/cons of each would be really helpful.

The existing thread mentioned upstream, while useful, is hardly concise.
Allow me to start; please inform me of mistakes/clarifications and other entries to be added:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 05-30-2019, 12:25 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Just get the IMS Solution installed and enjoy your car. It's the first thing I did when I bought my 996 and I just shake my head whenever I see people debating whether or not its worth it. I could write an essay listing all of the reasons why it would be foolish to choose anything else at this point, but I'm too busy enjoying driving my car with 0 concern or worry about the IMS bearing because I know that mine is going to outlast every other part on the vehicle.

EDIT: Please don't take this personally, but your spreadsheet is a waste of time. The problem anyone new to the topic has, is that when you start doing research you're including TONS of outdated information about products that were developed, evaluated, and used, prior to the release of the IMS Solution. Jake Raby and LN Engineering have SOLVED the IMS bearing issue for 996 engines. ITS OVER. DONE. There is now a bulletproof bearing available that puts the issue to rest once and for all. The sooner everyone gets it through their heads the sooner the demand and sale price of these cars will get more in line with their actual values.

By the way, if the results and recommendations of other owners isn't enough to convince you - take a moment and just consider that the inventors/manufacturers of the product we're recommending are taking the time to respond to your concerns and answer questions that have already been asked and answered a thousand times. This isn't the LN Engineering and Flat 6 support page, these guys proactively provide their expertise and insights. To me, that carries a lot of weight and warrants respect - and when it comes time to choose what company to buy from, it makes it an easy choice.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:01 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Charlieaf92, the one thing I would add to your statement above is that the LN Solution probably isn't a practical or cost effective upgrade for people with the large single row bearing engines. Splitting the cases is major work, and costly if you pay someone to do it (few of us here are qualified to do that kind of work ourselves, with exceptions of course). I have a newer AT engine that requires the cases to be split, and when I contacted LN tech support they recommended that the most I should do is remove the outer grease seal if I'm in there for some other reason.

I guess I'd also add that the LN Retrofit is a good option if you aren't flush with cash. The Solution, while awesome, is costly.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Charlieaf92, the one thing I would add to your statement above is that the LN Solution probably isn't a practical or cost effective upgrade for people with the large single row bearing engines. Splitting the cases is major work, and costly if you pay someone to do it (few of us here are qualified to do that kind of work ourselves, with exceptions of course). I have a newer AT engine that requires the cases to be split, and when I contacted LN tech support they recommended that the most I should do is remove the outer grease seal if I'm in there for some other reason.

I guess I'd also add that the LN Retrofit is a good option if you aren't flush with cash. The Solution, while awesome, is costly.
Ditto!
Old 05-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 938 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
take a moment and just consider that the inventors/manufacturers of the product we're recommending are taking the time to respond to your concerns and answer questions that have already been asked and answered a thousand times. This isn't the LN Engineering and Flat 6 support page, these guys proactively provide their expertise and insights.

This can't get more bold..
Old 05-30-2019, 02:34 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911

Agreed, splitting the case doesn't sound like a lot of fun. But, I don't agree that the retrofit is a good option to save money, I believe the IMS Solution is about $1k more? If you're going to do it, do it right the first time. The problem with the retrofit is that it has a service interval, so you or the next owner is going to have to pay to have it done again - and now its cost more than the IMS Solution. And, just to clarify, I'm not knocking anyone that chose to go the retrofit route. A few years ago the IMS Solution was pretty new and a bit of an unknown, and I'm sure lots of folks decided to stick with something that had been proven in the market and reliable vs. trying something different. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that after years of real world application, its pretty clear the the IMS Solution is the way to go and I don't think it makes sense financially (or from a risk standpoint) to consider any other products.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:09 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I believe we all need to take a little break and stand up. Stand up children... stand up now. We're all in this class together.

We are one people!

Let's join hands and sing...

Old 05-30-2019, 03:36 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Agreed, splitting the case doesn't sound like a lot of fun. But, I don't agree that the retrofit is a good option to save money, I believe the IMS Solution is about $1k more? If you're going to do it, do it right the first time. The problem with the retrofit is that it has a service interval, so you or the next owner is going to have to pay to have it done again - and now its cost more than the IMS Solution. And, just to clarify, I'm not knocking anyone that chose to go the retrofit route. A few years ago the IMS Solution was pretty new and a bit of an unknown, and I'm sure lots of folks decided to stick with something that had been proven in the market and reliable vs. trying something different. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that after years of real world application, its pretty clear the the IMS Solution is the way to go and I don't think it makes sense financially (or from a risk standpoint) to consider any other products.
I agree 100%
And if I was shopping for a 996 and see the IMSB SOLUTION" installed (by a certified shop), I would sleep like a baby!
Old 05-30-2019, 03:39 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I agree 100% I would sleep like a baby!
Supposed to be standing up joining hands and singing River of Jordan! (facepalm)
Old 05-30-2019, 04:14 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Well, I guess I won't be "sleeping like a baby" there is an L&N sticker on my drivers door, it was done 5 years ago, (but only 2000 miles!) so it was not the latest of the replacements....I am going to do it
again soon...but which?
Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dak911
Well, I guess I won't be "sleeping like a baby" there is an L&N sticker on my drivers door, it was done 5 years ago, (but only 2000 miles!) so it was not the latest of the replacements....I am going to do it
again soon...but which?
If the Solution was installed originally you wouldn't be doing it again, that the route I'd take...
Old 05-30-2019, 05:44 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I totally see where you are coming from.

In my case, I'm not keeping the car ('00) and just wanted it done so the next person doesn't sweat it. Besides, I can install two, maybe three Retrofits before I get to the cost of the Solution, parts wise (and my labor is free, except opportunity cost).

I guess my point is that it is hard to speak in absolutes, but what you say makes sense for most people.

Quick Reply: more than one type of IMS replacement?