996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

more than one type of IMS replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 11:53 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default more than one type of IMS replacement?

I'll hopefully be buying a 996 very soon, and I'll want to replace the IMS bearing.

Is there more than one vendor/solution? Difference in cost and/or effectiveness?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:59 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh man you have opened a can of worms. There is 20 years of information on this topic available online, and a near-infinite number of opinions. Get ready!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Google it...The IMSB topic has been beaten to death over the years!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:07 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

OMG...start here and read everything https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...his-first.html
Old 05-29-2019, 12:49 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeh
Is there more than one vendor/solution?

Thanks.
There is only one "solution" and that's The IMS Solution manufactured by LN Engineering. Check out theimssolution.com This puts the Carreras on par with the Mezger engines. The bearing will last the lifetime of the engine and I've heard of people moving the IMS Solution bearing over to a newer engine.

The IMS Solution is not cheap, but worth every penny. It really boils down to your budget. LN Engineering has less expensive options, but the bearings will have a service interval.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:06 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

"This puts the Carreras on par with the Mezger engines."

Nutty indeed! ^^^ Uh... Not really...it only put the IMSB on a par with the Mezger...the IMS(B) is only one of the many differences that make the Mezger engine (as in the GT3) far superior to the NA M96. One other major difference being the Nikasil coated cylinder bores. There are many others as well, that both create far more power and increase reliability/longevity of the Mezger design used in the GT3 and the Turbo's (as well as GT2). This is not to say "The Solution" is not a great upgrade for the M96 platform - it is...Just that it doesn't make a M96 on a par with a Mezger (except for the IMSB)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:22 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
There is only one "solution" and that's The IMS Solution manufactured by LN Engineering. Check out theimssolution.com This puts the Carreras on par with the Mezger engines. The bearing will last the lifetime of the engine and I've heard of people moving the IMS Solution bearing over to a newer engine.

The IMS Solution is not cheap, but worth every penny. It really boils down to your budget. LN Engineering has less expensive options, but the bearings will have a service interval.
As always... NuttyProffessor/Embassador of LN

It is good that you like the IMS Solution by LN, but please, don't give misinformation to people . There are more than one solution out there. DOF from TuneRS is another one, without going outside of US
Old 05-29-2019, 02:29 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

So, after dong some reading, it seems like these are the options (please let me know if there are others):
  1. Pelican Parts makes a replacement that doesn't seem to improve on the flawed design
  2. LN Engineering makes the "Retrofit", which uses ceramic bearings and is much better than the original, but is still a sealed bearing
  3. LN Engineering makes the "Solution", which uses roller bearing which are oiled w/ engine oil

Just looking for confirmation that I understand the situation.

I assume most people here, when they address their IMS, get the LNE Retrofit?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

"There are more than one solution out there. DOF from TuneRS is another one, without going outside of US"

Actually there is only one "IMS Solution"... and it's patented (it's also a plain bearing - as used in the early air cooled cars as well as the Mezger designed water cooled turbos etc.). The DOF from Tune RS is just an oil feed for the existing ball or roller bearing. I won't go into all the intracies of this but suffice it to say there are many (both good and bad)...
Old 05-29-2019, 02:45 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

So, after dong some reading, it seems like these are the options (please let me know if there are others):
  1. Pelican Parts makes a replacement that doesn't seem to improve on the flawed design
  2. LN Engineering makes the "Retrofit", which uses ceramic bearings and is much better than the original, but is still a sealed bearing
  3. LN Engineering makes the "Solution", which uses roller bearing which are oiled w/ engine oil

Yes, other options - Get a 98 or 99 model year. Original Dual Row IMSB. Change oil frequently and don't worry about it. Get the LN spin on oil filter adapter and magnetic drain plug.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

That's a start, but it is incomplete. The PO needs to read the FAQ thread and not expect it to be spoon fed. This is well documented stuff, not something esoteric or obscure.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:13 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
"There are more than one solution out there. DOF from TuneRS is another one, without going outside of US"

Actually there is only one "IMS Solution"... and it's patented (it's also a plain bearing - as used in the early air cooled cars as well as the Mezger designed water cooled turbos etc.). The DOF from Tune RS is just an oil feed for the existing ball or roller bearing. I won't go into all the intracies of this but suffice it to say there are many (both good and bad)...
Well, thats a commercial name. If we are accurate, there are several manufacturer that claim to have a solution to the IMS "problem" (also outside US). Letting aside the old discussion about if the IMS is really a problem for all engines or only for those affected, LN claims to have a solution called "IMS Solution" and TuneRS claims to have another solution called "Direct Oil Feed".
Different technical approaches, for the same "problem" but both claim to be a definitive solution. We can discuss which technical approach each like more (I kind of prefer keeping the Porsche design bearing), but further than that I don't see why I we should give more credit to one solution than other (so far, the results are quite similar)
Old 05-29-2019, 04:14 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dporto
"This puts the Carreras on par with the Mezger engines."

Nutty indeed! ^^^ Uh... Not really...it only put the IMSB on a par with the Mezger...the IMS(B) is only one of the many differences that make the Mezger engine (as in the GT3) far superior to the NA M96. One other major difference being the Nikasil coated cylinder bores. There are many others as well, that both create far more power and increase reliability/longevity of the Mezger design used in the GT3 and the Turbo's (as well as GT2). This is not to say "The Solution" is not a great upgrade for the M96 platform - it is...Just that it doesn't make a M96 on a par with a Mezger (except for the IMSB)
Obviously, the topic of this thread is about IMS bearings and that's what I was referring to. Of course, I'm not that out-of-touch to think the performance of 31 failure mode M96/M97 engines are going to be on the performance level of the Mezger Turbo, GT2, or GT3. Gimme a little credit, pweeeese! I was speaking of the plain bearing design of the IMS Solution.

Last edited by NuttyProfessor; 05-29-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:23 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by parris
As always... NuttyProffessor/Embassador of LN
Great! I always wanted to be royalty. My first appointment is to name you my personal protologist. Scratch n' sniff Doc Parris!

It is good that you like the IMS Solution by LN, but please, don't give misinformation to people . There are more than one solution out there. DOF from TuneRS is another one, without going outside of US
As in my post to Dporto, I meant the darn plain bearing in relation to the Mezgers! And no, Neither TunerRS DOF or the "EPS solution" are real solutions in my book. Just copy cats.

But if you want them, more power to you. Can you say, "BOOOM SHAKA LACCA BOOOM!!!"???
Old 05-29-2019, 04:26 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Why I we should give more credit to one solution than other (so far, the results are quite similar)
Oh really? Please indulge us with your academic aptitude. Please give us the results. I love quantitative anaylsis.

Quick Reply: more than one type of IMS replacement?