996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

low oil pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 09:54 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 709 Posts

Huh??? Well, whatever.....one cannot measure engine oil pressure at the oil filler cap.
This is the quote from the other thread:
Alright, so- we ran through the basic mechanical stuff because it was ~quick. Then we gave up and decided to check the oil pressure. To do this, I ordered a spare oil filter cap/lid, and drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT hole in the old one. Not a bad trick if anyone else out there needs to check their pressure without tearing everything apart. - That'll be saved in my bin of "special tools".
Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Interesting. Worth a discussion. I wonder if Peter got it to work then. Pressure is force exerted in all directions equally in a fluid in a closed system, so you'd think that pressure could be measured anywhere in the system? I'm just brainstorming here.

Lol, now I want to try it just to see if it works.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Huh??? Well, whatever.....one cannot measure engine oil pressure at the oil filler cap......
I know that and that's why I've asked. You should try keeping things in order when replying. You are now quoting a totally different thread.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by jim010
Interesting. Worth a discussion. I wonder if Peter got it to work then. Pressure is force exerted in all directions equally in a fluid in a closed system, so you'd think that pressure could be measured anywhere in the system? I'm just brainstorming here.

Lol, now I want to try it just to see if it works.
As suggested by others, you should check the pressure where the sending unit is.
The following users liked this post:
JohnCA58 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 02:14 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 709 Posts

I got the idea from here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-pressure.html

I like that it would be quick and easy to do this, rather than mess around with the oil sender unit. There a reason it would be bad? An extra cap is nothing to get.
Yes, as I said, from the other thread...the one Jim posted ^^
Old 05-19-2020, 04:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,594 Likes on 997 Posts

Pressure is force exerted in all directions equally in a fluid in a closed system, so you'd think that pressure could be measured anywhere in the system?
That only works when fluids are not moving (static). As soon as the fluid moves, pressure differs everywhere along the path traveled (infinitely).
Old 05-19-2020, 05:24 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
That only works when fluids are not moving (static). As soon as the fluid moves, pressure differs everywhere along the path traveled (infinitely).
Hmm ... I can see that with a gas, as a gas can be compressed, but a liquid is not compressible regardless of movement? I am not trolling, just brainstorming, by the way.

Don't worry, I am measuring form the spot you all say. But I want to try this out just for giggles.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Hmm ... I can see that with a gas, as a gas can be compressed, but a liquid is not compressible regardless of movement? I am not trolling, just brainstorming, by the way.

Don't worry, I am measuring form the spot you all say. But I want to try this out just for giggles.
Yeah but pressure is just resistance to flow, so in a narrow oil galley pressure will be different than when it floods into lets say the oil pan or even in the large pick up tube
Old 05-20-2020, 11:14 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Yeah but pressure is just resistance to flow, so in a narrow oil galley pressure will be different than when it floods into lets say the oil pan or even in the large pick up tube
But resistance to flow is viscosity and not related. Pressure is force over surface area and does not change within a closed system. But if the fluid is separated into different closed systems, then pressure can be different in each system.

Last edited by jim010; 05-20-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:46 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Gas or liquid, same thing. It’s the difference between static pressure and dynamic pressure.

Dynamic pressure is used to calculate forces when a fluid is moving.

Think of a garden hose that’s 10’ long versus one that’s 100’ long attached to the same valve. The 100’ hose will flow slower than the 10’ hose, even if both have the same 50 lbs or pressure coming from the valve because the overall resistance in the 100’ hose will slow the water down. That resistance is force that counteracts pressure forces.

If the hose is long enough, there will be no water coming out the other end of the hose. If that’s hard to believe, try to image a hose that long and the weight of the water in that hose, and tell me if you think you can push it, pick it up, or even move it. The weight is one problem, but the friction is really the major component.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

But resistance to flow is viscosity and not related. Pressure is force over surface area and does not change within a closed system.
Viscosity is the fluid, but there are other forces at play. And you are correct on the above if the fluid is not moving.

Quick Reply: low oil pressure at idle