996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rennline Grill Screens-Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 02:19 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts
Question Rennline Grill Screens-Worth it?

I'm about to have the front bumper on my 03 C4S repainted and tidied up (it's way past time), and have considered buying the Rennline protection grilles for the two side and center cutouts. However, are these things really worth it? At $325 it's not really a huge cost and the paint shop I'm using said they'd install them for me no problem, but looking secondhand and even on my local Facebook group pages, etc. I don't really see these installed all that much and makes me wonder why, if the design is so 'flawed'. I do know the radiators need to be cleaned out but that's different than buying more parts for the car. I probably will keep it another 2-2.5 years, but have had it almost 1.5 years and haven't removed the front bumper to clean anything and don't see any overheating issues, so just curious from first-hand experience on this?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Can't speak much about the Rennline Grills. But will say my experience. I purchased my car in june of 18. Pulled the bumper and it was amazing how much crap was between the rads and condensors. A month ago my rads both started leaking. When i went to replace them it was amazing how much crap was between them again.

Running hot or overheating is almost never the issue. It that the leaves and debris that get lodged in there become acidic and will cause the condensors and rads to leak. Doing anything you can to stop the debris will prolong the life of the parts.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:48 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

The flip side is that the screens reduce air flow. There r quantitative numbers out there. Also, the guys from Flat 6 dont recommend them. I dont really know which way is correct as there is issues with either the grills installed or not.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:53 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
The flip side is that the screens reduce air flow. There r quantitative numbers out there. Also, the guys from Flat 6 dont recommend them. I dont really know which way is correct as there is issues with either the grills installed or not.
I had not thought about that aspect, but you are right. From the Rennline website, they look to be pretty closely spaced to keep most debris out of there...
Old 05-01-2019, 03:44 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Everything Rennline makes is nice, they do great work. I went DIY on my screens and have found them useful.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:57 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I have Rennline screens and like them. Seem to keep the stuff out. Have not experienced any overheating issues, but summer temps here rarely top 100; but i do drive down into the Phoenix inferno on occasion. Car runs normally around 180 degrees (I have the LN thermostat). Have a Flat 6 engine but I didn't talk to them before installing the screens. Probably could be an airflow issue but I didn't want to risk a radiator damage issue. So far no issues.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have them on my 01 C2 and have driven in temps at 100+ w/ no overheating. Does keep trash out.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:42 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I've not found a reason to add them. After reading everybody else's tales of woe with stuff getting packed into the radiators, I use a shop vac every few months to suck out loose leaves that settle in there. People say that's not enough, so I finally took my bumper off after 3 years of ownership, separated the A/C condensers from the radiators, and cleaned it all real good. I say 3 years of ownership since that's all I can personally vouch for, but I'd assume this was the first time it's been thoroughly cleaned going back to 2001. I'd say there was in total about 1/4-1/2 cup of "junk" (dirt, leaves, cigarette butts, a scrap of paper, etc.) lodged into areas that can't be vacuumed out from the front. It was NOT an impressive amount of material, and I don't think cleaning it it out affected the car one bit. I'd estimate less than 5% of the radiator area was "clogged". It was all dry and there's no evidence of rot anywhere. So at least in my case, I'm happy to leave it alone, and I'll schedule my next bumper-off cleaning for about 15 years from now

If you aren't taking the bumper off, and you don't want to spend $300+, I'd leave it alone.
If you're going to be tracking/racing the car, I'd leave it alone as well, for the reasons others have stated that grilles will reduce airflow.
If you drive the car normally so airflow isn't critical, and you're already taking the bumper off for some other reason, and you want to spend a few hundred bucks, I don't think it would hurt anything to put them on there.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey everyone! I just wanted to hop in and address the airflow question. We did some extensive summer track testing with the screens and we were not able to detect a difference in engine temperature. I will also mention that the GT4 and the GT3 come factory with grills screens. They also do a great job at keeping the rubber marbles out of your grills too!
Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

I have them on my AE, like the look a lot

I don't believe mine were ever cleaned in the previous 11 years, looks worse that it actually was
Old 05-03-2019, 02:22 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I like them and think they're a great idea, but way over priced.
On the flip side, if JR say no, I'm going to listen to his advice.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:53 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I don't have them because Jake said to not use them.
If it were not for that fact, I'd have them on my car now.
But taking the bumper off every once in a while is not a difficult task at all.

Quick Reply: Rennline Grill Screens-Worth it?