Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

about to install K40 remote, any advise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 02:37 AM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mal28,

Don't get bummed out about all this bad press on the K40. Before I compared it to the other detectors I really did like the "stealthability" of it. (My V1 with hidden remote is still a royal pain in the a** to hide without some major inventive thinking).

If stealth is your most important factor go for the K40...it can be hidden in many ingenious ways. If performance is key go with the V1 or the 8500 with the remote features. The remotes in the rear view mirror to me can still be seen by motorists behind you. I am sure there are some creative people out there who have taken the "little black box" remotes apart to hide them in very inventive ways. If you can find someone who has done that, it makes the Valentine and Passport much more appealing options. Hiding the antennas (base units) is also not easy (the passenger visor seems to be the most popular location but it still looks like a dorky over-sized garage door opener. There have been descriptions of other places too). There has been a few posts already on this topic.

Maybe you can think up something yourself (and post it!).
Old 02-11-2004, 09:07 AM
NiveK
Racer

if you want it hidden and performance not just something to flash lights every once in a while get the passport srx, it has the best laser diffuser "shifter" out as well as V1 and 8500 type radar detector performance, not to mention it's hidden
Old 02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fully agree with NiveK, SRX is the way to go. Performance + Stealth.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:27 PM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

I would agree with NiveK and C4C_Leon.

I have no experience with the SRX but, with the completely hidden antennas, it is the way to go, especially if it compares in performance to the 8500 or the V1.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

I have both the K40 (from previous owner) and the V1. The K40 is a piece of junk - very unreliable; while the V1 is awesome. The K40 is so bad with false alarms and sometimes not even alerting at all, that it's totally unreliable. Steer clear of the K40. Get the V1; it works everytime and it's a LOT cheaper than the K40.

Quick Reply: about to install K40 remote, any advise?