Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Temporary bumper/headlight protection for track event?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:48 AM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Temporary bumper/headlight protection for track event?

I've got my first track event at a track coming up in a couple of weeks and I am very excited!

I'd like to add something to my car to help protect the bumper, headlights, and even part of the hood if possible. What are my options for temporary protection that I can apply and remove fairly quickly and won't damage my paint?

Obviously a bra comes to mind, but do they flap too much and damage the finish at high track speeds?

What about any special forms of tape or vinyl?

Anything else?

Thanks for your suggestions...

Last edited by longhorn911; 02-11-2004 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Invinca-Shield brand clear film (film made by 3M) protection installed on my Boxster as I wanted protection on the street as well as the track. If you want something temporary I've heard, but haven't tried it myself, that folks that do Open Road Racing events in Nevada like to apply liquid latex to their cars. Here's one source for that product: http://www.liquidlatex.net/pricing/ Other pages on that site might be considered risque, explore further at your own risk.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

You can get 3M painters tape from any hardware store, advertised as easy off. Thats what I've seen used in most tracks I've been too. Ive seen the liquid latex, and it looks like the paint is peeling. I mean, the paint is not peeling, but the latex makes it look that way. I don't know if the tape looks worse then the "peeling" look.

OTOH, Ive always thought these looked dorky. Unless you track very frequently, I don't believe you need any extra protection on the track. In fact, you have a higher chance of stone chips occuring on the street than on the track.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

The Speed Lingerie bra fits very tightly and I've seen them at DEs. They seem to work well, according to the owners I've talked to.

Karl
Old 02-10-2004, 01:12 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

I use painters tape. That's what I always use.
Are you going to the TWS event on March 6th and 7th?
Old 02-10-2004, 02:26 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

An X-Pel 3M kit is going on my car this month. It will give me the coverage I want to protect it from road debris. I don't trust car "bras" as they can mar your paint. Our Audi bra left a line across the hood. Thankfully the car had a 3M kit on it and the line is on the film and not on the paint. Much of the debris that you will get on the track comes from pieces of R-compound tires. Painters' tape is popular, but I would think that you would want to protect your car on the street too.

Enjoy your track time!
Old 02-10-2004, 02:49 PM
JakeMate
Racer

I've used both the tape and the liquid latex. The tape takes forever to apply. Liquid latex is quick and easy. Just roll it on with a three inch roller (2-3 coats). It only looks like its peeling off if you get it wet. Otherwise its on there good. It removes much easier and quicker than tape too.

For the track, unless you're in heavy traffic, you probably don't need it. I use it more for the trip to the track on public roads. I also use it for Open Road Racing where it makes peeling the giant, stinky, Nevada grasshoppers off much easier.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:07 AM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. One other tip I read in another forum is to use the blue 3M painters tape and then overlay Racer's Tape (which is thicker) on top. The 3M won't harm the paint or leave a residue and the Racer's Tape adds additional protection on top. Not bad (other than looks of course) and cheap too...

The liquid latex sounds good too and of course I'd love to get the Xpel/Invicta solutions. The speed lingerie is also a very cool bra. Decisions, decisions...

NickS - I'm going to TWS on Feb 21/22. I didn't know there is another one on March 6/7 - which club is sponsoring it? There is a big LSR sponsored DE at TWS in March, but it is on the 19th thru 21st. I'm not sure if I'll be going to it or not. Are you going to any of these?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:21 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

One more suggestion

Clear contact paper. Although after having one and single experience with painter's tape, I just said what the hell and I'll live with any stone chips. It's a Porsche, not a Bugatti fer christ's sake. ;-)
Old 02-11-2004, 01:54 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

I have the Xpel 3M Protection on my car and it does the job well. Eric who is doing the Xpel install for you?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:36 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Kirby,

I bought my X-pel kit from Ryan for $308. His web page is Autoclearguard.com . I will have Ken Gamurot of CS Specialties install the kit. They put on a full X-pel on my previous M3 and did my friend's M5. They are based out of San Jose and Stockton and they come to your house to do the install. They've done a good job. Unfortunately, more people are getting wind to their services and they are getting busy. I won't be able to get my car done until the 20th. I'm very happy with the X-pel kit. It certainly saved the M3 from many nicks. My wife's Audi has dozens of chips on its bumper from sand that was put down in Colorado Springs. Touch-up paint helps keep it look adequate but it still looks like a kid with bad acne. We'll get it repainted and X-pel it afterwords.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:13 AM
996garage
Intermediate

I think I've racked up more nicks and chips driving out to and from the race track, than on the track itself. I've used the blue painters tape, but usually I don't bother.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:41 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally posted by longhorn911
NickS - I'm going to TWS on Feb 21/22. I didn't know there is another one on March 6/7 - which club is sponsoring it? There is a big LSR sponsored DE at TWS in March, but it is on the 19th thru 21st. I'm not sure if I'll be going to it or not. Are you going to any of these?
I'm not a PCA or LSR member (yet!) so I don't know about any of these events.

I run with the "Drivers Edge" at TWS, TMS and Motorsport Ranch. I've been doing it for about 4-5 years now.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Eric

Yes, CS Specialties is the best. They did my car and I let them use it as a demo for the San Jose Autoshow. Sometime later this month we're going to have an Xpel Install BBQ at my place where they'll install and asnwer questions for people who are thinking about it.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:34 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have 2 seasons of E-pel (3M Scotchcal...not on hood) and it's been great. I have Speedlingerie for long highway hauls...but never have used it on the track.
Racers tape (not duck tape) affords some lamp protection....though they probably don't need it.

Quick Reply: Temporary bumper/headlight protection for track event?