996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure PANIC

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:32 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Very light taps, it jumped right up, ............then again...I think I should replace the Gauge, sender and all wiring between the two...anything else (wink)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by user 63031
Haha, yes he should just replace the sender already because that's the easier job, doesn't matter to know what actually causes the problem first!

Like losing your keys in the dark alley but searching for them on the sidewalk because the light is better there

Bahahaha!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

I'd bet good money that it is a faulty oil pressure gauge sending unit and that it was pure coincidence that the needle jumped when you hit the dash. Observe the gauge on your next few drives and I bet you'll find this to be the case. There are DIY instructions (here and on Renntech?) for changing the sending unit if you are going to do it yourself. IIRC the recommendation is to use a crow's foot wrench to remove and replace the sending unit.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:03 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
Very light taps, it jumped right up, ............then again...I think I should replace the Gauge, sender and all wiring between the two...anything else (wink)
Sooo, you never did get a warning chime with a notice of "oil pressurel sender failure" in the center gauge information area?? HHHMMM...?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I'd bet good money that it is a faulty oil pressure gauge sending unit and that it was pure coincidence that the needle jumped when you hit the dash. Observe the gauge on your next few drives and I bet you'll find this to be the case. There are DIY instructions (here and on Renntech?) for changing the sending unit if you are going to do it yourself. IIRC the recommendation is to use a crow's foot wrench to remove and replace the sending unit.
So I guess replacing 'EVERYTHNG worked.....Nah, probably only a stuck needle...NO PANIC today worked fine...
Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
So I guess replacing 'EVERYTHNG worked.....Nah, probably only a stuck needle...NO PANIC today worked fine...

Good luck to you but I'd still bet that the cause is a failing sending unit and you'll experience more problems with the gauge in the coming days. I think one of the symptoms of a failing oil pressure sending unit is that the gauge drops to zero after the engine has been running a few minutes.

Then again, maybe you do, as NuttyProfessor suggested, have the Fonzie touch...
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Good luck to you but I'd still bet that the cause is a failing sending unit and you'll experience more problems with the gauge in the coming days. I think one of the symptoms of a failing oil pressure sending unit is that the gauge drops to zero after the engine has been running a few minutes.

Then again, maybe you do, as NuttyProfessor suggested, have the Fonzie touch...
In this case the likelihood of a stuck needle or a spotty connection in the cluster is much higher than a failing sending unit. Next time the needs doesn't move and the dash it whacked but nothing happens THEN I would start looking into the sending unit.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure PANIC