Sponsored by:

How does camshaft position sensor work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How does camshaft position sensor work?

Tried some searches and found a lot of hits on camshaft sensors, but not quite what I am looking for . . .

How does the camshaft position sensor in a 3.4 996 work? Specifically, what is the sensor “reading” to get the position? Is there a mark on the camshaft?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Tried some searches and found a lot of hits on camshaft sensors, but not quite what I am looking for . . .

How does the camshaft position sensor in a 3.4 996 work? Specifically, what is the sensor “reading” to get the position? Is there a mark on the camshaft?
If you look at a picture of the intake cam for a 3.4, you will see a metal washer on the end with a tab hanging off the side. The sensor via DME reads the tab's position in relation to the 60-1 teeth on the crankshaft flywheel to determine the position of the intake cam.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Looks like this

Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's the information I was looking for. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

.....and that's basically how every other cam position sensor works too in every other engine out there. The camshaft trips the sensor to let the ECU know where the cam is. The sensor's name tells you what it does.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

What raises the issue is that my car is currently in a shop for an engine rebuild (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-filter-2.html). After the rebuild, the car is showing a CE code for a camshaft out of alignment (I forget the specific code, maybe P0021). What brought the car into the shop in the first place was the same code and my Durametric showing the camshaft off by 18 degrees. After a rebuild, why is this still showing??? The mechanic swears he has triple checked that the timing is set correctly, and he is next going to try installing a new intake camshaft on the relevant side of the motor.

I'm just wondering how it would work that the timing is set properly (sprockets all aligned with marks, etc.) and the camshaft is not aligned properly. Seeing from previous posts where the sensor picks up the signal, I guess it is possible that the sprocket for the chain and the tab that trips the sensor are out of alignment??? Thus, the timing would appear to be set properly, but the computer would think it is not? Mechanic says the motor seems to be running properly.

I get that the camshaft position sensor is checking the position of the camshaft. The question is, can the referenced part of the camshaft be out of whack with the timing chain sprocket? Looking at the picture posted by Coopduc, it is hard for me to imagine how the reference tab would change in position by 18 degrees relative to the timing chain sprocket, but maybe it's possible?

I imagine there can be other causes, such as a problem with the sensor.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Has the sensor been replaced?
A failing sensor could be off if the magnet has come loose and shifted inside.
They're not THAT expensive.
Certainly cheaper than the work done so far.
Did the shop also replace the chain guides and tensioners?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley

I get that the camshaft position sensor is checking the position of the camshaft. The question is, can the referenced part of the camshaft be out of whack with the timing chain sprocket? Looking at the picture posted by Coopduc, it is hard for me to imagine how the reference tab would change in position by 18 degrees relative to the timing chain sprocket, but maybe it's possible?

I imagine there can be other causes, such as a problem with the sensor.
Faulty sensors can appear to work, but output faulty signals. I just went through this with my girlfriend's Lexus; total PITA. Does the shop doing the work have an oscilloscope to check the output signal of the sensor?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Has the sensor been replaced?
A failing sensor could be off if the magnet has come loose and shifted inside.
They're not THAT expensive.
Certainly cheaper than the work done so far.
Did the shop also replace the chain guides and tensioners?
Long story short, but with over 100K miles on the car and me wanting to continue to do DE in the car, I decided to go ahead and do Nickie cylinders, new pistons and connecting rods, etc. Chain guides and tensioners have all been replaced. I will check to see if anything has been done with the sensors.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

The pic I posted shows the intake cam relative to the exhaust cam. The 2 light colored chain links are lined up with 2 dots on the sprockets. The cams also need to be set correctly with TDC of the #1 cylinder. There is a sequence to do this with a special tool. I don’t have pics of every step, but set the crank at TDC with a pin in a hole in the pulley and engine block. Then install the tool in the cams and adjust by loosening the bolts in the sprocket intel the tool fits properly. i suspect this is where the problem is. Unfortunately I didn’t take a pic showing that tool in position.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Have a look at this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-p1397-2.html

Took us some time to figure out that the intake cam actually was off by 1 tooth. You can see the process/testing that it took to come to this conclusion. You mechanic should follow the same main steps that we took to properly diagnose the issue and not just start replacing parts like the cam shaft. Our "Ah ha" moment was the display on of the oscilloscope.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Since your Mechanic has triple checked the "exhaust cam to crank timing", he needs to triple check the "intake cam to exhaust cam timing" (14 pins/rollers between timing marks as shown in pictures).

Also check the cam advance" actuator" for the presence of the little green o-ring that fails with mileage. Did you find any bits of light green rubber in the sump or filter? There are some pics in the "cam timing" threads of this little green o-ring that has caused many a problem with cam codes..

Quick Reply: How does camshaft position sensor work?