996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rough idle, P1530 code, check engine light, 99 996

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 06:33 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Update: Four months later and now bank 2 is showing bad (P1539 code), and I also have a burned transistor on the ECU.

Good times!
Old 12-31-2019, 07:22 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 445 Posts

Mike, I have a brand new actuator unit (the whole thing, not just the solenoid) you can have for cheap if you choose to go that route.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:44 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yelcab
Mike, I have a brand new actuator unit (the whole thing, not just the solenoid) you can have for cheap if you choose to go that route.
Wow, thanks. I can ask the mechanic if that will work. He may have already ordered the part, just the solenoid.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:26 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

What are you going to do with the ECU? Repair it or replace it? I would think if you could find the burnt component, you could replace it, or probably better to send it to somebody who does this for a living.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:59 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
What are you going to do with the ECU? Repair it or replace it? I would think if you could find the burnt component, you could replace it, or probably better to send it to somebody who does this for a living.
Fischer Motors is where the car is at now. Once they replace the other failed solenoid (the first one failed 4 months ago), they’ll send this ECU to ECU doctors to have it repaired.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Just an update on the final repair: ECU doctors repaired the ECU, and Fischer Motors replaced the solenoid, along with tensioner pads on BOTH sides of the engine. My cam deviation numbers before this work was (-3, -1) and now my numbers are (0, 0). One thing the mechanic said is that if the cam deviation is -6, -6, there's still the problem of the cams being out of time with respect to the crank, which is a problem, even though the cams are identical. So it's not just -6 delta between the two numbers, there's also an absolute number that's important. Once they replaced the tensioner pads on one side, it made my cam deviation worse until they did the pads on the other side. One last thing: I had the mechanic pull the sump plate to inspect and bore scope a couple of cylinders (numbers 3 and 6), since the cam covers were already out and it would have been quite easy to pull a spark plug. So here's a couple of photos on the tensioner pads and bore scope (the pics are pretty bad), but the good news is that he didn't see any scoring, only normal scratch marks on an engine with 64k miles.

Tensioner pads arranged in the order they appear from the rear of the car. Note that bank 1 tensioner pressure-side sits on the bottom, where bank 2 sits on top (and is easier to replace).

They are worn!

Cylinder 3. Horrible picture, but the mechanic said these scratches are typical for a car with 64k miles.

Cylinder 6. Horrible picture, but the mechanic said these scratches are typical for a car with 64k miles.

Quick Reply: Rough idle, P1530 code, check engine light, 99 996