125,000 mile "tune up"

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Just so you know, you don’t need to remove the carpet, just peel it back (as if you were going to remove the headlight). It’s one of the things I always check when I am serious about a 996.
Based on the "cleanliness" I have observed with this car - I think removing as much as I can will have little downside.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Now I'm no expert, and I normally don't use the underhood VIN when recording VINs when I work on other people's 911s and Boxsters, but I think your car has definitely been painted.
On my 2002 the metal the VIN is stamped into is painted the same color as the rest of the car.
I think it is covered by a clear label, so that might be why your VIN plate area was not painted with the rest of the car.
Man someone went to a lot of trouble to completely change the color of your car though.
From seeing factory assembly videos it appears that the entire body (except for perhaps doors hood and fenders are painted at one time in the same color.
Quoting you again! I took a closer look at my "history" document. It seems there is a good chance the car was painted by the second or third owner.
At about 30,000 miles:
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Vehicle color noted as dark blue

Could easily be interpreted that this is a change. Will be interesting what the tag reads.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:06 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I don't know about other state, but Texas now states what the color is, whether it has changed or not.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Got some parts today. Mostly little things. Plug gaskets, a mount, some plastic trim fasteners, and a spark plug tube. The big item is the magnetic oil plug. Will go in next time the oil comes out.

Accomplished the task of getting the bumper cover off and cleaning out the radiators. Popped the headlights out first. Thanks for the video, Charlie.

Did not find a tag in the boot that would identify paint code. I think there is enough evidence to suspect the car was red before. Not sure how I feel about this. Maybe a little less - hey, look at me, here I am, hey here I am.... oh, officer, honestly, I wasn't speeding....

Old 02-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Found some minor imperfections in the floor of the boot. I've been looking for accident telltales. This car does not have an unblemished record. Part of the reason I was able to afford it...
A few little distortions in the (boot) floor, some slight misalignment issues with the front fascia and various underbody trim pieces are some of the things I've uncovered so far. There is a little fiberglass patch job in the right side headlight mount. Based on its size. I would say it was just to address a minor crack. The ducts are cracked in the rearward most corners; more so on the right. So a low speed impact at the front, possibly offset to the passenger's side, is in Speedy's past. I'll patch, repair or replace as I go. The focus is on inspection and cleaning right now.

Leaves poking out of the crack in the duct.

The right side radiator looks newer than the left. I would guess both A/C condensers have been replaced, as neither looks more aged than the other.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:52 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Some cars have the paint code on the inside of the gas filler door.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#&gid=1&pid=1
Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco

Did not find a tag in the boot that would identify paint code. I think there is enough evidence to suspect the car was red before. Not sure how I feel about this. Maybe a little less - hey, look at me, here I am, hey here I am.... oh, officer, honestly, I wasn't speeding....
Write Me Up red 😎

In addition to your magnetic drain plug, you might consider a spin on filter adaptor for its “zero bypass” feature. I’m convinced it was instrumental in keeping my IMS failure from taking out the whole engine.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:07 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Some cars have the paint code on the inside of the gas filler door.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#&gid=1&pid=1
Nope.

If there was a label there, it was removed or painted over.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Try this link Scott, just enter your VIN

https://vinanalytics.com
Old 02-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

If it was repainted they did a thorough job
Old 02-28-2019, 09:31 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTT

Write Me Up red 😎

In addition to your magnetic drain plug, you might consider a spin on filter adaptor for its “zero bypass” feature. I’m convinced it was instrumental in keeping my IMS failure from taking out the whole engine.
That's a strong testimonial. Glad you survived.
I would have ordered the adapter at the same time as the magnetic plug if it had a port to allow an oil pressure line to connect. Ultimately I figure on installing the Solution. In the interim, I plan to do everything I can to pre-qualify this engine. So far I have checked codes and the oil filter. I just ordered a replacement oil filter housing. From what I have read, the pressure relief spring may degrade with age and use/abuse. When I let the oil out, I'll drop the sump, cut the filter element open and inspect everything I can. I did order the 'scope' that Mr. Raby recommended (need to get a 12 year-old over here to help me with it). Following that inspection, I will determine a path. Either there are issues that need immediate attention, or I will follow a more long-term preventative strategy. That being the magnetic plug, frequent oil changes, continuous scrutiny and, at some point, the installation of the Solution.

Cleaning out the radiators shouldn't hurt my plan...

Old 02-28-2019, 09:34 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Cleaning out the radiators shouldn't hurt my plan...
Remarkable isn't it? Just how much crap can be collected.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
If it was repainted they did a thorough job

I think so. If you look at the photo above with the headlight - look below and around the brake booster and master cylinder. They must have masked that off, but there are still areas that show traces of red. I wonder how much of the interior was removed? May not know for sure (I hope) for some time.
Found a good reason for disabling the headlight washer circuits...

Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTT
Try this link Scott, just enter your VIN

https://vinanalytics.com
Build sheet not available.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Installed the carbonated cabin filter yesterday. Did a little cleaning and tidying today. All the fabric tape that held various harness segments had essentially turned to tatters. Used baby zip ties to take the place of the tape. Wiped most everything I could reach, with a towel soaked in warm soapy water. Alternated vacuum and compressed air for good measure.

A lot of red in the cowl area.

Found the headlight buckets make great end tables.

Quick Reply: 125,000 mile "tune up"