Straight Pipes No Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:08 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight Pipes No Muffler

I was thinking of running Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes on my cab

Am i going to go crazy or deaf, as my p-car is a daily driver?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Ghost
Intermediate

Both! I had the bypass pipes for about an hour before I took them off. I can't even begin to describe the gutteral, truck-like sound they make. I consider myself "hard core" when it comes to exhaust db's, but, again they bypass pipes were horrible!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason. NO freakin way.

I bought a pair of bypass pipes a few months back on ebay ....going cheap.
This weekend, for fun, I fitted them. Swapped out my maxflow kit.
Man they are stupidly loud. I mean they are fecking incredibly loud. Too loud. I am surprised you didn't here them in Arizona from here in the UK!
Personally I don't like them at all. In fact I hate them. They make the car sound like the mufflers had fell off Or like they had rusetd through. They loose all respect for the Porker.

Maxflow setup went straight back on on Sunday. And these efforts are going back on ebay. Phut!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:11 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

I just had mine removed after a month of driving with them...and installed PSE. It was kind of fun to have them for a while, but it became clear that I would have to alter my style of driving to "survive" with them. They were an absolute cop magnet...as if a 24 year old in a C4S isn't enough already.

I had to watch my mirrors at all times and they were so loud that when passing a cop on a 2 lane road, I felt the need to put in the clutch as I passed him. Same thing passing cops anywhere else.

I mean, they are loud whether you're trying to be or not. That's just all there is to it. I personally liked the sound though. It felt so substantial. However, I like not having so much noise in the cabin now. PSE has just enough. Also, with a cab, I don't think you (nor your ears) would last long.

When visiting my parents for a week after getting the car, they gave me endless **** about it. They said they could hear me coming from several blocks away. I didn't quite believe it so I eventually had my Dad drive the car around the block for me. He was *****-footin' it around and I could hear him from the time he left til the time he got back. He said he never even took it to 3500 rpm.

In short, it is so loud that it is really more tacky than the car deserves.

On a related note, my PSE is growing on me by the day. It is getting a bit louder the more I drive it...so its getting more to my liking.

Skip the pipes, especially in a cab...
Old 02-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

You guys who don't like the bypass and want to sell should put the in the classifieds on this board and others. I actually know a few people looking to get the bypass, I'll let them know about this thread if they haven't see it already.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:46 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

Originally posted by Itzkirb
You guys who don't like the bypass and want to sell should put the in the classifieds on this board and others. I actually know a few people looking to get the bypass, I'll let them know about this thread if they haven't see it already.
Good idea.

Mine are for sale but I have no idea what to ask for them...
Old 02-03-2004, 05:12 AM
jbdmd
Pro

i might be interested in buying if you make me a screaming deal (no pun intended!)
Old 02-03-2004, 09:34 AM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

email me...marcmc8867@yahoo.com
Old 02-03-2004, 02:54 PM
mastermind
Advanced

On a cab they might be a bit much....

I have both a Fabspeed muffler on my car, and I have the bypass pipes for when I'm feeling adventurous or for autox/track. With my air wrench I can do the swap in about 15min flat.... and when I'm switching on the track rubber I already have the car up on the stands anyway.....

I ran with the bypass pipes for about 2 months in the summer - actually drove up to Toronto and back (1400mi round trip) with them... never once bothered by a cop.

But yea.... they are damn loud... the car really sounds like a cup car with these things - that kind of un-muffled, splatty, farty track sound. Personally I don't mind that sound at all - but some don't care for it. To me it reminds me of Road America in the summer.... ahhhhhhh......

If you are off the gas going down the street/highway they are not that bad (I had no problem listening to NPR while travelling down I-94 here to Chicago) - they do alter your driving style though... if you're very light on the gas you can sneak around fairly well, but as soon as you give it some juice all hell breaks loose !!!!

There's a few times in the summer the girlfriend and I would cruise down 108th street here in Milwaukee (a popular cruise spot - fairly wide open 4 lane road) just to see all the kiddies in their rides... one time we went with stock pipes and of course got a few compliments on the car, the other time we had the bypass pipes on and the comments from other cars full of people were, "Dude, you car ****ing ROCKS !!!!!!!".

So most of the time they sit in the garage... but I like to keep them for those "speacial occasions" !!!!

trev
Old 02-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Hey Trevor, ..... air wrench ....where in heavens do you use that.....4 bolts on the cats maybe. You ain't going to get that behind the headers ;D

Sure 15 minutes to swap the maxflows out for the pipes. But at least an hour to swap the maxflows back It takes at least 20 minutes dicking about with the tips once you got your maxflow kit back on and them 3 nuts behind the headers are a nightmare even with the car in the air.

But the fact that it does only take a relatively short while considering, I think I will keep mine too.....even though I hate em. Besides they could only be worth $100 used. Also I am planning a trip to the Ring (Nuerburg) this summer..... these noisy bastards should make it a heap of fun
Old 02-03-2004, 06:55 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

Originally posted by Scouser
Hey Trevor, ..... air wrench ....where in heavens do you use that.....4 bolts on the cats maybe. You ain't going to get that behind the headers ;D

Sure 15 minutes to swap the maxflows out for the pipes. But at least an hour to swap the maxflows back It takes at least 20 minutes dicking about with the tips once you got your maxflow kit back on and them 3 nuts behind the headers are a nightmare even with the car in the air.

But the fact that it does only take a relatively short while considering, I think I will keep mine too.....even though I hate em. Besides they could only be worth $100 used. Also I am planning a trip to the Ring (Nuerburg) this summer..... these noisy bastards should make it a heap of fun
how could they be worth 100 used when they're 500 new?

i understand depreciation on this stuff, but that's a bit extreme...
Old 02-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Oops sorry. £100 not $ollars.

They are about £325 new here I think. I bought mine on ebay some months back for £130.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:33 AM
mastermind
Advanced

Sorry.. I should have clairified - air ratchet - I have a nice IR 3/8" air ratchet that fits up in there fine for the mounting bolts - makes quick work of them.

After I got the tips aligned the first time I haven't had to re-adjust (I leave the tips on the cans when I take them off).

Agreed !!!!

Quick Reply: Straight Pipes No Muffler