Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Alignment specs bugging me, am I obsessing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I'm glad to see so many tech chiming in here, I was under the impression not many Techs were active in here.

I agree with the Techs, this is unacceptable, the front camber is the easiest adjustment to make on a 996 and should be done to perfection! Either to Porsche stated specs or to customer custom requests.

If there is unable to get it within specs you should have been notified! Remove the plastic cover from the top of the strut and look at the slots for the strut mount. If there is still room in the slot to move the stud/nut to the outer side of the slot, then the adjustment could have have been made to perfection! If the stud/nut is already at the outer side of the slot , then you have a bent strut or carrier making further adjustment impossible, but you should have been notified!!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:03 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I just had mine done (took over an hour) and it looks similar except my Left Rear Camber is -1.6. When I asked the tech why he could not bring in in more, he hardly spoke English and couldn't really explain anything to me other than it's ok. I pushed a bit more and he pointed to the strut saying "maybe bad"...I was in a rush and had to leave but would like to know if he could be right? I don't doubt it may be time for new struts as I have no previous history of them being changed at 124K currently.

Thoughts from the Techs out there?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I just had mine done (took over an hour) and it looks similar except my Left Rear Camber is -1.6. When I asked the tech why he could not bring in in more, he hardly spoke English and couldn't really explain anything to me other than it's ok. I pushed a bit more and he pointed to the strut saying "maybe bad"...I was in a rush and had to leave but would like to know if he could be right? I don't doubt it may be time for new struts as I have no previous history of them being changed at 124K currently.

Thoughts from the Techs out there?
The rear struts will have no effect on camber on the 996, it has two upper control arms that hold the top of the carrier. The strut merely performs the shock/spring/height dutys.

Common 996 problem with rear camber adjustment is the concentric washer and rubbing block(worn) on the frame sometimes will not allow full position of more positive camber.I have raised the weight off the rear suspension and moved the adjustment to full positive , then let it down to weight the suspension, then adjust toward negative untill desired specs are reached , then tighten/lock it down. It works for worn adjustment washers/rubbing blocks.

Also if the car has been lowered (996), it may run out of adjustment before the desired camber is reached. There are adjustable rear "upper" control arms available (aftermarket) to make it possible to further adjust rear camber to desired specs.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Stock height.
Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Alignment specs bugging me, am I obsessing?