996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The Knowledge Gruppe Engine Rebuild Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:12 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, based on your analysis of my bore scope posted separately, i guess I will be signing up for the hands on as well!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

The online class was a hit! Our biggest group ever turned out to be great. I have now increased our online capabilities for future classes. We can now handle up to 175 attendees at once.

That said, as of this morning the Hands-on class is filled! Not just booked to the minimum number of attendees to hold the class, but filled to capacity!

Due to demand we are looking into another date in 2019 to hold a second hands- on "M96 102 Hands- on class". This is not what I had expected.
To all of you who bought the recording of the class, it is now rendering and will be uploaded this evening. You'll have a link by noon tomorrow as long as technical difficulties don't strike! :-)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

That's great news!
I'm also glad to hear about another 102 class being planned for 2019.
I'm pretty sure I'll be the first to sign up!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:50 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
That's great news!
I was really planning on next year after buying a new house etc this year.... but I signed up just in case. If you are ever near Big D stop by after the class and we can talk about it, look at Porsche’s etc.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Will there be another 101 class later this year?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:57 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

The hands on class is awesome! I attended May 2017 and it was worth every penny. Several of us posted our experiences after the class.

Jake is a great host and his team is awesome. If you are serious about learning more about the M96 engine there will never be a better opportunity.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:34 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
That's great news!
I hope to be the second! A deal I was waiting on just got to the point where I could reasonably sign up for the 102 class, but it's filled - great for the community but bad for me Hopefully Jake and Tony will be able to schedule another one for those of us left out on this one.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I am glad people are interested in the M96!

Got a question to the attendees of the class (either online, hands on):
If you where an hobby engine builder. Do you feel comfortable building an M96 engine to stockish power levels with some of the issues addressed? (I.e using nickies to avoid futher D-chunk).
Hobby engine builder = someone that has assembled "easy" engines with success (nissan, LS etc).
Old 01-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

A big "yes" after the hands-on class
Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Guys...
Tony and I are checking to see if we have time to host a 2nd Online and Hands On Class in 2019, due to demand... Maybe so. Will let you know.

Its crazy the roller coaster this is.. One year we can't hardly get sign ups, the next year its booked to capacity 3 weeks before the cut off date.
Crazy!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill

If you where an hobby engine builder. Do you feel comfortable building an M96 engine to stockish power levels with some of the issues addressed? (I.e using nickies to avoid futher D-chunk).
Hobby engine builder = someone that has assembled "easy" engines with success (nissan, LS etc).
Not exactly sure if you are asking the question I am answering....I attended the hands on class last year (after hearing it was going to be the last ever). I am not even a hobbyist by your definition. I've never rebuilt an engine, however, based on my experience in this class, I would definitely consider doing it. I know that, in my case, it would wind up being a slow, deliberate process and there are a lot gaps I need to fill in, particularly with respect to physical/dimensional inspection of existing components to ensure they are fit for reuse, but, yes, assembly of the short block is something I think I could do.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MadIrish
Not exactly sure if you are asking the question I am answering....I attended the hands on class last year (after hearing it was going to be the last ever). I am not even a hobbyist by your definition. I've never rebuilt an engine, however, based on my experience in this class, I would definitely consider doing it. I know that, in my case, it would wind up being a slow, deliberate process and there are a lot gaps I need to fill in, particularly with respect to physical/dimensional inspection of existing components to ensure they are fit for reuse, but, yes, assembly of the short block is something I think I could do.
l am going to stop saying “this might be the last class”... l will just list the class once per year, and if it gets 10 sign ups at minimum, then we will have it.. If not, we won’t. The first time that happens is when l will cease listingit in the future. Its too hard to predict demand, and attendence in advance.

I am sure you could build the whole engine. You take it step by step, follow my workbook from the class, and pay attention. Break assembly down into 8 stages, and as you complete each step, and advance to the next your confidence grows. Before you know it, you have a running engine.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Jake, it wasn't a knock, it was simply that I felt that strongly about taking it that I wasn't gonna miss it. It was a great experience. I definitely feel that putting it back together is not a daunting proposition...I would just need to be methodical and patient!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:22 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Its crazy the roller coaster this is.. One year we can't hardly get sign ups, the next year its booked to capacity 3 weeks before the cut off date.
Crazy!
Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
l am going to stop saying “this might be the last class”... l will just list the class once per year, and if it gets 10 sign ups at minimum, then we will have it.. If not, we won’t. The first time that happens is when l will cease listingit in the future. Its too hard to predict demand, and attendence in advance.
My opinion, but I think it shows the continued interest in the 996. Speaking for myself, as a new owner that's also an enthusiast and DIY kind of person, I want to take this class so I can do it myself. Hopefully I'll be able to afford to take the class next year in case it's the last one. Don't give up on the community Jake!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill

I've rebuilt engines before (race and street, "conventional" I4, I6, V6 and V8) and I've only attended the online class, so I'll give you a partial answer.
The online class teaches you about the layout of the M96 and it's subsystems.
You'll also learn the short comings of the M96 engine, but doesn't teach you about engine rebuilding.
That's not what the online class is designed for.
It is a prerequisite so that when you show up to the hands-on class you won't be asking the questions that they want, and expect, you to already know.
Otherwise they would have to spend precious time answering IMS, AOS, fuel injector, cooling system, and oiling system (and etc) questions instead of allowing hands on time.

I believe it is valuable for ALL enthusiast owners to attend the online class.
You'll learn more about caring for your M96 in that class.
You'll also learn fact versus fiction from THE person who has been inside more M96es than anyone else in this forum.
You'll hear from Tony Callas who has rebuilt, and blown up, many M96es. (Not as many as Jake though)
Lots of questions lately in this forum were already answered in the online class.
I've seen lots of misinformation lately in some of the answers on this forum too.
The class ran an extra hour due in part to all the questions being asked by participants.
Jake and Tony stayed until ALL the questions were answered.
There was no, "Sorry guys we have to end, it's getting late" statement but several, "anymore questions" statements.

I've done a lot of studying of the Bentley service manual, Porsche PETs, the Pelican Parts Tech Article photos, looked at tons of M96 block/crank/cylinder head photos, read rebuild threads, bought the tools, and now I own a partial engine so that I can learn even more.
I feel like I could likely rebuild an M96 successfully without taking the hands-on class, but I'm getting too old to learn stuff the hard way.
I'd rather learn from Jake and Tony's experiences (successes and failures) so that I can minimize the risk of failure.
Learning the hard way is just too painful.

I hope to see y'all in class someday!

Bruce

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 01-18-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply: The Knowledge Gruppe Engine Rebuild Class