Sponsored by:

New 996 Owner - A Comedy of Errors

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:47 AM
Sixfiddythumpa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 996 Owner - A Comedy of Errors

Car is locked, battery apparently drained down in a short amount of time, and my key isn't working in the door. Could the RF pill have gone bad? The LED on the key works, the light on the dash is still blinking. I figured the remote wouldn't work after a few days, but was expecting the key would open the door. I've only owned the car for two months, I think I recall using the key to open the lock, but not 100%. Cheers, jeers, and suggestions welcome. At least with Minnesota winter upon us I have a couple months to figure it out.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-20-2018, 01:02 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

The key should open the door. You can reach the battery by accessing the emergency frunk cable, which I think is accessible from the front passenger fender liner (check your model to verify.) GLWS
Old 12-20-2018, 01:14 AM
Sixfiddythumpa
AutoX

The key does not unlock the door. I have taken the screws out of the fender liner, but without the wheel turned or removed, I don't think I can access the cable. The shop that did my EOS said they loan me the lug key to get the wheel off, but it seems odd that the key won't work.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:47 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

There’s a small metal rod that connects the inside of the door handle to the lock mechanism. It’s become disconnected. Had the same thing happen to me. You will need to call AAA to slim Jim the door open. Once they get it open you will want to pull the door card off and reconnect the rod.

Never lock your car when parked in the garage. The car goes into sleep mode after 5 days and if the car is locked the lock won’t respond to your remote. Always keep the car unlocked when parked in your garage.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark I
The key should open the door. You can reach the battery by accessing the emergency frunk cable, which I think is accessible from the front passenger fender liner (check your model to verify.) GLWS
OP didn't give the model year, so...

I have an 2003 and I don't think any of the 996.2s have a manual release (mine doesn't).

Mine does disable the keyless unlock after sitting for a few days, so even if you could get the battery charged up, if the manual key doesn't work, you'd still have to slim-jim it open.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:05 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ah, and I just noticed that the OP said the security light was still blinking, so looks like slim-jim time after trying all keys that came with the car to manually unlock it.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:10 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Weak battery may let the red light flash but not enough power for other systems...
Emergency cable under drivers taillight. Jumper from another 12v source to the engine + post. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Sixfiddythumpa
AutoX

Sorry, it's an '02. Don't both the key fob disable AND the car lock itself after a couple days to minimize the battery drain? I had pre-emptively locked it to keep the battery charge as good as possible, of course not knowing something was up with my door lock. I suppose I'd rather find out now about the door lock malfunction, rather than being out in the world somewhere and have my key fob battery go dead.

Anyone know of a good locksmith in the Twin Cities area?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by TechSavvySam
OP didn't give the model year, so...

I have an 2003 and I don't think any of the 996.2s have a manual release (mine doesn't).

Mine does disable the keyless unlock after sitting for a few days, so even if you could get the battery charged up, if the manual key doesn't work, you'd still have to slim-jim it open.
There's a manual cable on each end of the car.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:30 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts
Unhappy I hear ya knockin', but you can't come in!

Originally Posted by Sixfiddythumpa
Sorry, it's an '02. Don't both the key fob disable AND the car lock itself after a couple days to minimize the battery drain? I had pre-emptively locked it to keep the battery charge as good as possible, of course not knowing something was up with my door lock. I suppose I'd rather find out now about the door lock malfunction, rather than being out in the world somewhere and have my key fob battery go dead.

Anyone know of a good locksmith in the Twin Cities area?
Have you tried the emergency manual release cable behind the front bumper?

Old 12-20-2018, 11:46 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Never lock your car when parked in the garage. The car goes into sleep mode after 5 days and if the car is locked the lock won’t respond to your remote. Always keep the car unlocked when parked in your garage.
Always lock your car when parked in the garage or your battery will drain much more quickly.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Getting into the trunk is not gonna help him. The car went into sleep mode (does it after 5 days of not being started). With the door lock mechanism not working, the only way in is a slim Jim.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:10 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Once you get this all sorted out, remove the drivers side rear tail light and you will see the release cable there. Put a little electric tape to hold the loop end of the cable near the outer edge of the tail light (where it's not really visible, but you know it's there) . Then if this happens again, you can simply use the hook of a coat hanger (or anything to grab the release wire) , slip it in the loop and pull the cable and open the rear deck lid where you can then put a battery jump,
Old 12-20-2018, 12:18 PM
parris
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Question. How can you remove the tailight without opening the rear lid?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Sixfiddythumpa
AutoX

Just so I'm clear on the RF pill in the key; is it only for the ignition or does that also get activated unlocking the door? If it's the latter, could that have malfunctioned?

Quick Reply: New 996 Owner - A Comedy of Errors