Sponsored by:

Roll Bar in a 996 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roll Bar in a 996 Cabriolet?

I currently have a 99' C2, I use it mostly for cruising/street use. I would like to do some days at the Glen or Pocono. I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a bar they can mount/dismount quickly. Not really looking to tour wine country with a gaudy roll bar sticking out the top. Any info would be super appreciated.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

But why do you need a roll bar for your roll bar?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:10 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I guess you could manually deploy your automatic roll bars if you were really worried (or aggressively driving?)
I think there are instructions somewhere online for the procedure, but I think I read it's a somewhat violent deployment. Keep your face out of the way.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
But why do you need a roll bar for your roll bar?
I've been told I need a real Roll Bar to be on the track. Have you had other experiences?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregcoleman81
I've been told I need a real Roll Bar to be on the track. Have you had other experiences?
You don't for PCA events.

Perhaps someone is telling you that you need hand & arm restraints if the top is open?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Apollo76
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find myself in a similar situation with my '04 C4S Cab.

Want to do some DE next year, and the local track websites have stated anything from "Cabs must have 4pt roll bars, as integrated roll/hoops or bolt-on hardtops are not allowed," to "Integrated (Factory) roll bar protection is allowed, as long as you can pass the broomstick test," to "Integrated roll bar protection is allowed ONLY if it is directly behind the driver's seat (such as Boxster). Initial research for relatively "easy in, easy out" roll bars shows a decent range of options - and pricing.

I'm really just looking at becoming a better driver of my own car, and not looking to race. Additionally, because I do actually use the rear seats on a regular basis during the summer (have two kids that still fit back there), the idea of having to constantly install/uninstall a roll bar is less than appealing.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apollo76
I find myself in a similar situation with my '04 C4S Cab.

Want to do some DE next year, and the local track websites have stated anything from "Cabs must have 4pt roll bars, as integrated roll/hoops or bolt-on hardtops are not allowed," to "Integrated (Factory) roll bar protection is allowed, as long as you can pass the broomstick test," to "Integrated roll bar protection is allowed ONLY if it is directly behind the driver's seat (such as Boxster). Initial research for relatively "easy in, easy out" roll bars shows a decent range of options - and pricing.

I'm really just looking at becoming a better driver of my own car, and not looking to race. Additionally, because I do actually use the rear seats on a regular basis during the summer (have two kids that still fit back there), the idea of having to constantly install/uninstall a roll bar is less than appealing.
I'm in the same situation, I thought about installing the Hardtop and see if I can fool them... Probably NOT...
https://www.agency-power.com/shop/ra...v=7516fd43adaa
Not sure if this will fit or not, but may be an option.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Most places will say this stuff is needed, but not all will always check and bring a broom out. I would contact the folks running the specific event and ask the coordinators.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:25 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I put the hardtop on, and this was acceptable for a PCA Drivers Education event at a local track.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You don't for PCA events.

Perhaps someone is telling you that you need hand & arm restraints if the top is open?
Depends on the region. I am the safety chair for our region (we run The Glen and Pocono, and other tracks). We allow a cab with the pop-up roll bar for our intro course, but after that you need to have a bar.

You are correct, it is not a PCA requirement, but the PCA requirements are the minimum requirements. Each region can adjust rules.

For me, it came down to the fact that there is no way to do the broomstick test with the pop-ups. We also have a track NJMP that will not allow any convertibles without fixed roll bars.

After doing lots of research, there is not an easily removed solution for the vert. Anything would require drilling into the car. Even the bolt in bars for the coupes are not what I would consider easily removed (although they do not require any drilling).
Old 12-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Depends on the region. I am the safety chair for our region (we run The Glen and Pocono, and other tracks). We allow a cab with the pop-up roll bar for our intro course, but after that you need to have a bar.

You are correct, it is not a PCA requirement, but the PCA requirements are the minimum requirements. Each region can adjust rules.

For me, it came down to the fact that there is no way to do the broomstick test with the pop-ups. We also have a track NJMP that will not allow any convertibles without fixed roll bars.

After doing lots of research, there is not an easily removed solution for the vert. Anything would require drilling into the car. Even the bolt in bars for the coupes are not what I would consider easily removed (although they do not require any drilling).
I appreciate it, I will keep looking.. I found a bolt in that uses the belt locations but they say it will interfere with the top's function. I was hoping to do some non PCA events but I guess I will just hit up the PCA ones this summer.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregcoleman81
I appreciate it, I will keep looking.. I found a bolt in that uses the belt locations but they say it will interfere with the top's function. I was hoping to do some non PCA events but I guess I will just hit up the PCA ones this summer.
I would also encourage exploration outside of PCA. I’ve done, for example, LAPS and had good experiences. I have a friend who has done BMW groups. You’ll find a lot of Porsche cars in these non-Porsche-specific groups, too, so I wouldn’t limit to just PCA. Each company has slightly different requirements, and not all the same at the same tracks.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:55 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollo76
I'm really just looking at becoming a better driver of my own car, and not looking to race.
Start with some PCA autocross events. You will definitely get a better feel for your car's handling and will help you in real world situations.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
Start with some PCA autocross events. You will definitely get a better feel for your car's handling and will help you in real world situations.
Ditto on the Autocross. Also Their are some private race tracks around like here in Syracuse, NY that they only want the roof up... (Not flat like a normal autoX).
Old 12-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Flatlined
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this be of any interest to anyone?

Quick Reply: Roll Bar in a 996 Cabriolet?