Sponsored by:

Roll Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:11 PM
incorigeable
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Roll Bars

My 996 is a non winter daily. Would adding a roll bar have any meaningful impact on the safety of the car as a daily driver?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Not worth it if you ask me. A rollover accident is extremely unlikely, and the rest of the time you're just carrying around extra weight and making the car less convenient to use every day.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 830 Posts

Technically, having a roll bar in your street car is more of a safety liability than an asset. If you aren't wearing a helmet and your head makes contact with it, you're going to have a bad day.

I had one in my C4S anyway.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:22 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,323 Posts

I have a bolt-in rollbar for mine, but it's hanging in the garage until I get ready to go to the track.
With it in I can't have back seat passengers (12 year old daughter or her friends) nor a convenient place to set larger cargo.
A rollbar does help stiffen the chassis some though.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:34 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

I don’t know the parameters, but aren’t all cars subject to rollover testing?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Front, side, and rear reinforcement would be the best ideas IMO. Emphasis on front and side. Distracted driving is the main thing to be most worried about.

Best safety for any car is paying more attention while driving. Too many people zone out while driving. I am not talking about the texters, food eaters, etc. I mean everyone. Each driver should know what's around them in front of them and behind them at all times.

My rule of thumb is to pretend someone tells you there will be a stopped car for an illegitimate reason in your path every time you drive. It will make you more alert while driving. And it's free!
Old 12-13-2018, 12:48 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Originally Posted by sparks259
I don’t know the parameters, but aren’t all cars subject to rollover testing?
Not a DOT test unless it is a new test that I haven't heard of.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:07 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
Not worth it if you ask me. A rollover accident is extremely unlikely, and the rest of the time you're just carrying around extra weight and making the car less convenient to use every day.
I hadn't thought of this.....however isn't the rollbar further behind the seat?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 AM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think they just look like they belong there on a 911...
i did it as a rear seat delete. i always find that 3rd wheel that want to sit in the back..
Name:  20181112_163413.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  152.5 KB
Old 12-13-2018, 02:45 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

the main safety liability is head contact as stated before. It's best to get one in combination with the euro gt3 bucket seats- the design of the seats makes contact with the bar nearly impossible.

I just installed a DAS sport in mine. Yeah it's a big pain to put in. Yes, it all but eliminates storage back there (fixed-back seats will do this anyways). But damn is it cool. And the DAS doesn't impede rear visibility whatsoever- you literally cannot see it in the rear view mirror. I am doing more HPDE track days so I pulled the trigger on mine. Not worth it for a daily driver but worth it if you track some.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:49 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

I did a lot of research before I selected a roll bar.
I went with a Dassport for a few reasons. Not affiliated with this company, but a very happy customer

Take a look at the photos below, one is the Factory Porsche, another is popular aftermarket brand the third is a Dassport

As everyone can see the BIG difference. The Dassport is a far superior design. The rear mounts directly to the top of the struts, it also doubles a rear strut brace. The rigidity of my chassis increased by a lot. This alone is big.
The second thing you will notice, other roll bars have a front mount to the seat belt bolts, relying on the shear strength of the bolts in the event of a roll over. The dassport used a steel bracket that bolts to the seat belt bolt, but the roll over weight would be dispersed over the unibody sub frame, without welding again big difference.
The third design difference is the cross bar height, this design is far superior for side impact protection.
The forth design difference, is no diagonal bar, which blocks rear view mirror vision (at least for a short chubby guy setting)

The only down side of a Dassport, you have to loose your Bose sound box mounted on the rear deck.

Here is mine, it is functional and looks great.IMO
Old 12-13-2018, 03:15 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Something else to mention about the DAS- it is big-boy diameter and big-boy wall-thickness. 1.75" and 0.120" I believe. A lot of "harness bars" out there are 1.5", 1.25" diameter only, and only 0.090" thick or worse. The DAS is heavier because of this (55lbs I think?) but hey if you're gonna go to the trouble- make it stout.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:21 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Technically, having a roll bar in your street car is more of a safety liability than an asset. If you aren't wearing a helmet and your head makes contact with it, you're going to have a bad day.

I had one in my C4S anyway.
I thought about mentioning this, but for most designs that people would be looking at, the roll bar is in the back seat behind the front seat headrests, so there's really no way to hit your head on it without going pretty far out of your seat first, which is a whole other problem. I suppose if the seat back broke and you reclined a lot, then you could get up into it. I think it's more of an issue with a full cage, where you'd have bars running across the window top and down the dash, where you could certainly hit it easily if not harnessed and helmeted.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

A little OT but related, here is one for sale.

DAS Sport Porsche 996-997 Bolt-In Roll Bar
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pt...753023115.html
Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
A little OT but related, here is one for sale.

DAS Sport Porsche 996-997 Bolt-In Roll Bar
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pt...753023115.html
Good price.
It is however for a non sunroof car.
Dassport has hardware kits that you should use when installing or reinstalling.

Quick Reply: Roll Bars