996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I did a bad thing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 PM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats. I'm a new owner as well, and it seems many nights the past week I go out to the garage just to look at the curves on it...
Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Congrats!! Is this the car I posted about a few weeks ago listed for $12,900 or something thereabouts? Someone did a test drive and also reported the 6th gear issue. Could be a coincidence.

Looks like you did a bad thing, and sometimes bad is good
Old 12-11-2018, 01:40 AM
jobyt
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 166 Posts

If the VIN ends in 00617, that is the one. I looked at this one before jumping on one in Colorado built the same week as this one. I would immediately take this one to Flat 6 Innovations on the buyer's way back down to Jacksonville and see if he needs to have Jake do his magic...one of the posters on firstflatsix.com had this to say about his test drive in October: I drove this car yesterday. While the body was straight and clean, the car was beaten half to death. I saw bright green in the oil filler tube and black residue in the coolant tank. So it seems like oil and coolant might be intermixing. Also, the driver’s side mirror came off while I was driving it, and I got locked in the car when the drivers door latch failed. Also, that aftermarket exhaust turned out to be a muffler bypass – fun, but would likely get you stopped by police in most metro areas. There are better cars available for near this money.

These thing are fixable. I've already replace the ignition switch module, variocam solenoid cover, all 6 coils, spark plug tubes and spark plugs (which solved several oil leaks that the previous owner's shop knew about and shared with me before I bought it). Replaced the stock exhaust with a FabSpeed X-Pipe. Next will be the clutch and IMS bearing. If you're comfortable with tools and have room to work on it, this car is a deal. If you have to pay someone to clean it up, it will end up with similar cost to like-milage cars fetching $20k or so.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Alpina68
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jobyt
If the VIN ends in 00617, that is the one. I looked at this one before jumping on one in Colorado built the same week as this one. I would immediately take this one to Flat 6 Innovations on the buyer's way back down to Jacksonville and see if he needs to have Jake do his magic...one of the posters on firstflatsix.com had this to say about his test drive in October: I drove this car yesterday. While the body was straight and clean, the car was beaten half to death. I saw bright green in the oil filler tube and black residue in the coolant tank. So it seems like oil and coolant might be intermixing. Also, the driver’s side mirror came off while I was driving it, and I got locked in the car when the drivers door latch failed. Also, that aftermarket exhaust turned out to be a muffler bypass – fun, but would likely get you stopped by police in most metro areas. There are better cars available for near this money.

These thing are fixable. I've already replace the ignition switch module, variocam solenoid cover, all 6 coils, spark plug tubes and spark plugs (which solved several oil leaks that the previous owner's shop knew about and shared with me before I bought it). Replaced the stock exhaust with a FabSpeed X-Pipe. Next will be the clutch and IMS bearing. If you're comfortable with tools and have room to work on it, this car is a deal. If you have to pay someone to clean it up, it will end up with similar cost to like-milage cars fetching $20k or so.
Yes this is the same car. I did an oil change on it same day I picked it up and wiped out the filler tube as much as I could and after the 1000 mile trip nothing came back. the carfax said it had only driven 3100 miles in 3 years so i'm guessing the last owner never drove it long enough to get any heat in the motor so moisture built up in the tube.

I tested the coolant for hydrocarbons and it came up negative will be flushing it next week at week.

Will be replacing to water pump and t-stat with a low temp as it gets here

Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 AM
jobyt
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpina68
Yes this is the same car. I did an oil change on it same day I picked it up and wiped out the filler tube as much as I could and after the 1000 mile trip nothing came back. the carfax said it had only driven 3100 miles in 3 years so i'm guessing the last owner never drove it long enough to get any heat in the motor so moisture built up in the tube.

I tested the coolant for hydrocarbons and it came up negative will be flushing it next week at week.

Will be replacing to water pump and t-stat with a low temp as it gets here
Nice! Keep us up to date on the door and other items. Sounds like you got a great deal!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:10 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Super! Beautiful car. Man, you got a great deal at that price! I'm sure you and your wife had a nice trip back to Jacksonville, Florida. Nothing like a road trip in a 911!

Looks like you're checking every square inch of this thing. Since this is an early build model '99, then more than likely you have the dual row IMS, but I'd recommend having it changed out with the clutch service with a newer Dual Row LN bearing or IMS Solution. Also, you may want to have the cylinders borescoped for any scoring. Not trying to create fear, just things to check as preventive measures.

That reminds me... I need to change out my water pump! hahaha
Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Let me tell you about bad...I bought a 996 with a blown engine and never told my wife until it arrived at the dock. I'm not a mechanic either!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice - looks like a fun trip. Enjoy your new car! Just bought one yesterday as well, also in the Chicago area.
Daryll
Old 12-11-2018, 02:24 PM
parris
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats!
Those are the kind of experiences that make the purchase of a car a really memorable experience.
By the way, I made the kind of same "bad thing". I bought and shipped my car from California to Florida... without PPI... without haven't seen the car... just in photos and just with the conversation with the dealer...

(I was very lucky too...)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Alpina68
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bplein
Congrats. I'm a new owner as well, and it seems many nights the past week I go out to the garage just to look at the curves on it...
I'm with you there. Still cant believe I have one.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Alpina68
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Super! Beautiful car. Man, you got a great deal at that price! I'm sure you and your wife had a nice trip back to Jacksonville, Florida. Nothing like a road trip in a 911!

Looks like you're checking every square inch of this thing. Since this is an early build model '99, then more than likely you have the dual row IMS, but I'd recommend having it changed out with the clutch service with a newer Dual Row LN bearing or IMS Solution. Also, you may want to have the cylinders borescoped for any scoring. Not trying to create fear, just things to check as preventive measures.

That reminds me... I need to change out my water pump! hahaha
Next oil change I will drop the sump and scope the bores. And hope and pray
Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in Jacksonville also if-

When. When you need help. Congrats but it seems nuts you had to go that far to get one! And driving all that way in sub-freezing temps on summer tires? Or were they pilot sport all seasons?
Old 12-11-2018, 03:54 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice grab!!!

I recently picked up an early '99 as well. Mine didnt have any service history and its up on my lift now as I (slowly) degrease the motor.

I started a thread to document my progress...

Lots of early '99 cars entering the forum lately, I'm looking forward to following along with everyone's progress!

Holler if you need any help, plenty of VERY helpful peeps around here
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpina68
Next oil change I will drop the sump and scope the bores. And hope and pray
This video is intended for people who are looking to install the IMS Solution, but it contains lots of helpful information for examining the health of your M96 engine. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, jump to the end where Jake Raby talks about oil anaylsis. The first part of the video is about "ECU interrogation" using the Durametric scanning tool. Anyway, good luck!

Quick Reply: I did a bad thing...