996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First Porsche

Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyCapranica
The squeaking noise coming from the passenger rear of the car is getting louder. It only happens when the car is moving and is not engine speed dependent, so that makes me feel a little better. The squeaking doesn’t change frequency with speed; it reaches a certain frequency and gets to its loudest at about 40mph and just stays the same any speed above that. I’ve ruled out wind noise. I took the rear wheels off and looked around. It looks like a car with 25k miles - that is to say it’s not showroom new cleanliness, but parts don’t look worn, clips are all intact, lines and hoses all look good, etc. Tomorrow I’ll be taking the rear rotors off to see if it has anything to do with the parking brake spring as I found that a guy with a 964 had a similar issue and that spring was broken (on both rear brakes) and loose inside the rotor making squeaking noises.

I hope this car isn't one of those that there is always some annoying problem to chase down. I’d really just like to drive and enjoy it and spend my energy on maintaining and improving it, not fixing stupid nonsense.
My advice, DRIVE IT! Just because it only has 25k miles doesn't make it any younger, thats what people for get about cars. Things wear out over time, sometimes more so when they sit. Miles on a car are just ONE aspect, and not the only important factor. Example, the water company was doing work on my street so I was out there talking to one of the "supervisors" and his Jeep was running (he wasn't in it). and I asked him if he lets it run all day. His response, "yes sir, all day every day." Point being that the water company will eventually sell that, and maybe it has 50k miles on in, when in reality that engine has ran longer than cars with 150k miles. Get my point? Just drive the car and enjoy it, they are a blast.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
My advice, DRIVE IT! Just because it only has 25k miles doesn't make it any younger, thats what people for get about cars. Things wear out over time, sometimes more so when they sit. Miles on a car are just ONE aspect, and not the only important factor. Example, the water company was doing work on my street so I was out there talking to one of the "supervisors" and his Jeep was running (he wasn't in it). and I asked him if he lets it run all day. His response, "yes sir, all day every day." Point being that the water company will eventually sell that, and maybe it has 50k miles on in, when in reality that engine has ran longer than cars with 150k miles. Get my point? Just drive the car and enjoy it, they are a blast.
I bought the car in November with 21k miles. I’ve since driven it from Connecticut to North Carolina to Florida and back to North Carolina. While I was in Florida I was driving back and forth from my mom’s and brother’s places, which are about 30 miles apart, almost every day for a couple weeks. Soon I’ll be starting a job that’ll have a 28 mile (one way) commute back in Florida, so I’ll be driving back in a couple weeks. I promise, this car gets driven. I can’t own a car and not drive it.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Removed the right rear rotor and inspected behind it then reinstalled; adjusted the right side parking brake shoe adjustment screw until rotor would not turn then backed off 9 slots; test drove and experienced the same squeaking noise. I’m thinking it could be wind noise again because I can’t think of anything else it could possibly be. The car drives great otherwise and every inspection I do makes me happier I bought it. Anyway, here’s some pictures.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 AM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattBurns
Where did you get that build sheet? I would like to get the same for the car I am purchasing, but am struggling to find one. VIN Analytics doesn't come up with one. I ordered a buildsheet through Suncoast, but I can't really make heads or tails of the equipment list.
Matt, I’m sorry for not replying to this earlier. I totally missed it. I got it from VIN Analytics.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 AM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

So I’ve had the car now for 2 months and put something like 4,012 miles on it. With my brother’s help (and driveway and some of his tools), I’ve changed the oil, replaced air filter, replaced the cabin filter with a Mann charcoal filter, installed H&R Sport springs (part# 29513-2 for cabrio/targa which have slightly stiffer rear springs), cleaned radiators, fixed frunk microswitch, replaced frunk and engine lid lights, conditioned interior leather, and corrected the paint.

The front right brake/hub area has developed some kind of squeaking, but it’s not the end of the world. As I have removed panels and components and been able to inspect behind things, I am impressed with the condition of this car as well as Porsche engineering. There have been a couple annoying things about working on it (the frunk latch cover, the rear strut bottom bolt), but it’s mostly been a pleasure.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to live without a 911 again; I think it’s the perfect personal conveyance for me. I definitely want the newest 911, but I hope I never have to get rid of this car.

I’m really looking forward to the next couple years of mods - the next of which will be the Numeric Racing shifter and cables. Next highest on the priority list is the exhaust. I wanted to do the Tubi mufflers and call it a day, but after a lot of looking around I decided I’ll try the Speedtech stuff: headers, side cans, and race x pipe. I’ll have it tuned when that stuff goes on. If I get the exhaust on and it doesn’t sound as awesome as I think it will, I’ll add the Tubi cans and see if it makes a difference.

By the time that stuff is installed, it’ll probably be about time to change the tires. I’m pretty set on doing 285/35&235/40 (maybe 245/40 on the GT2 8.5” front wheel) Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The choices for the 30-series rear tires are quite limited and I think the tire is too small anyway. I’m sure the small diameter contributes greatly to the overall dynamic character of the car and if it loses that to any significant degree I’ll try the PS2 in stock sizes. I was planning on getting coilovers, but I’m pretty happy with this ride height and have read some good stuff about the Koni golds, so I might give those a try first (unless this car becomes a weekend toy, in which case coilovers are a certainty).

Eventually I’d like to get GT3 carriers/brakes and go crazy with suspension mods, but that’s not high on my priority list yet.

I really love driving and looking at this car.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

She's a beauty! But you need to change your Avatar now
Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
She's a beauty! But you need to change your Avatar now
Ya I need to make a new one out of the headlights on my car. I might do that this weekend.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:44 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyCapranica
...I really love driving and looking at this car.
Me too! I sometimes walk to the back window just to look at it, incredible cars, incredible looks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Porsche