996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Low cost 99 996 for sale in Chicago area

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 03:43 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

That does look like a good buy, but who knows how much deferred maintenance there is to catch up on.... we all know that drill. But a PPI for someone local could potentially reveal a heck of a buy!

And while I'd love to see the 996 do what every other 911 before it has done, it just ain't gonna happen. The current trend is largely based on a baby boomers and those soon after that now have $$ and can buy that car their friend's dad had when they were in High School. Kids these days don't care about cars, not like we used to... hence the rabid growth of Uber, Lift and the like. Sure, there are those that lusted after the 996 growing up ... they are now old enough to buy one and they made enough to satisfy that small group of guys and gals because that pool is so much smaller. America in large part is over the romance with cars (so glad i grew up in the day when that wasn't the case), I'm not saying completely, but such a notion was alien when i was a kid... the times are a changin'. Love the thought of making money on a car, but it ain't gonna happen... not w/ a 996.

Geez, all that sounds a bit negative, sorry!
Old 11-13-2018, 03:44 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1999...Carrera/Values

https://www.kbb.com/porsche/911/1999...condition=good

Cherry pick all you want. The info is out there. It's not a rosy picture for the 996, and hasn't been for 4 years.

sorry
Old 11-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1999...Carrera/Values

https://www.kbb.com/porsche/911/1999...condition=good

Cherry pick all you want. The info is out there. It's not a rosy picture for the 996, and hasn't been for 4 years.

sorry
I’m ok with anything around the $20k mark. If I ever sell it will basically be a free car (minus maintenance).
Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by parris
Who here remember the times where you could buy a nice 964 under 30K...
Not just the 964s, but also the 3.2 Carreras and 3.0 S/C were all around $20,000 or less back in 2004/5/6. The market was actually kind of flooded a bit back then as well. You could easily find a bunch of examples to test drive, many of which were good drivers cars. The 964s weren’t even as well regarded, but were good options for anyone that actually wanted air conditioning that worked...

Few thought these air cooled cars would ever go up that much because so many were made. Frequent 944, 914 or 912 comparisons were made. Many would shy away because of overblown engine issues, such as top-end rebuilds (valve guides being common).

So I predict the 996/997/991s will be in the same camp as the SC/3.2/964 groupings. The 993 was different and always will be the last of the air-cooled. The 992, not sure yet.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

there are a lot of examples. In other range of prices, ten years ago, you could buy a nice Golf MKII GTI or a Corrado for 2,5K and today they are around 10-15K (they will never rocketship the price... but the increment has been a lot). The same for the BMWs E30's or E34's

If I would have to bet, which 996 will have the relatively higher bump on price, I will do it for the 996.1 Carrera 2 manual. A clean unit well optioned is becoming more and more "sexy" every day.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 PM
hartmn
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Greetings,

Yesterday I bought a second owner car. 2001 Carrera 4 Coupe TIP, Biarritz White, Natural Leather Brown. The lady bought it in 2003 after it came off a two year lease from it's original leased location. Dealership 348, Pacific Porsche, Hermosa Beach, CA ( the first service stamp in the book is from Vasek Polak Porsche, so cool) and it has all the service records, and the IMS, water pump, etc etc has been done at 75,000. The vehicle has just turned over to 87,300 on it. No accidents and well cared for paint and interior. All the books and window sticker and keys. Options for the car are leather $4600, Comfort Package $2,090, Techinic Package $2,190, Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor $690, Heated Front Seats Package $400,"High Gloss" TurboLook 18" Whl $2,160, $260 3-Spoke Lthr Steering Wheel AB, Exclusive options are Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes $750, Natural Brown Floor Mats $100. She had it advertised on Craigslist for a month, and then Nextdoor and her starting asking price was at $21,500. A month later she was at $19,500 when I saw the add. I negotiated her down to $17,500! I believe it's a hell of a lot of car for vehicle that originally sold for $89,430 and has been here in the south bay of California all of its life! Is it the not so loved 996.1 among the Porsche crowd? Yes it is! But it's a hell of a lot of car for $17,500 and I am happier than a pig in mud to own it! I will cherish it and love it up! I joined the PCA. Pictures to follow...
Old 11-14-2018, 02:56 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by hartmn
Greetings,

Yesterday I bought a second owner car. 2001 Carrera 4 Coupe TIP, Biarritz White, Natural Leather Brown. The lady bought it in 2003 after it came off a two year lease from it's original leased location. Dealership 348, Pacific Porsche, Hermosa Beach, CA ( the first service stamp in the book is from Vasek Polak Porsche, so cool) and it has all the service records, and the IMS, water pump, etc etc has been done at 75,000. The vehicle has just turned over to 87,300 on it. No accidents and well cared for paint and interior. All the books and window sticker and keys. Options for the car are leather $4600, Comfort Package $2,090, Techinic Package $2,190, Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor $690, Heated Front Seats Package $400,"High Gloss" TurboLook 18" Whl $2,160, $260 3-Spoke Lthr Steering Wheel AB, Exclusive options are Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes $750, Natural Brown Floor Mats $100. She had it advertised on Craigslist for a month, and then Nextdoor and her starting asking price was at $21,500. A month later she was at $19,500 when I saw the add. I negotiated her down to $17,500! I believe it's a hell of a lot of car for vehicle that originally sold for $89,430 and has been here in the south bay of California all of its life! Is it the not so loved 996.1 among the Porsche crowd? Yes it is! But it's a hell of a lot of car for $17,500 and I am happier than a pig in mud to own it! I will cherish it and love it up! I joined the PCA. Pictures to follow...
When was the IMSB done (I assume it's the bearing and not the IMS that was changed? also make sure it wasn't just the flange...there are lots of them floating around) ? rRmember the IMSB is considered a wear item and should be done every 6 years or 50-70k miles... In any case, it seems you got a great car! Good Luck with 'er
Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hartmn
Greetings,

Very cool, and sounds like a great buy -- enjoy!!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:01 PM
hartmn
Instructor

Yes Sir, She put a LN bearing and rear main seal service at the same time. I have the service records, and the advertisement ad from LN engineering of which bearing she used. The cars at Pacific Porsche having a check up. And they called today and said the car was in excellent condition. I did not do the PPI because she just had it in there for a full service and I figured they would have written up any problems had there been any issues. I didn't want to spend another $1000 since she had all the service records! The only request from the dealership was a throttle body cleaning of which I gave them the go ahead to preform. I am also having all for rims re chromed because she didn't apparently know how to set up the memory seats to point the mirror down at the curb while parking! The passenger side rear rim had curb damage and when she took it in for service the car wash blew off some of the chrome near the curb damaged area. The dealership put in writing that they would honor the repair to the new owner and I didn't want just one of the rims looking new and shinny. The other three rims do have some signs of road/curb damage so we are doing all four! It will take about ten days. I cant wait to get it back and start using some clay on the paint and foam pads to make it really shine and feel little a baby's bottom!

Last edited by hartmn; 11-14-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling fat finger spelling
Old 11-14-2018, 05:52 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you’ll have a great car soon. To be clear, Deporto was saying that the LN replacement IMSB is a wear item that needs to be replaced periodically (unless the PO installed the IMS solution). So depending on on how long ago that was done, it may need to be done again sooner than later. Check LN’s website for more info.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 PM
hartmn
Instructor

Jllphan,

The previous owner (PO) did it at 75,000 miles! The car now has 87,300. But I will definitely look at it closer in the records.

Hartmn
Old 11-14-2018, 10:45 PM
SFaikel
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Almost worth it to buy just for a parts car...
Very true, seems like it would be profitable to part out at that price. It's almost a shame that the market for these are so low. I feel like good cars are turned for parts more often than we know.

My take; I work in construction management and have been looking for a Jeep that can get dirty/dusty running between jobs as a daily driver. Heck, for the same price or less I could have a daily 996 along side my garage queen 996, hahaha
Old 11-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I suspect something is quite wrong with this car at this low price. The lowest priced car I’ve even seen worth buying was $15k, but most any decent 996 should be in the $18-$22k range.

I’ve been tracking 996 prices for four years and they have bottomed out. So from here, they almost certainly won’t drop. If anything, at some point, they will have to go up. Might take a few years or even longer, but they will increase, even if only due to supply, inflation, and “vintage” status.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 AM
firecall
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I suspect something is quite wrong with this car at this low price. The lowest priced car I’ve even seen worth buying was $15k, but most any decent 996 should be in the $18-$22k range.

I’ve been tracking 996 prices for four years and they have bottomed out. So from here, they almost certainly won’t drop. If anything, at some point, they will have to go up. Might take a few years or even longer, but they will increase, even if only due to supply, inflation, and “vintage” status.
Supply and demand will be a driver for prices.

I'd have seriously considered a good 964 or 993 over a 996. But they are just too expensive and in short supply, for what they are.

Even with the worries about the engines, the 996 is a better modern car - faster, more power, better handling, generally more reliable, more comfortable, air-con that works and so on.

So people wanting a 911 that can't afford new will begin to look to the 996.

And personally, I think there is a large appeal in the early cars. I love the simple interior of my early 996. No GPS or gadgets or massive centre console. Just the basics and those wonderful dials with the orange segmented LED displays. It looks amazing and timeless to me.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:05 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
No affiliation, I just came across the ad. Clean CarFax, I wonder what’s wrong with it?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...aff=share_text
The only thing wrong with it is that it's silver and grey!
This car is priced to sell, not sit...

Quick Reply: Low cost 99 996 for sale in Chicago area