Sponsored by:

Prices on 996 on the rise - 1998 996 for AU$58,900 at Richmonds

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:40 AM
firecall
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prices on 996 on the rise - 1998 996 for AU$58,900 at Richmonds

Dont tell me this doesn't look like an amazing car!

http://richmonds.com.au/portfolio/19...e-911-carrera/

Manual Silver 996 with black interior and GT3 alloys.

What the internet says about the 996 and those early lights and what the public thinks are two different things. I have to say, a good early coupe 996 is a very rare thing over here in Australia.

Plus, I just bought almost this exact car with way less miles but in tiptronic form with 3-spoke steering wheel and traction control a couple of months back for $15k less. :-)
Old 11-07-2018, 07:48 AM
Skits2112
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It’s every bit an amazing car

What every pissant follower says about fried egg headlights and continually harping on IMS failures is clear testament that most speak just to hear themselves knowing that they have nothing intelligent to add to a conversation.

996/986 headlamps are a direct borrow from the GT1; talk about lineage! Who ever bemoans that a GT1 is ugly?

A 911 is a race car for all tense and purposes. Treat it like one, change the oil ridiculously often and no IMS failure will ever visit you. Fail to rev it beyond 4500 rpm and change oil like it’s a Camry (no offense intended) and expect to have a lovely paperweight parked in your driveway.

I think (depreciation aside) that 996 prices were artificially depressed by the air cooled crowd and automotive journalists that were looking for something to write about.

Prices are finally normalizing and rightfully so for a design that was far ahead of the norm for its time and still competes among the best today.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Locally, asking prices of good 996s are starting to exceed prices for similar mileage 997s.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

A few relevant points... 1) AU prices are highly inflated as compared to US (i.e. Aussie $ weal compared to US). Regardless of this, it’s still a high price, which leads me to point 2) Asking price is relatively meaningless unless it actually sells for the asking price...3) Even if it does sell for the asking price, that doesn’t mean it’s not an aberration - you really have average the selling price over many cars to make any sort of claim to rising prices...
Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

What you're asking and what you're getting are two separate things. The company that is selling this 996 for a near 60 grand believes that a fool and a sucker is born every second.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:14 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The first 911 I ever sat in was a 1981 911SC. It was a 60K mile car, relatively clean, and they wanted $17K for it about 20 years ago.

It certainly was not a generation of 911 that was without its common problems.

Newer generations solved previous problems but had their own.

People who couldnt afford a 993 bought a SC

Now people who cant afford a 993 are buying a 964, etc, etc.

Our generation is nothing different.

Porsche life cycle it seems.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:27 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

I'm just glad I got mine when I did and sometimes feel like it's a dream...Now, onto replacing the other two O2 sensors that failed last night.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:24 PM
sir996
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it is a $42,000 AUD car all day long which is approximately $30,000 USD (still by UD standards it would be $15k USD over the money) , however in Australia we start with a lux car tax which adds 45% to the retail price in the beginning and this along with a smaller population and therefore limited imports the AUD cars will be more expensive always.

But awesome cars none the less - love my 2001 C4 Lapis Blue 6spd coupe 53kms (34kmiles) at a pprice of $49 AUD - 18 months ago

Last edited by sir996; 11-07-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: adding detail
Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
A few relevant points... 1) AU prices are highly inflated as compared to US (i.e. Aussie $ weal compared to US). Regardless of this, it’s still a high price, which leads me to point 2) Asking price is relatively meaningless unless it actually sells for the asking price...3) Even if it does sell for the asking price, that doesn’t mean it’s not an aberration - you really have average the selling price over many cars to make any sort of claim to rising prices...
Australia dollar is stronger than the US dollar, by a large margin as always...
1 AUD = 0.73 USD
EDIT: this is wrong, I inverted it lol

Last edited by I am the Walrus; 11-07-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: I am wrong
Old 11-07-2018, 08:18 PM
firecall
Advanced

Originally Posted by dporto
Yes and no. It's a leading indicator.

As someone that looked for a good 996 for a long time, I'd have considered this car. It's a little high, but it would have been on the list.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:22 PM
firecall
Advanced

Originally Posted by DGI
The first 911 I ever sat in was a 1981 911SC. It was a 60K mile car, relatively clean, and they wanted $17K for it about 20 years ago.

It certainly was not a generation of 911 that was without its common problems.

Newer generations solved previous problems but had their own.

People who couldnt afford a 993 bought a SC

Now people who cant afford a 993 are buying a 964, etc, etc.

Our generation is nothing different.

Porsche life cycle it seems.
Living where I do - a very hot dry climate - I sort of wanted a 996 for the modern conveniences like aircon that works in 42c heat.

I used to own a 2.7S - great car but a constant maintenance headache. Still - I'd like to own both - an old aircooled and the 996.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time will tell. I think the 996 is the first "modern" 911. I like the size and it will probably the last street version to weigh under 3000 lbs
Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 PM
firecall
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skits2112
What every pissant follower says about fried egg headlights and continually harping on IMS failures is clear testament that most speak just to hear themselves knowing that they have nothing intelligent to add to a conversation.

996/986 headlamps are a direct borrow from the GT1; talk about lineage! Who ever bemoans that a GT1 is ugly?

A 911 is a race car for all tense and purposes. Treat it like one, change the oil ridiculously often and no IMS failure will ever visit you. Fail to rev it beyond 4500 rpm and change oil like it’s a Camry (no offense intended) and expect to have a lovely paperweight parked in your driveway.

I think (depreciation aside) that 996 prices were artificially depressed by the air cooled crowd and automotive journalists that were looking for something to write about.

Prices are finally normalizing and rightfully so for a design that was far ahead of the norm for its time and still competes among the best today.
Damn right! That's exactly what I keep saying about the 996 and the GT1 lights.

When the 996 came out I owned a very nice 2.7S. I remember the new 996 being a dream car I could never afford. Of course had I kept the 2.7s I could sell it and buy three 996s or a GT3 maybe...

But those lights - never entered my head at the time. Nor did it anyone else IIRC - the 996 was the best selling 911 to date and saved Porsche. Now the Boxster - I remember thinking that I didn't like the back of it. Never did I think that the Boxster would make my 911 look cheaper. It's like accusing the 912 of making the 911 less valuable. No, you just assumed that people with a Boxster couldnt afford a 911. Although fast forward 20 years and the modern Cayman is a valid drivers choice over the newer 911.

I also think that design history will favour the early lights over the 2002 Turbo lights update. The smoother simpler shape is just better looking IMHO. I work in automotive marketing - I think about this stuff all day long - so if someone wants to argue, just know you are wrong LOL ;-)

We see now the modern version of these lights in Porsche design language on the Macan and so on. The 996 fits right in and looks like part of Porsche's design history.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by firecall
Damn right! That's exactly what I keep saying about the 996 and the GT1 lights.

When the 996 came out I owned a very nice 2.7S. I remember the new 996 being a dream car I could never afford. Of course had I kept the 2.7s I could sell it and buy three 996s or a GT3 maybe...

But those lights - never entered my head at the time. Nor did it anyone else IIRC - the 996 was the best selling 911 to date and saved Porsche. Now the Boxster - I remember thinking that I didn't like the back of it. Never did I think that the Boxster would make my 911 look cheaper. It's like accusing the 912 of making the 911 less valuable. No, you just assumed that people with a Boxster couldnt afford a 911. Although fast forward 20 years and the modern Cayman is a valid drivers choice over the newer 911.

I also think that design history will favour the early lights over the 2002 Turbo lights update. The smoother simpler shape is just better looking IMHO. I work in automotive marketing - I think about this stuff all day long - so if someone wants to argue, just know you are wrong LOL ;-)

We see now the modern version of these lights in Porsche design language on the Macan and so on. The 996 fits right in and looks like part of Porsche's design history.
Spot on mate. Cars that were considered “quirky” years ago are now considered unique and sought after. I’m pretty sure years from now the MK1 will be considered this way because of the headlights and the early cars having the better motor. All you have to do is look at the 912 and 914 to see where this is going. Those were not considered a hot commodity back in the day. Now though....
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by firecall
Yes and no. It's a leading indicator.

As someone that looked for a good 996 for a long time, I'd have considered this car. It's a little high, but it would have been on the list.
Its going to be “leading” for a looooooong time

to the “weak dollar” reply - Yes, I thought I might have that wrong... I’m still not sure I understand why (seems backwards to me...it’s weaker which makes it worth more ) whatever - I get it thanks for the fact check

Quick Reply: Prices on 996 on the rise - 1998 996 for AU$58,900 at Richmonds