Sponsored by:

Danmar M6: Perfect 996 Home Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:43 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Danmar M6: Perfect 996 Home Lift

Finally got around to putting in my portable 2 post lift this weekend. Should make changing the water pump & thermostat a breeze! If I remember correctly, I have my posts spaced at ~130" apart from their outside edges.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:03 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Nice.
How tall is it?
I wonder if it would fit into my garage.
It would be nice to have a lift at home.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:05 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Congrats! You're going to love it.

I had the prior version for a few years, and it made every job easier (perfect for 996 engine drop, amongst other things). The height is ideal for wheel, tire, brake, suspension and bumper work. It was just a tad too low to do work on sitting upright underneath but worked in a pinch for most things.

This version looks like everything good about the old one, but with ALI certification and automatic locking stops. The older style had a steel round rod that you had to manually insert into holes as the safety - the style you got is much better.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:06 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Nice.
How tall is it?
They are designed to fit in an 8' tall homeowner height garage ceiling. The max lift is 48", so it has some limitations. If you have minimal headroom, it is a terrific setup. It is also portable, you can wheel it out of the way when you don't need it. Setup and teardown takes 10 min or so.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:13 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911
They are designed to fit in an 8' tall homeowner height garage ceiling. The max lift is 48", so it has some limitations. If you have minimal headroom, it is a terrific setup. It is also portable, you can wheel it out of the way when you don't need it. Setup and teardown takes 10 min or so.
Sounds like it might work for me.
I've been thinking about getting a QuickJack, but this 2-post might be better.
I have a 2 car garage, but only have parking space for one vehicle due to my three large toolboxes computer stand (with oscilloscope) and battery charger/starter, AC refrigerant recovery machine, sand blaster, welder, tire rack, portable AC unit, jack and jack stands, and huge trash and recycle bins.
So I'd need something non-permanent.

Hoping to move some of my tools to a permanent shop location soon.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

That is awesome. Someday. But I did the thermostat and water pump on my back. A lot more economical that way!

Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Nice.
How tall is it?
I'll take a measurement when I get home this evening. I have a 17'x19' 2 car garage in LA, so it having a small footprint was a key purchasing decision.

There is enough room for my to walk between the wall between and the post on the other side, and enough room for me to open the door on my side locker without hitting the lift. This is what's next to the lift, so just enough room for everything and having enough working room. In my original post I said ~130", that is in reference from the outside sides of the base of the lift; in other words the widest measurement you can take. I plan on routing the hydraulic lines through the ceiling and possibly wall mounting the pump to clear up some floor space. My ceiling isn't terrible tall, and there is a still a good amount of space. When I re-finished my garage, I installed a lift master 8500 (wall mount unit) to clear my overhead space.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:19 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cds72911
Congrats! You're going to love it.

I had the prior version for a few years, and it made every job easier (perfect for 996 engine drop, amongst other things). The height is ideal for wheel, tire, brake, suspension and bumper work. It was just a tad too low to do work on sitting upright underneath but worked in a pinch for most things.

This version looks like everything good about the old one, but with ALI certification and automatic locking stops. The older style had a steel round rod that you had to manually insert into holes as the safety - the style you got is much better.
Planning on welding up an extra low stool so I can still wheel around under it while sitting. That being said, the bottom of the engine will still be very accessible from the rear of the car and spark plugs will be a breeze once you remove the rear wheels.

Yep, the safety latch is what drove me to spend the few extra bucks. No regrets there! Bought it during the labor day sale; saved a few hundred bucks and got free shipping. Didn't get around to putting it up till after finishing most of the garage reno.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:21 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like it might work for me.
I've been thinking about getting a QuickJack, but this 2-post might be better.
I have a 2 car garage, but only have parking space for one vehicle due to my three large toolboxes computer stand (with oscilloscope) and battery charger/starter, AC refrigerant recovery machine, sand blaster, welder, tire rack, portable AC unit, jack and jack stands, and huge trash and recycle bins.

I started at looking high end jacks/jack stands. Then that put me in the Quick Jack price territory. Then for a few hundred more, you can get a maxjax. Add a few hundred more, and you can get the Danmar M6. At least that's how I rationalized it. See my previous post; definitely worth waiting for a sale!

P.S. put the trash cans outside!
Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweet victory
P.S. put the trash cans outside!
Not allowed to put them out front except for pickup day.
Putting them in the backyard is a pain.
The garage is the most convenient place for my wife.
Not so convenient for me.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:34 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I started at looking high end jacks/jack stands. Then that put me in the Quick Jack price territory. Then for a few hundred more, you can get a maxjax. Add a few hundred more, and you can get the Danmar M6. At least that's how I rationalized it. See my previous post; definitely worth waiting for a sale!!
Well I need to get something to make working on cars at home easier.
I'm no spring chicken, so I have to work smarter.
Laying on my back under a car for an extended time is a bit tougher on me than it used to be.
The QuickJack is a little better than using jack stands, but not a lot.
Sitting on a stool while working underneath would be nice.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

I'll take a measurement when I get home this evening. I have a 17'x19' 2 car garage in LA, so it having a small footprint was a key purchasing decision.
Man, between the Snap-On box and the lift, you've got a nice little workshop going despite the size. Looks like a great space to pass a weekend in
Old 11-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice setup! My question is which one is more expensive, the snapon toolbox or your 996 ?
Old 11-05-2018, 04:49 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Nice setup! My question is which one is more expensive, the snapon toolbox or your 996 ?
The MSRP of the box is more.

Buuuut no one pays MSRP for a box. I bought mines at the Music Metal Franchise trade show. $4k rebate + 25% off. Brought everything down to roughly $19.5k for the 84" roll rab, SS power top, work center top, and right hand power locker. If you ever drive head up my way and are in town, send me a PM and stop by!
Old 11-05-2018, 04:51 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Ah! I'm envious. I've been pretty close to buying a Danmar Max Jax several times when I see them pop up on Craigslist. Is this the newest version of it?

Quick Reply: Danmar M6: Perfect 996 Home Lift