Sponsored by:

996 hardtop experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Anders Flodin
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 996 hardtop experience

So I searched the forum for something on mould (fungus, white stuff) accumulating in the folded down softtop when driving with the hardtop under winter conditions (meaning the colder season, not necessarily snow and ice) as well as permanent creases in the top fabric from extended storage in the down position, but I did not find anything.

Reason I am asking is because my experience with the Saab 93 convertible and miata convertible is just this, mould and creases in the fabric. Since I am now the proud owner of a 996 (and 951 and 928) I was considering having a hardtop for the winter months in NC. So what is the experience of the forum, can you "safely" drive around with the top folded and hardtop on for 2 months or will there be issues? Car is garaged.

Thanks for reading,
Anders
Old 10-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey, good timing, I just put my hard top on for the winter.

I haven't heard of mold problems, however you should make sure all your drains work correctly and also only fold the soft top down (for the winter) when its clean and dry. Also check all the sealing on the hard top, my rear seal had shifted somehow and I had to pull it off and replace all the VHB holding it in place.

I did my hard top early (it hasn't really rained here yet) as I didn't want to risk the weather getting rainy and my soft top not being totally dry. My garage is open and a little leaky so not ideal.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:57 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Agreed. I've never had a problem with mold or mildew in my detached, unheated garage. When I'm putting the top down for the winter, I stop it about two thirds of the way and make sure it folds nicely. I also put a clean towel between the folds to protect the plastic window.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:57 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Love my hardtop. The previous owner of my 996 had the hardtop on for two years with no harmful repercussions.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:29 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

The way the hard top sits, if the top is dry when you put it down then no water can get in.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Agreed. I've never had a problem with mold or mildew in my detached, unheated garage. When I'm putting the top down for the winter, I stop it about two thirds of the way and make sure it folds nicely. I also put a clean towel between the folds to protect the plastic window.
I forgot to mention about the stop and fold part way down. I didn't add a towel to mine, I'll remember next year..
Old 10-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Anders Flodin
Advanced

Thanks guys! Good input!
Old 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

For what it worth, I’ve never had a hard top on my Porsches. The heat in the cabin seems to be adequate on the 996. I live in Chicago where it can get quite cold.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:41 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
For what it worth, I’ve never had a hard top on my Porsches. The heat in the cabin seems to be adequate on the 996. I live in Chicago where it can get quite cold.
It's hard to explain but it feels like a different car with the hardtop on. I look forward to the change back and forth. Something different.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:40 PM
searching4996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, I just bought the car and found a leftover hardtop that I bought and am painting. Even with just the ride to the paint shop I could tell it felt better.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Anders Flodin
Advanced

Originally Posted by searching4996
Same here, I just bought the car and found a leftover hardtop that I bought and am painting. Even with just the ride to the paint shop I could tell it felt better.
That was my experience too from the miata hardtop, now the miata softtop is the thinnest simplest and much more noisy than the saab softtop that is thicker and has an inner lining, so the difference soft-hard will be more noticeable in miata than in a 911.

And the look is different, I like the the hardtop version of the 911, looks really good just as the soft-top looks really good but a bit different.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

It's hard to explain but it feels like a different car with the hardtop on. I look forward to the change back and forth. Something different.
Good to know. I’ve looked around for a hard top, but never could find one in good enough condition. And then there was also the problem of where to store it. I could have built a shelf or pulleys in the garage I suppose.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:03 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Good to know. I’ve looked around for a hard top, but never could find one in good enough condition. And then there was also the problem of where to store it. I could have built a shelf or pulleys in the garage I suppose.
I was lucky. The previous owner bought the $600 Tequipment wall mount and included it in the deal. You could probably fabricate something simple. It just hangs upside down with the bayonet mounts resting in U-shaped holders. There are DIY plans around for building a hoist for it.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

I was lucky. The previous owner bought the $600 Tequipment wall mount and included it in the deal. You could probably fabricate something simple. It just hangs upside down with the bayonet mounts resting in U-shaped holders. There are DIY plans around for building a hoist for it.
Would you mind taking some close up pics of the hardtop holder and how it holds the hardtop? Would like to make one myself!

Quick Reply: 996 hardtop experience