Facelift model glovebox wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:07 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Facelift model glovebox wiring

Hi guys,

I'm "upgrading" my first generation car's dashboard to one with a glove box - which is fun. I'm sorted on the air duct changes but have a question regarding the glove box lighting circuit. Obviously the earlier cars have no provision for this and whilst I can pick up a 12v supply from all sorts of places, I'd like to copy what Porsche did.

Alas I can't seem to find this section of the wiring diagram for the later cars - I'm expecting it to be on Sheet 8 (this is where the internal lights are detailed on early cars). Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Z
Old 10-04-2018, 10:06 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I looked through the wiring sheets and cannot find anything on the glove box lighting circuit. Looked through the supplemental wiring diagram as well. All I could turn up was Fuse D10 was for some optional circuit. Don't know if that is correct for the glove box lighting.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:35 PM
ZG862
Racer

Thanks Joe.

I had the same problem trying to locate them in the earlier wiring manual - took me ages. Forget the nonsense I told you about sheet 8 - I double checked and it is sheet NINE, captioned "Central Locking System, Alarm System, Interior Monitoring, Radio Remote Control, Anti-Drive-Off Lock" (phew - that's a mouthful). I guess the logic is that none of that list of stuff is supposed to operate if the alarm/immobiliser is armed so the power emanates from there.

I'm guessing that this may have a direct equivalent in your wiring manual? Thanks again for taking the time.

Z
Old 10-08-2018, 03:11 PM
ZG862
Racer

Bump. Anyone got 996.2 wiring diagrams please?Z
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,029 Posts

The glovebox cars have the glovebox light controlled by the alarm module.
The actual glovebox light is in parallel with the frunk light, engine lid light, and the center compartment light. They all go on at the same time if any of the lids are open. Really!

The glovebox microswitch goes to the alam module so it knows when to trigger the lights. Yes, these lights are controlled by the alarm module.

If you have an early car your alarm module doesn't have the circuits for a glovebox microswitch.

I would recommend wiring the glovebox light in parallel with the center compartment light because that's what Porsche did.
I would recommend wiring the glovebox microswitch in parallel with the center compartment microswitch. You don't want to start changing out the alarm module for the .2 version.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:06 PM
ZG862
Racer

Thumbs up

Excellent! Thanks very much - I'll go back to my diagram and hunt the centre compartment feed.

Z
PS/ Wonder why they have separate sensor switches? Bonkers really...
Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Yes indeed. I had forgotten until yesterday how much stuff is controlled by the DME and Central Alarm System. Makes sense that the glovebox light would also be controlled as are the interior lights, frunk lights, and engine bay light because the Central Alarm System uses those microswitches to detect open/closed zones. Here are the DME connections:

Old 10-13-2018, 03:58 PM
ZG862
Racer

I thought I'd be clever and pick up the front compartment feed at the X1 connector. Don't be tempted to follow this path as it is pretty pointless; The grommets through which the harness passes through the firewall and forward bulkhead are sealed well enough to make it impossible to feed another wire through there. The only positive was that I dealt with the rotten cable wrapping in the scuttle area and have re-wrapped everything that passes through that area and cleaned out a few years of accumulated gunk..

Plan B involves removing the seat and splicing into the alarm system controller connector - which is not ideal if like me you prefer crimping to soldereing/shrink-wrap. Ah well.

Z
Old 10-14-2018, 08:22 AM
ZG862
Racer

I really am a muppet. Having taken the time to actually read the wiring diagram I have, it now seems obvious that I should take the power from either BS7 or junction 79. For any comparing this with their wiring diagram, look on Sheet 9, L8 and L9. Of course BS7 is in the relay panel that I've just bolted back in. Taking the "glass half full" perspective, all 8 positions of BS7 are full so can't add a crimped wire in there anyway. So let's see if I can locate junction 79. Of course, Porsche don't tell you where in the loom it can be found (anyone?). Given that I now have I wire in by the alarm system controller, I could splice into pin 4 of the No.2 (Black) connector. Options, options.

Z

Quick Reply: Facelift model glovebox wiring