Sponsored by:

Frunk Latch Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:29 PM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Frunk Latch Removal

Hi all. Does anyone know of a DIY instruction page that describes how to get to and remove the frunk hood latch mechanism on a 03 C4S? When I pull the switch or use the remote fob to release the frunk, the latch opens, but the hood does not pop up. It did pop when I bought the car, so I know what it should be doing, but now I have to squeeze my fingers under the corners of the frunk and lift it up in order to get to the red lever to full open it. I've heard that there's a spring in there that sometimes breaks, but I want to make sure that's actually the issue before I start buying parts.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2018, 02:41 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

The lock assembly is held on by two bolts. Pretty straightforward thing to remove. You first disconnect the microswitch, then unbolt the lock, disconnect the main actuator cable, and then it will come out. The emergency release cable doesn't need to be removed from lock assembly. That being said, before you go through the trouble of removing it, you may want to consider lubricating the mechanism. It's probably sticking. However, if the hood is not popping up, then it could be out of alignment and/or need new springs. Porsche doesn't sell just the spring; therefore, you'll have to purchase the entire locking mechanism. I'm pretty sure you should expect to pay around $500 for it.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:09 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

Removal as described. There is a spring in the latch mechanism that comes off its post. I fixed mine by getting the spring back on the post, lubricated it well with white lithium grease, and it has been working now for several years.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:27 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where & how exactly do u remove the cable? I took mine off but didn't figure how to remove it..

m
Old 10-03-2018, 06:10 PM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. When you remove the latch, is it difficult to get it re-installed again correctly or does it just go back in with no adjustment needed to get the hood to close correctly?

Quick Reply: Frunk Latch Removal