Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Someone ran a stop sign - now insurance questions

Old 09-22-2018, 04:33 AM
SoCalMark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got paid off for my 2001 996 with 108,000 miles a couple weeks ago. After all said and done and my $750 deductible taken out I received $18,200. The buyback was around $7,500. I paid $16,000 for it almost 3 yrs ago with 82,000 miles on it. I was happy.

I received an 18-page market valuation report on how they determined the value. Basically, it was just an average of what similar ones are going for in my area subtracting or adding for features/miles.

Today I had a PPI done on a 07 997 S so tomorrow I'm going to negotiate a little more with the dealer. If all goes well then I'll be a happy 911 owner again. You don't realize how much you miss or appreciate one of these cars until its gone.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:05 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMark
I just got paid off for my 2001 996 with 108,000 miles a couple weeks ago. After all said and done and my $750 deductible taken out I received $18,200. The buyback was around $7,500. I paid $16,000 for it almost 3 yrs ago with 82,000 miles on it. I was happy.

I received an 18-page market valuation report on how they determined the value. Basically, it was just an average of what similar ones are going for in my area subtracting or adding for features/miles.

Today I had a PPI done on a 07 997 S so tomorrow I'm going to negotiate a little more with the dealer. If all goes well then I'll be a happy 911 owner again. You don't realize how much you miss or appreciate one of these cars until its gone.
That sounds fair, so I feel a lot better.
Good luck on the 997 PPI!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:19 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I paid cash for my car, so no loan.
I guess that helps.

I always drive with my head lights on.

Earlier Wednesday morning I changed lanes twice because I noticed the drivers behind me not paying attention and texting in stop and go traffic.
Then during lunchtime made a run to the post office when the woman ran the stopping.

Someone rear ended my BMW 135i in stop and go traffic and that dropped the value and made it tough to sell even though it was very minor damage.
I don’t plan to sell my 996, but wouldn’t want a blemish on the Carfax!
It's been 3 weeks since my car got hit by little pea stones bouncing out of a dump truck on the interstate.
I called Allstate agent about my car and suggested that I call the gravel company after I get an estimate.
$2967 @ Porsche dealer
Allstate it will go under comprehensive not collision . Allstate will go after gravel company insurance and my deductible.

But I am worried about the carfax history.
Waiting on response from owner of the gravel company .
Old 09-24-2018, 10:39 PM
todcp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife was rear ended while sitting at a red light last Friday; in her 2015 Touareg TDI. The other driver was checking his phone. It is crazy dangerous out there with all the phone use. Initial estimate is just over $4,000. Liberty Mutual is my carrier and the offending driver Progressive. Both companies were in contact with us the same day and very helpful. Progressive informed me the offending driver only had $10,000 coverage so good thing the damage was not greater and my wife was not hurt.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:41 PM
todcp
Instructor

Before having your stone chips repainted take pictures of the damage so a future buyer will know the repaint was not accident damage. This has helped me sell a valuable car in the past.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 AM
cmoody127
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had my E46 M3 totaled out under State Farm. I was very happy with their market valuation/payout and was even able to get them to add on some $$ because I had recently purchased new rear tires.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 PM
SeaBass8
Advanced

How the pay out on a total loss is calculated is going to be specific to state and policy terms and will definitely vary state to state. You will want to call State Farm directly and ask them how your policy is written.

On a standard Massachusetts auto policy Actual Cash Value is used to calculate a total loss pay out. I typically use NADA values to negotiate with the insurance carrier. Usually there is a little wiggle room in their first offer so definitely get data to counter offer. I suspect it will be tougher for the consumer to negotiate with direct insurance writers (GEICO, Progressive etc..) as opposed to working through an insurance agent who advocates on your behalf.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by todcp
Before having your stone chips repainted take pictures of the damage so a future buyer will know the repaint was not accident damage. This has helped me sell a valuable car in the past.
Agree with that
Old 09-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I have my two Porsches insured with Haggerty, did that a few years ago vs. keeping them with USAA. Have $25K agreed upon value with the 996 and 15K agreed upon value with the 951. The premium was about the same and there is no restrictions on driving them. I think I pay about $900 / year for both cars.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:14 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Progressive paid out? That is surprising. I got t-boned by one of their policy holders a few years ago. Lady pulled out of a Steak and Shake and right into the side of my DD. Progressive said it wasn't her fault - which is crazy. Anyway Allstate paid for the repairs to my vehicle and then went after the other driver. She ended up declaring bankruptcy. I live in MO and to this day I do not know how Progessive could say it she was not at fault since she was pulling into traffic.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:22 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
Progressive paid out? That is surprising. I got t-boned by one of their policy holders a few years ago. Lady pulled out of a Steak and Shake and right into the side of my DD. Progressive said it wasn't her fault - which is crazy. Anyway Allstate paid for the repairs to my vehicle and then went after the other driver. She ended up declaring bankruptcy. I live in MO and to this day I do not know how Progessive could say it she was not at fault since she was pulling into traffic.
a 100 dollar dashcam is some of the best money you will ever spend in your life.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Hagerty.

I have agreed policies rated at 45k for my 996 turbo and 30k for my 99 Boxster with 3.4 swap. My policies have no mileage limit and cost me about two hundred dollars more a year than my old traditional policy.

I hope I never have to use the policy but having piece of mind that if something bad happens I won't get screwed is so worth it.
Shawn
Old 10-04-2018, 02:42 AM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I might suggest based on my experience in an accident where my vehicle was rear ended and a total loss, by a drunk driver with low insurance limits ,to review your policy limits .One night in emergency room cost just under $30,000 plus many follow up medical treatments .He had a little more then minimum coverage .If I would have had higher limits I could have piggy backed my uninsured /under insured policies from my three vehicles to pay for medical and property damages ,in calif this is legal.My expenses were paid by his insurer but I don't feel I was compensated enough for pain and suffering .The dui driver was going over 100 mph and hit me ,I was going 60 mph ,rolled four times and skidded just under a quarter mile.In some states you can go after the guilty drunk driver for punitive damages ,problem is no atty will touch it because his insurance limits were to low to be worth it to the atty.I upped my coverage limits by quite a bit and the extra cost is reasonable .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone ran a stop sign - now insurance questions