Sponsored by:

one touch cabriolet operation

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 12:52 AM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default one touch cabriolet operation

Ordered the Bahntech product "topmodule" to allow 1-touch cabriolet action after some advice on this forum. Actually purchased it from the mfr on ebay. Had been looking at the sharkworks product (same functionality), but didn't think it worth the price they were asking.

Finally installed the "topmodule", and it works exactly as advertised. Took about 10 mins to install, and now could do it in less than 5. I had one iteration with Blake at Bahntech, in which he cheerfully tweaked the timing to match the characteristics of my window lift motors. (For the open operation, I wanted the top to come down but then to end before the windows lifted.)

Now I'm going to find the right wire to snip so that the speedometer doesn't interlock with the cab operation. I'll leave the parking brake interlock as the single safety switch.

No relationship to www.bahntech.com, just a happy customer. Thought others might benefit by knowing about this product's availability.

-j
Old 01-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Cydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the Ebay auction#? How much did you pay?
Old 01-21-2004, 02:59 AM
redcab
Racer

here is the auction page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448596405
Old 01-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

That's a good deal you got there redcab. I thought those uinits go for a lot more than that.

Now I'm going to find the right wire to snip so that the speedometer doesn't interlock with the cab operation
I think this is there for safety reasons isn't it? Like it won't work if you go
past 25 mph. I would leave this on IMHO.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:55 PM
redcab
Racer

On the 2001 model, the speed must = 0 for the cab top to be put in motion. Later models allow speeds up to 25 or maybe it's 35 mph. My understanding is that after i snip the speedo interlock wire, I will still have the parking brake interlock on the cab operation . It will a very odd co-incidence when the roof activation button is accidentally pushed (by passenger?) while I'm at speed and the parking brake is still on. I can live with that risk.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:34 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

redcab,
I've done the mod for taking the top down while moving (also left the parking brake engaged fail safe). Takes about 5 minutes...here are detailed instruction courtesy of Loren and BobW. Works great, I've used it below 25 mph without a problem. Can't get to that ebay link, how much was the switch?

1)Park your car and set the e brake. With the convertible top down start raising the convertible top. 1st thing that happens is the convertible top compartment lid lifts and moves all the way rearward, keep raising the top until the convertible top compartment lid just starts to move forward. Then interrupt the closing operation.
2)Remove key from ignition THE CONVERTIBLE TOP MUST NO LONGER BE ELECTRICALLY OPERATED IN THIS POSITION
3)There are right and a left tension cables that goes from the rear of the convertiblt top on the right and left sides to the right and left sides of the deck under the rear of the convertible top.
These 2 cables are 4 inches long and they keep the rear of the convertible top from flipping up. They snap off where they connect to the deck, just push to the side and they will pop off the ball.
4)Lift the rear of the convertible top (the window part) all the way up until it is vertical and have someone hold it there. Now the deck is exposed. You will see 4 black plastic rivets that you just pull out (you can use a small screw driver) and then you can pull the panel rearward to expose the convertible top control module. its the large silver box on the left side of the car mounted on the vertical wall just behind the pop up roll bar, with the 3 seperate connectors going into the bottom of it.
5)The connector all the way to the left with all the small wires going in it is the one that you want.
6)Do not disconect the connector from the control unit, just find the GREY/PINK WIRE and cut it 1 inch before it goes into the connector and put a small piece of black tape on each end and then put a piece of black tape around all the wires.
7)Put the panel back up and push the 4 plastic rivets in and lower the rear of the convertible top that someone was holding and attach the 2 cables to the deck
8)Now put the key in the ignition and raise the top all the way
9) All done, now take out for a test drive. While moving at 10mph raise the e brake 1 click so the e brake light comes on and lower the top. When done release e brake all the way
Old 01-29-2004, 01:52 PM
redcab
Racer

Thanks - 01 C4 Cab NYC, I just finally got around to snipping the grey/pink wire so that now I can operate the top while moving. There was that incredible moment of doubt just before I cut it, like how the heck am I going to put this back together if it's the wrong wire, but fortunately everything worked out. I'd also add to the DIY that while the cables holding the cab roof are off it is the perfect time to clean the inside of the window. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL - I hear ya, I felt the same way. You have the wire in one hand, the cutters in the other, and you're thinking, this better work, or I just made a costly mistake. Glad to here you got you baby back, new RMS and all. Very jealous that you can take the top down....enjoy!
Old 10-02-2016, 12:30 PM
alabamatoy
Intermediate

Funny, in the intervening years, Bahntech.com has reinvented itself as a protein bar maker. Ha!

Quick Reply: one touch cabriolet operation